Logos 6 Search Speed and Internet Connection

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 79
Operation Evangelism | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 21 2015 10:33 AM

Does the speed of your internet connection have any bearing on the speed of your search?

Thanks for clarification.

Chris

Posts 24245
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 11:11 AM

Operation Evangelism:
Does the speed of your internet connection have any bearing on the speed of your search?

No - as searching is done on your local computer.

There are some exceptions to this in some sections of various Guides but straight searches are local

Are you seeing particular issues with searching?

Posts 5159
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 11:11 AM

Operation Evangelism:

Thanks for clarification.

Chris

No! It shouldn't.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 13
Kirk Doss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 1:25 PM

My basic searches (i.e. typing a quick chapter/verse from the home page) are always slowed down a lot due to the fact that the Passage Guide comes up with every search.  I have tried saving new layouts without the Passage Guide, but it comes back every time...so that really slows down my use of Logos 6 when all I want to do is start reading a passage with my default link set commentary and such opening...but I seem to get the Passage Guide as well no matter what my link set contains.  I am sure that I am missing something pretty simple, here, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 1:49 PM

Kirk Doss:
I am sure that I am missing something pretty simple, here, so any help would be appreciated.

I don't know if it is simple, but what you are missing is starting with a saved layout with your Bible and favorite commentary linked rather than starting from the Home Page Go bar. You and I cannot control what opens from a Go bar search.

I'd recommend that you open Logos to a saved layout rather than your home page. That setting is on the Program Settings panel accessible from the Tools menu

The Home Page Go bar is not a very good way to use Logos in my opinion, partly for the reason you mentioned.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 26372
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 2:52 PM

Kirk Doss:
My basic searches (i.e. typing a quick chapter/verse from the home page) are always slowed down a lot due to the fact that the Passage Guide comes up with every search. 

See other responses at https://community.logos.com/forums/t/101195.aspx but note that you should start a new thread for your issues so as not to take attention away from the issue (Search speed and Internet) in this thread.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 31293
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 4:47 PM

If you really want a search, you probably want to click on the magnifying glass (upper left) to bring up the search tool. It will give you nothing but the search results and allows you to control what is searched. Entering a passage or topic in the Go box of the home page in intended to be a "quick start" feature.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13
Kirk Doss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 22 2015 1:40 PM

Mark,

Thank you very much!  I am now opening to my saved default layout, and not only is the Passage Guide not showing up and slowing me down, the initial load speed just to get in to Logos has improved noticeably.

Kirk

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 22 2015 2:53 PM

Yes

Kirk Doss:

I am now opening to my saved default layout, and not only is the Passage Guide not showing up and slowing me down, the initial load speed just to get in to Logos has improved noticeably.

Kirk

And you can still get to the Home Page when you want to. 

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 79
Operation Evangelism | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 23 2015 8:52 AM

Graham Criddle:

Operation Evangelism:

No - as searching is done on your local computer.

There are some exceptions to this in some sections of various Guides but straight searches are local

Are you seeing particular issues with searching?

Doing some searches in "everything" and using two different internet connection speeds (one slow and the other significantly faster), the results were roughly the same and perhaps have more to do with whatever system processing may be happening in the background. Just wanted to confirm that I think there does not seem to be anything hinging directly on speed of the internet connection.

Thanks to all for your insights.

Chris

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS