Reading Plan (Non-biblical Resources)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 13
Levi Sisemore | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 13 2015 12:40 PM

I’m a Gold 5 and Gold 6 customer, with an additionally smattering of (mostly) non-academic resources. I’m a preacher, not a theological egg-head. Geeked

I am having trouble with the Reading Plan feature (and I’m completely willing to believe that it’s a user / "ID10T Error" rather than an issue with Logos). Smile

So I would like to read – say – 12 non-biblical books each year in Logos. I would love to be able to make a list of those books, drop them into the Reading Plan-maker, and it auto-generate a list that will – by chapters – get me through my books by the end of the year (or whatever date I select). Ideally I’d also like a button that would recalculate my schedule from “today” if I get too far behind.

I do have a "Collection" of the books I’d like to read in a year already made.

Now, I can create twelve 1-month plans, each with one book. I would prefer that all twelve books be on the same list, however, since they’re not all of equal size and not all books have 30/31 chapters to fit nicely into a month.

However, even when I create a one-book-one-month plan, I run into another significant problem: The items in my book like “Table of Contents,” “Forward,” “Title Page,” etc., are regarded by Logos as chapters in the book and are weighted the same as chapters. The generated plan has me reading the Table of Contents for a whole day of the Reading Plan!

Help, Logos Gurus!

Posts 22356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 12:56 PM

Hi Levi - and welcome to the forums

Levi Sisemore:
So I would like to read – say – 12 non-biblical books each year in Logos. I would love to be able to make a list of those books, drop them into the Reading Plan-maker, and it auto-generate a list that will – by chapters – get me through my books by the end of the year (or whatever date I select).

Sorry - you can't create Reading Plans for collections, just for individual books.

Levi Sisemore:
However, even when I create a one-book-one-month plan, I run into another significant problem: The items in my book like “Table of Contents,” “Forward,” “Title Page,” etc., are regarded by Logos as chapters in the book and are weighted the same as chapters. The generated plan has me reading the Table of Contents for a whole day of the Reading Plan!

This is an issue in the current stable release. The latest beta of the next version will now break on page boundaries (but I don't think chapters) as opposed to ToC entries as per https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_6.1_Beta_6  I am not sure when this will ship to the stable channel but I expect it should be in the next few weeks (but we can never be certain)

You could create Custom Reading Plans for each book - which would give you much finer control - but it would require more work.

See https://community.logos.com/forums/p/92820/643950.aspx#643950 and https://community.logos.com/forums/t/96897.aspx for some thoughts about this. But note these are not currently supported on the mobile platforms.

Graham 

Posts 13
Levi Sisemore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 1:12 PM

Graham,

Thank you for helping me to clear this up. That’s too bad that I can’t do a whole Collection at a time. I’ll go on record as calling that a feature for my wishlist.

Custom Reading Plan

I click “Custom Reading Plan” and I’m having trouble adding any resources. My choices seem to be “Drop a shortcut here,” “Choose an open resource,” and “Type in a reference.”

Of these…

“Drop…” I’m not sure where to “pick up” that which I’m supposed to “drop.”

“Choose…” is ghosted an unclickable. However, I have a resource open in a floating window (just so that I can keep an eye on it through this process).

“Type…” does not give me access to many of my resources at all. In fact, if I type “A” and all it to suggested titles, the only ones that come up are “CTAa,” “Hammurabi A,” “Lawcode of Lipit-Ishtar §a,” “Middle Assyrian Laws A,” “Testament of Asher,” and “Ugaritic Texts a.”

Levi

Posts 22356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 1:35 PM

Hi Levi

Do the steps at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/92820/652037.aspx#652037 and later posts to that thread help clarify this?

Graham

Posts 13
Levi Sisemore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 1:58 PM

Graham,

A-ha! Epiphany! I was not having any luck even with the method you described in the post to which you directed me (which I’d already read before I posted originally). I couldn’t find any “navigation box” for the book I had open.

Then I recalled something I read a long time ago: Vyrso books don’t have page numbers (and, thus, do not support page-based navigation). The book I was using as test case is a Vyrso book (specifically “Jesus: A Theography”).

I changed to a bona fide Logos book, followed the rest of the instructions, and the “Choose an open resource…” button was no longer ghosted!

So, as far as having the ability to create a Custom Reading Plan, we’re limited to Logos books, not including Vyrso titles, correct?

That still doesn’t let me do all that I’d like to do, but it sure clarifies some things for me about the inner workings of the Logos engine.

Thanks so much!

Levi Sisemore

Posts 22356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:26 PM

Levi Sisemore:
So, as far as having the ability to create a Custom Reading Plan, we’re limited to Logos books, not including Vyrso titles, correct?

Not exactly - although Logos books with page numbers are certainly more flexible.

In the screenshot below I have opened a Vyrso book and selected some text - on the left of the screen I have the Create Reading Plan dialog open and - because I have some text selected - I can select "Choose an Open resource"

When I do this, this is added to the session for the plan

And when I click "Add Session" it is added to the plan I am creating

Repeat as required!

It takes work but it is possible.

Posts 28121
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:36 PM

Levi Sisemore:

I don't know the answer to your question. Truth be known, I haven't even touched the new reading plans... and won't until they begin to sync with mobile. My reading is ALWAYS done on my iPad. 

The funny thing is that Vyrso resources were for a time superior to Logos editions because you could create "a chapter a day" (or week, etc.) for many resources because the reading plans broke based on the TOC. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 28121
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:39 PM

Graham Criddle:
And when I click "Add Session" it is added to the plan I am creating

Is a "reading" created based upon the text highlighted? Are there instructions on this somewhere (I will check the wiki in just a sec)?

EDIT: Here is a link to the feature announcement: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/92820.aspx?PageIndex=1 

Posts 22356
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:58 PM

alabama24:

Is a "reading" created based upon the text highlighted? 

That is one of the options - and probably the best option if you want to be precise in setting up reading plans in Vyrso resources

Posts 28121
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 3:30 PM

I assume that an update to the resource will <potentially> break the plan. Anyone know?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS