Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 5 2015 11:15 AM

My friend recently purchased NA 28 which she really likes. However, there is one thing that she is missing now. When she hovers over a word she sees the morphological information, like usual. However, she does not see the translation of the word anymore. Since I don't have NA28 I was wondering what happened. Does anyone know this? And if it is not possible anymore to see it, I was wondering if there are plans to put it in in the future.

Patrick

Posts 9240
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 11:26 AM

Patrick Rietveld:

My friend recently purchased NA 28 which she really likes. However, there is one thing that she is missing now. When she hovers over a word she sees the morphological information, like usual. However, she does not see the translation of the word anymore. Since I don't have NA28 I was wondering what happened. Does anyone know this? And if it is not possible anymore to see it, I was wondering if there are plans to put it in in the future.

Patrick

Patrick, I have the NA28 and it does supply the glosses when you hover over the Greek words. IIRC those were left out initially but have been restored. Even if my memory is not correct, the glosses are there now.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 11:35 AM

Patrick Rietveld:

Patrick

I certainly get the glosses when I hover over the word in NA28 on the desktop. It might be worth your friend typing "update now" in the command box to make sure she's got the latest version. I do seem to remember a problem earlier on with it where the glosses didn't show. If that is the case, then an update should resolve it. The other thing she could try is to see if the glosses appear in the SBL Greek New Testament (a free resource). If they're not appearing there, then it's not to do with the resource file itself but I don't think there is a system-wide setting that would stop them appearing.

It might be worth getting her to upload logs and say what platform she's running on then some of the clever types on the forums might drop by and diagnose the problem.  

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 11:54 AM

The glosses are there in the Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament, 28th Edition, but not with Nestle-Aland: Novum Testamentum Graece, 28th Auflage, which could come up first when you type "NA28" in the command box, depending on which you used, when. Be sure you have the correct resource up!

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 12:02 PM

I bought the Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament, 28th Edition, with Critical Apparatus and it appears in my library as Nestle-Aland: Novum Testamentum Graece, 28th Auflage. I don't have glosses, which is really annoying. I am not sure why they are not included in such a premium product.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 1:08 PM

I have the NA28 with critical apparatus and I am happy to report that I DO NOT have glosses.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9240
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 1:14 PM

Don Awalt:
The glosses are there in the Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament, 28th Edition, but not with Nestle-Aland: Novum Testamentum Graece, 28th Auflage, which could come up first when you type "NA28" in the command box, depending on which you used, when. Be sure you have the correct resource up!

That kicks in the memory of what transpired. Before the apparatus was published (which took over a year) Logos released a version of the NA28 that did/does have the glosses. The newer version that contains the apparatus does not have the glosses. 

If you purchased the NA28 after the apparatus was published, you should have but one NA28 listed in your Library. That version will not have the glosses.

I can only find the apparatus-equipped version on the Logos web site. Restoring the glosses should not be hard. Perhaps we can hear from someone at Logos about why those have not been added.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9240
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 1:15 PM

George Somsel:
I am happy to report that I DO NOT have glosses.

You'd ignore them anyway. Do you actually make use of the morphology, George?

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 1:28 PM

Mark Smith:

George Somsel:
I am happy to report that I DO NOT have glosses.

You'd ignore them anyway. Do you actually make use of the morphology, George?

Well, I sometimes confirm my judgment.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10770
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 1:44 PM

Don Awalt:

Whatever this may mean, it sounds consistent to how NA worked in the previous 27th edition. The blue N-A "Novum Testamentum Graece Edition XXVII" which per its short title is NA 27 with Apparatus does not include the glosses, whereas the red N-A "Greek New Testament 27th edition" does. Maybe the German Bible Society enforces this on purpose.  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 651
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 2:51 PM

Mark Smith:

I can only find the apparatus-equipped version on the Logos web site.

Both are available on the Logos website but the morphology edition is only available as part of a base package.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 2:51 PM

George Somsel:
I have the NA28 with critical apparatus and I am happy to report that I DO NOT have glosses.

I can appreciate this George but my guess is that you would be among the few that would think this way. Personally I really miss not having everything that the NA28 has without the critical apparatus but I still want the apparatus so I have compensated by using the "information" tab instead.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 11075
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 4:10 PM

I'd suspect everyone's waiting on the NA28 McReynolds interlinear.  Except for George.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 9240
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 5:12 PM

Scott E. Mahle:
Both are available on the Logos website but the morphology edition is only available as part of a base package.

I did see that. I should have been more clear. One cannot purchase the NA28 with the glosses independently. So if you don't get a new base package (or have one with it) it's not available to you. I'm not sure I understand Logos' thinking on this one.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 651
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 6:27 PM

Mark Smith:

I'm not sure I understand Logos' thinking on this one.

Neither do I. The apparatus states it contains two separate and distinct resources – the morph text and the apparatus. Why wouldn’t that also contain the glosses?Huh?

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 6:43 PM

Scott E. Mahle:

Mark Smith:

I'm not sure I understand Logos' thinking on this one.

Neither do I. The apparatus states it contains two separate and distinct resources – the morph text and the apparatus. Why wouldn’t that also contain the glosses?Huh?

Because you should use a lexicon, such as BDAG (precisely this one).

george
gfsomsel

Posts 651
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 7:10 PM

George Somsel:

LOL! Well, of course! Why didn't I think of that Stick out tongue Thanks for the reminder, George. Big Smile

Posts 9240
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 7:39 PM

George Somsel:

I do understand George's thinking on this one.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 6 2015 1:05 AM

George Somsel:

George, when you started learning Greek for the first time in your life, did you start using BDAG?

Posts 10741
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 6 2015 3:17 AM

Patrick Rietveld:

George Somsel:

George, when you started learning Greek for the first time in your life, did you start using BDAG?

I'm not George, but I did use BDAG from the beginning. In face, we were forbidden to use anything like the glosses (Logos was not available then). They will only limit your ability to really learn the language.

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS