Logos' Notes Are Counter-Intuitive - QUOTES/Highlights - Please Reconsider...

Page 2 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 68 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 55
Anne H | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 4 2015 2:03 PM

MJ. Smith:

Okay, guys & gals ... who's game to try this

1. Open the resource you highlighted
  2. Do an inline search for the highlighting
  3. Adjust the unit size (verse, paragraph, pericope) to you best fit
  4. Under the resource menu select Print/Export

This ought to come quite close to what you want.

Ok.  I will try it as soon as I restart. Logos just froze on me.  Thank You.! 

Posts 55
Anne H | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 4 2015 3:00 PM

Anne H:

MJ. Smith:

Ok.  I will try it as soon as I restart. Logos just froze on me.  Thank You.! 

This did work better than using clippings for multiple highlights!  It did not retain the highlights though if I simply exported the material to a Word file, even using RTF. Ultimately I printed out the pages and got the full text of the page including the wanted highlights. Perhaps I am too much of a novice with the software, though, and someone else will have the skills to make it print highlights only.  

Thank you MJ for your help! Smile 

Posts 605
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 4 2015 5:41 PM

MJ. Smith:

MJ - Thank you.  I have a question.  I asked it to search the specific highlight (solid color) and then, what do I put in the "Find" box if I want all of the results.  I am not using a Bible, but any other resource from logos or vyrso.

Posts 28965
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 4 2015 6:15 PM

I believe that a PDF preserves the highlighting.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 28965
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 4 2015 6:16 PM

John Fugh, Jr.:

MJ - Thank you.  I have a question.  I asked it to search the specific highlight (solid color) and then, what do I put in the "Find" box if I want all of the results.  I am not using a Bible, but any other resource from logos or vyrso.

I would suspect that a wildcard (asterisk) would work.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 11 2015 4:45 PM

To anybody still watching this thread, I have requested a fix for the issue here:

https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/7084142-amend-fix-the-highlighting-functionality-which-c

I'd appreciate any spare votes that you might have so that it can be brought to the attention of the development team.

Posts 605
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 19 2015 12:29 PM

It's been 8 months since I first asked this.  Although I am not the only one who has raised this, the limitations are frustrating.   Even if truncating the highlights is never addressed, it seems that the printing of the complete or selected highlights from the QUOTES section a possibility since the complete highlighted text is displayed in this section.  We cannot even highlight the text and copy it.

Additionally, the differentiation of the highlight style (blue, red, etc) would be very helpful if it was included in the QUOTE section through either an icon, grouping, or filtering.

Within this thread there is a reference to logos saying this this was in the "bug system" on their end. 

Posts 103
mwk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 20 2015 8:44 AM

I've had an e-mail thread with Logos on this. Originally, a couple of months ago, they said it would be fixed in 6.5. It wasn't. When I wrote back I got this:

"6.5 was where exporting quotes view was scheduled, but circumstances interfered and that team missed the cut-off date. Looking at the code repository, I can see that coding on the feature is now finished and checked in, and is in testing now for release with 6.6."

We'll see.

Posts 605
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 3:57 PM

It seems that printing was enabled for 6.6 Beta 2 6.6.0.0024.  Thank you.  May I suggest that we have a notation of which highlight we used at the beginning of the highlight?  For instance, if it was yellow, maybe a yellow square to the right of the title?

Posts 108
Zak Metz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 7:30 AM

How do you do an inline search for highlighting?

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 8:58 AM

Zak Metz:

Open the inline search tool (A). Click on the search category (B), and select the highlight style(s) you want to search for (C). Put a wildcard in the search box (*).

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1469
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 10:10 AM

Doc B:

Zak Metz:

Open the inline search tool (A). Click on the search category (B), and select the highlight style(s) you want to search for (C). Put a wildcard in the search box (*).

This doesn't work for me.  After I hit enter (or click on the right-pointing arrow), the search just cycles and cycles and cycles--never brings up any search results.  Interestingly however, the notes document that all my highlights are going into (in this case a document titled "The Epistle to the Romans", using the new Logos document title default) is not included as a search location option, although some of the old documents that I created custom highlights for (e.g. Daniel, Romans) are included.

Posts 28965
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 12:20 PM

Did you put a wild card in the search box?

Did you have the appropriate visual filter on?

What version are you running? (See Help -->About Logos --> upper left quarter

Posts 108
Zak Metz | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 16 2015 1:54 PM

I'm getting the same result as Rick...spinning spinning spinning. I have "Basic" search, then "Search grace for" and "*" in the search box...

Oh my gosh, it actually did finish just now. Rick, it may take a few minutes!

Posts 8227
LogosEmployee

Doc B:
Put a wildcard in the search box (*).

This will take a very long time to run.

It will be much faster if you search for the specific highlighting style, e.g.,

{Highlight Color Box Blue}

(or whatever your highlight style is named; see https://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP#Highlighting_Styles for more help.)

(We have a case in our bug tracker to optimise "*" searches to be as fast as {Highlight} searches, but they're currently treated differently by the system.)

Posts 3
Maurice Blackwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2015 1:19 AM

John, did you ever find a good solution to this.  I am attempting to highlight a non-biblical book purchased from Vyrso.  I have highlighted my passages, but I am unable to get a single view of my highlights so that I can print them for studying.  Have you found a way around this?

Posts 3223
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2015 5:23 AM

Man don't even get me started on the notes and highlighting problems- the two should never have been intertwined- without a way to separate them for user preference.

Posts 28305
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2015 5:36 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Man don't even get me started on the notes and highlighting problems- the two should never have been intertwined- without a way to separate them for user preference.

Actually Wendell, this is exactly why you DO want highlights and notes "intertwined." If highlights were merely highlights, it wouldn't be possible to have a quotes view. If you wanted to "look at all of your highlights," you would do what has always been done... flip through the book. Wink

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 28305
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2015 5:46 AM

Maurice Blackwood:

John, did you ever find a good solution to this.  I am attempting to highlight a non-biblical book purchased from Vyrso.  I have highlighted my passages, but I am unable to get a single view of my highlights so that I can print them for studying.  Have you found a way around this?

Are you needing to print the quotes (i.e. the text you have highlighted) WITH the actual highlighting applied? Or are you simply needing to print the quotes? If the later, do the following:

1. Open the note document in question*
  2. Change the "view" to "quotes"
  3. Go to "print/export"
  4. Voila! 

Well, Voila might be a stretch. If you make highlights in what I call "the right way," it is that simple. (This is one of the things Wendell doesnt like... and I agree). The DEFAULT behavior for highlight note documents is for the highlight notes to go into a palette specific note document. In what you are trying to do, this presents two problems:

1. The note document will have ALL the books you have ever highlighted with that pallet, not just the one you are currently studying from.
  2. The book you are studying from will have notes in MULTIPLE documents IF you used multiple pallets. 

That is, of course, ridiculous. If you want to highlight "the right way," you need to change the behavior to "resource specific" so that instead of highlight notes going into a document named for the pallet, it will go into a document named for the resource/book. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3223
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2015 8:13 AM

alabama24:

Whyndell Grizzard:

Actually Wendell, this is exactly why you DO want highlights and notes "intertwined." If highlights were merely highlights, it wouldn't be possible to have a quotes view. If you wanted to "look at all of your highlights," you would do what has always been done... flip through the book. Wink

yes but now you cannot have highlights as purely highlighting- i am having to create pallets for every book I’m studying to avoid issues- but there is so much clutter in the documents section and the notes drop down- so as far as MY opinion- they threw the baby out with the bath water.

Page 2 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS