Basic search syntax question from Leviticus

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 190
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 14 2015 4:21 AM

Hi all - I'm trying to find occurrences of the peace offering where it occurs on its own in the OT (if there are any).

I've used "peace offering? ANDNOT burnt" (to exclude burnt offerings) but this doesn't work in Numbers 7:17 for example as I think ANDNOT only searches the same verse - whereas Num 7:15 mentions the burnt offering.

I'd like something like "peace offering? ANDNOT WITHIN 50 WORDS burnt" but this syntax isn't recognised by logos.  Any ideas how to solve this problem and exclude references to burnt offerings?

Thank you!

Posts 2565
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 14 2015 4:42 AM

I have L6, but I think you should have Bible Sense Database in L5. If so try this:

L6 has an interactive on Israelite Feasts and Sacrifices that shows 7 Peace offerings that involve Burnt offerings. I know you do not have the interactive, but the list of verses may be helpful to you.

Posts 190
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 14 2015 5:05 AM

Thanks for posting the results John - I appreciate your time ... the results of the interactive item in L6 posted are quite 'interpreted'  though - it omits Num 7 for example.  As for the Bible sense option in L6, unfortunately that search didn't yield any results so it seems it's not in L5.  Any other ideas as to how to search for peace offerings without burnt ones?

Posts 2565
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 14 2015 5:58 AM

If you perform a basic search on the biblical text, it searches beyond the verse limits. If you include other terms that are implying a "burnt offering" such as cattle, bulls, goats etc. in this search you can find a few verses that have "peace offering" without those terms within a chapter of the biblical text. However, the 3 I found all speak of sacrifices on the altar. You can play with this search further to suite your needs.

Posts 190
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 14 2015 6:10 AM

Yes John, that gets close, but it still picks up Num 7:18 using "peace offering?  ANDNOT burnt" or omits it if I introduce more specific terms like lambs but then peace offerings can use lambs so that's not ideal at all.

Perhaps the search I'm looking for is impossible?

Anyone else have any ideas how to search the following syntax: a ANDNOT WITHIN 20 WORDS b?

Posts 1428
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 15 2015 9:14 AM

Paul Chatfield:

Thanks for posting the results John - I appreciate your time ... the results of the interactive item in L6 posted are quite 'interpreted'  though - it omits Num 7 for example.  As for the Bible sense option in L6, unfortunately that search didn't yield any results so it seems it's not in L5.  Any other ideas as to how to search for peace offerings without burnt ones?

I'll look into the issue with the interactive and Num 7 on Monday. 

Thanks!

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 13421
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 15 2015 9:45 AM

Paul Chatfield:
I've used "peace offering? ANDNOT burnt" (to exclude burnt offerings) but this doesn't work in Numbers 7:17 for example as I think ANDNOT only searches the same verse - whereas Num 7:15 mentions the burnt offering.

Bible searches always search the same verse, no matter what operators are used.

Paul Chatfield:
I'd like something like "peace offering? ANDNOT WITHIN 50 WORDS burnt" but this syntax isn't recognised by logos.

You can't do this, unfortunately.

A basic search for "peace offering" ANDNOT burnt might be your best bet.

Posts 190
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 16 2015 10:54 AM

Thanks Mark - I didn't realise they always searched the same verse.  That's a shame but good to be aware of.  Thank you also Rick for looking into it. :)

Posts 1428
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 9:33 AM

Hi Paul (and John)

Paul Chatfield:

Hi all - I'm trying to find occurrences of the peace offering where it occurs on its own in the OT (if there are any

Paul Chatfield:

... the results of the interactive item in L6 posted are quite 'interpreted'  though - it omits Num 7 for example.

Paul, you're searching strictly for instances of the peace offering, and then interested in where those do not mention other offerings, specifically the burnt offering. Correct?

The list from the interactive that John posted is of where a mention includes both Peace and Burnt offerings — this is why Num 7.17 was not included in his list; it does not mention both peace and burnt. So I think it is in the interactive data, it just wasn't in the list generated by John's query that specified both peace and burnt offerings.

At present, with the interactive, there is no way to exclude data from a column; so there is no way to say "peace but not burnt". I'll suggest that as a possible improvement.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS