Ridiculous Update Sizes of 396 Megs!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Posts 26
Jefferis Peterson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 19 2015 8:32 PM

I am concerned that something is wrong with this install of Logos 6.  I installed my version from a USB drive because I have a slow Internet connection. It will take 3 -8 hours to download a 1/2 gig update.  Today, Logos is saying I have a 396 Meg update to download.   The problem is, the downloads seem to always crash or fail and it sets my computer fan revving.  It sits at ZERO % for hours. 

2/19/15 10:35:12.693 PM discoveryd[51]: Basic Sockets SetDelegatePID() failed for PID[15245] errno[3] result[-1]
2/19/15 10:35:15.231 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.mdworker.bundles[78916]) Could not find uid associated with service: 0: Undefined error: 0 503
2/19/15 10:35:15.232 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.mdworker.bundles) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
2/19/15 10:35:25.240 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.mdworker.bundles[78917]) Could not find uid associated with service: 0: Undefined error: 0 503

I don't understand why a simple update needs to replace the entire program and software and resources.  This is not cool.  I have 

Logos Bible Software 6.0a SR-2

6.0.1.1328  on my laptop.

And  on my desktop, I keep getting notifications of downloads ready to install, but when I try,  they fail saying Update error, please try again later. I don't know if this is a problem, but while 6.0.2.64  seems to work  I also have  6.0.2.75  which does not. I don't remember installing 2 versions of this program. 

It would be very helpful to me at least if this download of an update is in a package somewhere on my computer, I could use my Flash drive to move it from one computer to the other so I don't have to jam up my Internet access for hours on end.   If there is one, what folder does it go to on a Mac? 

TIA,

Jeff

Posts 4552
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 20 2015 12:56 AM

Hi Jeff,

I understand your frustration. I would go barmy if my Internet were that slow.

Jefferis Peterson:
 I don't understand why a simple update needs to replace the entire program and software and resources.

Version updates of the Logos Engine only replace the engine - actually the engine is quite small (comparatively) and I have always thought that this method of updating was better than having the problems of making incremental changes to an existing installation. I imagine the problems of that approach would be really cumbersome and prone to error on a multi-platform program like Logos.

However the upshot is that it is only the Engine that gets replaced - not your library or other resources when we get a new version.

There are instructions for installing on more than one computer in the Wiki - though who knows how long it will take you to open the page.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - I hope some of it was helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS