Encyclopedia Britannica for Noet is here

Page 4 of 8 (143 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 142 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 5:34 PM

Mark Barnes:

According to the video, if this was in print it would have more than 33,000 pages. That equates to around a third of a cent per page. Frankly, I don't really care what it's equivalent to or not. I'm just glad it's available, and amazed it's only $100.

I agree.  The print volumes used to cost thousands.

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 6:14 PM

Mark Barnes:

According to the video, if this was in print it would have more than 33,000 pages. That equates to around a third of a cent per page. Frankly, I don't really care what it's equivalent to or not. I'm just glad it's available, and amazed it's only $100.

Dear Sherri,

Is the promotional video correct?  Does the Noet set actually consist of 32 volumes (33,000 print pages)?  I question this description because it would, indeed, be the size of the the print Micro/Macropaedia.  Could you please fact check this for us with Britannica: that the Noet set would be the equivalent of 32 print volumes at over 1000 pages a piece?

Thank you for all your help.

[Side Note for others on this forum:  I noticed that the video does not claim this resource has that many pages or volumes, but that the print equivalent (i.e., the Micro/Micropaedia) would have so many pages.  Equivalent does not necessarily mean "same."   For example, a Suburban is the Chevy equivalent to and Cadillac Escalade.  My word processor is equivalent to my father's typewriter in how I use it.  Nutra-sweet is equivalent to sugar. . .   I think you see what I mean.  This is why I want to verify this assumption of ours that the Noet edition is indeed 33,000 print pages - which would make it larger than the last print edition of the the Encyclopedia Britannica.  

Posts 603
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 6:32 PM

Sherri is surely a model for "unwearied patience," and we are grateful. Before anyone says, "Sure, Steve, but that's her job," I'll add: before I retired from the pastorate I was supposed to be patient (well, I guess I still am!), but that didn't mean I always cooperated with  the Spirit's fruit of patience.

Now for a question I haven't seen asked yet: with all those pictures, and however many tens of thousands of pages, how many GBs would one be adding?

Posts 2062
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 6:51 PM

steve clark:
he might purchase it for the computer that my grandkids share.

Oh EULA land, sweet EULA land.

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 6:53 PM

Steve Maling:

Sherri is surely a model for "unwearied patience," and we are grateful. Before anyone says, "Sure, Steve, but that's her job," I'll add: before I retired from the pastorate I was supposed to be patient (well, I guess I still am!), but that didn't mean I always cooperated with  the Spirit's fruit of patience.

Now for a question I haven't seen asked yet: with all those pictures, and however many tens of thousands of pages, how many GBs would one be adding?

Thank you so much for your kind words, Steve! I really appreciate it :)

As to your question, it's my understanding that since the product isn't ready yet (we still need to go in and tag authors, dates, media, etc.), we don't know what the file size is. I'll double-check with our products team and get back to you as soon as I can!

Thanks again,

Sherri

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 7:08 PM

Michael Sullivan:

Dear Sherri,

Is the promotional video correct?  Does the Noet set actually consist of 32 volumes (33,000 print pages)?  I question this description because it would, indeed, be the size of the the print Micro/Macropaedia.  Could you please fact check this for us with Britannica: that the Noet set would be the equivalent of 32 print volumes at over 1000 pages a piece?

[Side Note for others on this forum:  I noticed that the video does not claim this resource has that many pages or volumes, but that the print equivalent (i.e., the Micro/Micropaedia) would have so many pages.  Equivalent does not necessarily mean "same."   For example, a Suburban is the Chevy equivalent to and Cadillac Escalade.  My word processor is equivalent to my father's typewriter in how I use it.  Nutra-sweet is equivalent to sugar. . .   I think you see what I mean.  This is why I want to verify this assumption of ours that the Noet edition is indeed 33,000 print pages - which would make it larger than the last print edition of the the Encyclopedia Britannica.  

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your patience! Your side note is correct--Ben was merely trying to make a comparison to better articulate the functionality of EBNE--this edition does not have 33,000 print pages. The reason for this is that EBNE has never been in print--it's only existed as a digital database, so Britannica doesn't have information on page count/volumes. The EBNE has fewer articles than the 32-volume set, but is more media-rich, with thousands of images, videos, and maps not included in print editions.

Sherri

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 7:11 PM

Sherri Huleatt:

we don't know what the file size is. I'll double-check with our products team and get back to you as soon as I can!

Thanks again,

Sherri

The bigger the size, the better the Encyclopedia! Bigger means more info. 

This was an insta-buy for me.

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 7:31 PM

Thank you, Sherri, for all the information your have provided.  

I think I am able to picture what the this product will be like.  Now, I just have to determine if it is a right fit for me.

Posts 89
LogosEmployee
Sherri Huleatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 7:34 PM

Michael Sullivan:

Thank you, Sherri, for all the information your have provided.  

I think I am able to picture what the this product will be like.  Now, I just have to determine if it is a right fit for me.

No problem, Michael! I'm happy to help :)

Posts 27686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 8:41 PM

Gao Lu:

steve clark:
he might purchase it for the computer that my grandkids share.

Oh EULA land, sweet EULA land.

Very clever. Smile

I don't think there is an issue, however. Steve was saying that his SON might purchase it so that STEVE's grandkids (Steve's son's kids) would have access to it. Bob has defined "one user" to include children living at home. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 17 2015 11:06 PM

Sherri Huleatt:

Michael Sullivan:

Dear Sherri,

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your patience! Your side note is correct--Ben was merely trying to make a comparison to better articulate the functionality of EBNE--this edition does not have 33,000 print pages. The reason for this is that EBNE has never been in print--it's only existed as a digital database, so Britannica doesn't have information on page count/volumes. The EBNE has fewer articles than the 32-volume set, but is more media-rich, with thousands of images, videos, and maps not included in print editions.

Sherri

The impression given in the video is that it is the equivalent of the full 32-volume encyclopaedia that is on sale. This now appears to be misleading. Are you going to withdraw or re-edit the video?

I guess US advertising standards are different from those we expect in the UK.

Posts 212
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 18 2015 1:03 AM

To get an idea of the average length of an article: 10 million words in 19,000 articles is an average of 526 words per article. That's half a A4 with 11pt text (Calibri font).

To compare: The Anchor-Yale Bible Dictionary has 7 million words in 6,000 articles, so an average of 1166 words per article. That's more than twice the number of words per average article.

Posts 427
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 18 2015 4:10 AM

Slightly OT, but this might add to the discussion: is it possible for me to get the COMPLETE current Britannica electronically at all? Or in no cases do their electronic offerings equate the paper copy?

This might affect whether I decide to go with the prepub or not. Thanks!

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 18 2015 4:39 AM

To get the complete Britannica, your have to subscribe to Britannica.com.  It's $70/year.

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 18 2015 4:54 AM

Simon:

To get an idea of the average length of an article: 10 million words in 19,000 articles is an average of 526 words per article. That's half a A4 with 11pt text (Calibri font).

To compare: The Anchor-Yale Bible Dictionary has 7 million words in 6,000 articles, so an average of 1166 words per article. That's more than twice the number of words per average article.

Thanks for doing the math.  I must have missed  or "disregarded" the word count in the original advertisement, but averaging the article size like this is very helpful for me making a decision.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 18 2015 5:08 AM

Sherri Huleatt:
The EBNE has fewer articles than the 32-volume set, but is more media-rich, with thousands of images, videos, and maps not included in print editions.

Will the images, videos, and maps be available offline?  Curious about estimated resource size for download?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 18 2015 5:54 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Will the images, videos, and maps be available offline?

Yes.

Posts 139
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 18 2015 6:06 AM

I was fairly excited about this but I do not understand how this compares to the 2013 Deluxe Edition DVD which is a fifth of the cost on the Britannica website.  This one says 19,000+ articles but the 2013 Deluxe says it has 82,000+

Am I missing something here?

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 18 2015 7:05 AM

Mark Smith:
I am vacillating on this one

I agree with you Mark. I'm having a difficult time deciding (and like George, I tend to keep things once I've purchased them even if I'm not that happy with the product). I have an older version of the Britannica DVD (when my kids were much younger I upgraded every other year). I used to wish I had the ability to have it tagged to Logos but now that this option is nearly here I'm not sure of its value for my library -- especially as someone mentioned that the articles are not in depth but meant to be jumping off points for other resources (and perhaps for resources that I do not currently own). 

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 18 2015 7:35 AM

I just found out something interesting.  Some US public libraries allow free remote access to Britannica online through their website (as long as you have a library card).  Through my small town I was able to access the High School edition of Britannica.  Pretty neat.  

Page 4 of 8 (143 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS