Default layout question

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 141
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 9 2015 3:25 PM

I am sure this is a simple question and the answer may be obvious but....

When I enter a bible reference and hit go, Logos 6 does its' thing and then returns a view with passage guide and a bunch of other stuff.  One section is group of tabs for various bible versions, another area has one of my commentaries.  All are opened and linked.

I want to remove some of the bible versions it opens and add a different bible version.  I also want to add another commentary tab to be opened. I can hit the x to remove what I do not want, and then hit the + to add what I do want. 

But how do I get it to remember this so that the next time I open Logos and look up a verse it looks the way I left it?

Thanks

Posts 18703
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 3:48 PM

There is currently no way to customize the default layout that the Go button opens up. It has been requested a number of times on the forums, and there is a request for it on UserVoice but it hasn't achieved much traction yet. You might want to go vote for it there and encourage others to do so to raise its profile with Faithlife development.

Posts 26757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 4:38 PM

Stephen Smith:

I want to remove some of the bible versions it opens and add a different bible version.  I also want to add another commentary tab to be opened. I can hit the x to remove what I do not want, and then hit the + to add what I do want. 

But how do I get it to remember this so that the next time I open Logos and look up a verse it looks the way I left it?

What it uses is based upon your library prioritization of Bibles and commentaries. Change them there and they will change in the fault layout.  See https://wiki.logos.com/Prioritizing

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25032
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 6:51 PM

Stephen Smith:

Then you need to save that layout, but load that layout at Startup instead of the Home Page. This means inserting the reference in to the reference box of one of the linked Bibles in the layout.

To change your Startup option go Tools > Program Settings and make an appropriate choice

The 'local' setting means that I load the layout that was saved when I last exited Logos.

If you want to load the exact layout you created choose the name of the layout.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 26757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 9 2015 7:28 PM

Note regarding answers:

1. Rosie's answer assumes that you wish to change the layout not just the resources that show.
  2. MJ's answer assumes that you like the layout and merely wish to change the resources
  3. Dave's answer assumes that you wish to open at the layout and bypass the home page and Go box.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 141
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 3:17 PM

Thanks everyone.

#2 is what I was after and it sort of works.  I was able to prioritize a bible and it now appears in the my passage results in the bible tab area.  However when I prioritized the "The Bible Knowledge Commentary" it does not appear in the commentary tab area upon subsequent uses of Logos.

Posts 26757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 3:29 PM

Very strange as it works for me. Two questions to start debugging:

1. What commentary does appear in the default layout?
  2. Does that commentary appear anywhere in your prioritization list?

Posts 141
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 3:48 PM

The Expositor's Bible Commentary is what pops up.

Below is a screen shot of my prioritizations:

Then when enter Nehemiah 8 in the 'Enter Passage or Topic' box (located to the right of the logos logo and hit go, it does its' thing and then I get the below:

You can see that the expositor commentary is opened and in the right place.  But the "Bible Knowledge Commentary" is not opened at all.  I can of course hit the '+' and select it then it opens.

Thanks in advance for any help, I will check back in a bit once I get home.   As a side note, I am note sure why NRSV appears in the bible area but it is there.

Posts 21986
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 3:59 PM

The commentary tab uses the highest prioritised commentary. If you move BKC above EBC it will appear in the tab

The NRSV appears in the Bibles tab as you only have four Bibles prioritised and so the fifth slot is determined by default prioritisation - some details of which are available at https://wiki.logos.com/Default_prioritisation (courtesy of Mark Barnes)

Posts 141
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 6:41 PM

Thanks, good information to know.  So, it cannot be set to open more than one commentary?

Thanks

Posts 26757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 6:42 PM

Correct, you can change resources are used by the layout but you cannot change the layout itself

Posts 25032
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 6:54 PM

Stephen Smith:

Thanks, good information to know.  So, it cannot be set to open more than one commentary?

Thanks

Which is where option #3 comes inCool

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 141
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 18 2015 1:00 PM

Yes, you are right.  Option #3 brings back what I want but was not really helpful, at first.  Let me explain.

So I did a search for Nehemiah 8, Logos did its' thing and return the results and opened up my bibles and the commentary I prioritized.  The bibles opened are all the ones I want (thanks for the tip on prioritizing them previously) and they along with the commentary are all synced to Nehemiah 8.  I opened the other commentary that I want to open and now I had the two tabs for each of the two commentaries I want to use regularly.  I save the layout.

Next time I open logos, I search for Romans 8, Logos does its thing again and presents everything as previously described sans the additional commentary I would like for it to open on its' own but alas.  So, I go to the layouts and choose the one I had previously saved (based upon option #3) and it opens as I would expect but it is still at Nehemiah 8 including the passage guide.  So I click back into the passage guide and enter Romans 8, and the passage guide does all its' searching and returns results for Romans 8 but my bibles and commentaries all stay at Nehemiah 8.

Rather frustrating.  But.... after much playing around, hovering over things, searching for options I discovered the magic of link sets.  Once I figured out how to set everything into the same link set (A in this case) it all works.

Two things to note about this process.  First, I wish I could just tell Logos to use this layout whenever I perform a passage search.  Second, in setting all of this up and then using the layout it really brings to light how slow Logos 6 is.  At first I thought the software just stopped (it did say it was not responding) but it eventually gets everything loaded and synced.  Performance aside I am happy.  I figure Logos improve the performance over time.

Posts 25032
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 18 2015 1:41 PM

Stephen Smith:
Rather frustrating.  But.... after much playing around, hovering over things, searching for options I discovered the magic of link sets.  Once I figured out how to set everything into the same link set (A in this case) it all works.

We have to let you experience the joy of discovery!

Stephen Smith:
Second, in setting all of this up and then using the layout it really brings to light how slow Logos 6 is.  At first I thought the software just stopped (it did say it was not responding) but it eventually gets everything loaded and synced.  Performance aside I am happy.

We have requested Faithlife to improve the speed of loading layouts (and the response was favourable). But here are a few tips for this layout:

• reduce the number of bibles and use Parallel Resource sets  (slanted | |  icon) to open other bibles in the same panel
  • remove the link set on Text Comparison to improve performance
  • compare fewer bibles for performance
  • try a Horizontal layout (TC menu) to see verse by verse comparisons in columns
  • its panel is too small to be useful, so drag and drop it next to your commentaries (and see how the Information panel grows in size!).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS