Do you like "smart" select?

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 7910
LogosEmployee

Integ:
I reinstalled L6 a few days ago, and it switched smart selection back on. Grr.

The preference is currently (and incorrectly) stored as a "local only" preference, meaning that it doesn't sync to your other computers (or persist after reinstalling). This is a bug we plan to fix in an upcoming release.

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 11 2015 10:06 PM

alabama24:

MJ. Smith:

As is to be expected ...

where is the fallacy hound when you need her... Stick out tongue

if the user has to be "committed to the alt key a lot," that means the "smart select" ain't working "a lot" of the time for someone who likes the feature. I am not opposed to the feature. Just the insistence on shoving it down our throats. 

He has interrupted his perusal of The Course in Buddhist Reasoning and Debate: An Asian Approach to Analytical Thinking Drawn from Indian and Tibetan Sources by Daniel Perdue ro make a cameo appearance.

If I were Faithlife my reasoning would be if Smart Select is turned off by default, most users will never discover the feature to their disadvantage if it works well, to development's disadvantage if it works poorly 'cause they won't hear the complaints. Therefore it is better to have it on by default and easy to turn off temporarily or permanently.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27138
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 4:36 AM

MJ. Smith:
If I were Faithlife my reasoning would be

MJ. Smith:
if Smart Select is turned off by default, most users will never discover the feature to their disadvantage if it works well

<whisper mode> ...because they don't provide adequate documentation... <whisper mode off>

MJ. Smith:
to development's disadvantage if it works poorly 'cause they won't hear the complaints.

Yeah. That's the argument I will buy. I kinda agree. I used the same philosophy when I used to work in a kitchen. I never knew quite how much food poisoning was too much so the user feedback was quite helpful. 

You win. Stick out tongue

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 120
Antonius | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 5:15 AM

I do a lot of highlighting. I do not like it at all.  I turned if off as soon as I figured out how.

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 5:29 AM

I don't like it either and when I finally figured out how to turn it off, I did so immediately.

Charlene

Posts 544
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 6:05 AM

No. Don't like it. 

Posts 1057
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 6:06 AM

I often use for c&p of quotes to my notes files or other works. When it is not selecting as I would like, pressing ALT is simple enough.

On the whole I see smart select as a net positive to Logos.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 13146
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 8:56 AM

I don't dislike Smart Select. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it's annoying. But it's easy enough to press ALT, and for me it saves more time than it wastes.

Posts 589
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 9:33 AM

I turned it off

Posts 2041
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 10:37 AM

Count me among those that like it. It's very different when you're used to something working a certain way for so long, but I think the effect is more useful than not. A modifier that broke on words might be nice.

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
The preference is currently (and incorrectly) stored as a "local only" preference, meaning that it doesn't sync to your other computers (or persist after reinstalling). This is a bug we plan to fix in an upcoming release.

I think it's been mentioned by some before that they prefer the smart select on Windows tablets while preferring the traditional behavior on desktop. This seems like something that should be a local setting in order to allow that flexibility in choice.

Posts 51
David E Haeuser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 10:46 AM

I have the feature turned off in Logos. I often need to select a few words or phrases to copy. What makes that unworkable is that there is no way to back away from an automatically expended selection, as I do often in MS Word, where I can use the mouse to get back to where I was and select just the text I want, even only part of the word if that's what I need. If Logos had that ability, it would be useful.

Posts 8813
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 3:49 PM

Generally I don't mind it but it isn't difficult to change if I want to do so.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1614
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 5:02 PM

Like several others here, I don't like smart select.
But it's not a problem, since we have the option to turn it off.

Posts 71
Brian Huddleston | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 6:33 PM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

I actually would prefer it to remain a local preference.  I like it on my laptop when using its track pad, but tend to turn it off on my desktop when using a regular mouse.

Wylie, TX

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 6:55 PM

Brian Huddleston:

I actually would prefer it to remain a local preference.  I like it on my laptop when using its track pad, but tend to turn it off on my desktop when using a regular mouse.

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5235
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 7:13 PM

I don't like it at all... I can see how it could be useful for some but I do not want it on.

-Dan

Posts 24482
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 15 2015 2:34 AM

Does anybody think I like it (or Case Frames...)?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 3629
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 15 2015 7:18 AM

alabama24:
<whisper mode> ...because they don't provide adequate documentation... <whisper mode off>

Should be called "Smart Select for Dummies" Stick out tongue

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 15 2015 7:58 AM

I do not like it.  I agree with Doc B and Rayner. It should default to off.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1499
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 15 2015 9:09 AM

I don't like it.

However, I do like it in Microsoft Word. But that's because Microsoft's version is "smarter." It will start smart selecting, but then if you move your mouse around a little, it will realize you don't want smart select, and will just turn it off for that word, so you can select part of the word. Plus, it only selects words, not whole sentences or paragraphs.

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS