What commentary is a good straight through read?

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 963
JohnB | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 19 2015 2:45 AM
I occasionally see people comment that a specific commentary volume was a good read in its own right. Can anyone recommend a good non-technical commentary as a good straight through read (giving both the series and specific volume) and why. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Posts 21725
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 3:14 AM

Are you looking for a commentary on a specific book?

Posts 1385
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 3:21 AM

I started to read the Tyndale commentaries series (the paper version) about 10 years ago, and I am half-way through, alternatively reading the NT and OT volumes.

https://www.logos.com/product/8593/tyndale-commentaries 

In my opinion, this is a good starting point, then I am ready to meet any theological views and I can ponder additional interpretations, historical background information and original language details

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 3:25 AM

Bible Speaks Today are excellent for this, IMO. If you want something more Expository, then the Preach the Word series, or the Reformed Expository Commentary Series are both also excellent.

But the very best 'read-through' IMO is Dale Ralph Davies' six commentaries from Joshua-2Kings in the Focus on the Bible series. They can't be beat.

Posts 2034
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 3:42 AM

Good Suggestions.  Also consider Warren Wiersbe's "Be" Series.  

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 3:45 AM

I recommend  Tom Wright's 'for everyone series' for the New Testament and Goldingay's for everyone series for the Old Testament.

Both these are formidable scholars with a way of writing that is clear yet profound.

For a different slant on quite a few sections of the Bible (and hence a challenge to preconceptions) you could try the Africa Bible Commentary.

I am reading through he Wright and Goldingay series this year against the M'Cheyne reading plan.

I used the Africa Bible Commentary last year. 

Posts 2314
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 3:58 AM

The only "commentary" I have read straight through is the Four Fold Gospel, and I'm not sure it would really classify as a commentary.  I did find it helpful and interesting.  It can be bought separately, but is included in many base packages.

https://www.logos.com/product/1116/the-four-fold-gospel

Posts 617
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 4:15 AM

Mike Binks:

I recommend  Tom Wright's 'for everyone series' for the New Testament and Goldingay's for everyone series for the Old Testament.

I agree with Mike. If you are just looking for a commentary to read through, it's hard to beat this series IMHO.

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 4:42 AM

Mark Barnes:

Bible Speaks Today are excellent for this

That was my first thinking as well.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 5:07 AM

NB.Mick:

Mark Barnes:

Bible Speaks Today are excellent for this

That was my first thinking as well.

OK next year then - when the Old Testament section becomes available?

Posts 26129
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 5:12 AM

For the New Testament, Reading the New Testament series

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 290
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 7:15 AM

Ryan B:

Mike Binks:

I agree with Mike. If you are just looking for a commentary to read through, it's hard to beat this series IMHO.

I agree with both Mike and Ryan.  I am almost done with Wight's NT series and will then move on to Goldingay's OT series.

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 7:43 AM

John,

Here are some I think fit your criteria:

Dale Ralph Davis: Joshua, Judges, 1 & 2 Samuel, 1& 2 Kings in Focus on the Bible Commentary. Good writing and thinking.

Karen Jobes: Esther in NIV Application Commentary. From a former Sunday School teacher turned seminary professor. Has thought through a lot of the ethical issues in the book and practical application. (I haven't used her BECNT volume on 1 Peter enough to comment on that.)

Timothy George: Galatians in the New American Commentary. As D.A. Carson states this commentary is sui generis. One of the best models of commentary writing I've ever experienced. My only regret is that George hasn't written others.

Gordon Fee: D.A. Carson states "Fee couldn't be boring if he tried." His commentaries on 1 Corinthians, Philippians, and 1 & 2 Thessalonians in NICNT are highly readable. His shorter IVPNTC contribution on Philippians is good, too.

I agree with others that many of the BST volumes are highly readable.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 162
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 8:11 AM

While I rarely read a commentary from cover to cover, I can say the the following were some of the ones I found to be quite enjoyable:

George Guthrie, Hebrews (NIVAC): In my opinion this is the best commentary in the whole series. It is the perfect blend of scholarly and practical, and it more like a monograph and less like a commentary.

Gordon Fee, Philippians (NICNT): This commentary is a bit more technical than Guthrie's. Nonetheless, you cannot find a more passionate commentator! Fee is the gold standard for how to write a NT commentary without having read like a lexicon or encyclopedia.

Peter O'Brien, Hebrews (PNTC): Much like Fee, O'Brien has mastered the art of commentary writing. I have yet to find him dull or dry, and his Hebrews commentary is probably the best volume in the Pillar New Testament series—with his Ephesians volume following closely behind!

Cliff

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 8:15 AM

Cliff,

while you are here: how about the readability of Spiq?

(And when can we try at it for ourselves?)

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 162
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 8:31 AM

NB,

Thanks for the question regarding Spicq. This is a technical commentary, filled with Hebrew, Greek, and German. It is not for the faint of heart, but like anything difficult the payoff is great!

As to your second question, I unfortunately do not have an answer to that right now. I will see what I can find out.

Cliff

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 9:02 AM

The Boice Commentary Series.

Posts 877
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 9:18 AM

I, as a conservative Baptist, still enjoyed reading through the JPS Torah Commentary on Numbers. 

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 19 2015 9:20 AM

Mark Smith:
Karen Jobes: Esther in NIV Application Commentary. From a former Sunday School teacher turned seminary professor. Has thought through a lot of the ethical issues in the book and practical application.

Ooh, yes. This is superb. One of the best commentaries on any book of the Bible I have ever read.

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS