Personal Books Problem

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 32
Stanton | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 22 2015 9:35 PM

I am running Logos 5 on both a PC and a laptop.  I had to reload Windows 8 on my laptop.  When I did I had reload Logos.  This meant redoing my Personal Books on my laptop.  My problem is that when I redo my PB on the laptop, I have to redo it on my PC.  Then I have to redo it on my laptop.  Then I have to redo it on my PC.  How can I stop having to redo the same PBs over and over again.

Thanks for any help.

Stanton

Posts 32
Stanton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 22 2015 10:50 PM

The book will open; however, when I edit the book there is a symbol that gives the message that the file is not found.  This means that I can't edit the book or rebuild it.

Stanton

Posts 21998
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 22 2015 11:26 PM

Stanton:
The book will open; however, when I edit the book there is a symbol that gives the message that the file is not found.  This means that I can't edit the book or rebuild it.

Sorry I don't understand. What do you mean when you say "edit the book"?

I can't see that option in the Personal Books tool. Are you talking about changing some of the descriptions, adding in a new source file or something else?

Posts 21998
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 22 2015 11:27 PM

Stanton:
How can I stop having to redo the same PBs over and over again.

When you say "redo" do you mean Building the book or something else?

In Logos 5 Personal Books do need to be built on each computer. (In Logos 6 there is the ability to sync them from one computer and they will then be downloaded to others)

Posts 18710
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 22 2015 11:30 PM

Hi Stanton,

I can understand why in Logos 5 you'd have to rebuild all your PBs on both machines, because Logos 5 and earlier did not have syncing of PBs. But I'm not sure why you have to redo the PB twice on both machines. Are you still in the process of editing it, and do you mean that every time you make a change to the source document you have to rebuild it on both machines?

Are you able to upgrade to Logos 6 (the free core engine)? If so, it has a new feature that will save you some time rebuilding all your PBs separately on each computer. In Edit mode on a PB, there's now an Upload button. Once you've built and uploaded that PB once, the built version of it will sync to all your machines. If you make changes in the source (.docx) file, you will need to rebuild it on that one computer, and I think you also need to re-upload it. Not sure about that, as I haven't tested it.

It's always still a good idea to keep backups of your PBs' .docx files, in case you ever have to reinstall Logos and for some reason the PB sync doesn't work, and also in case you ever need to fix a typo or something in one of your PBs.

Posts 18710
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 22 2015 11:32 PM

Graham Criddle:
What do you mean when you say "edit the book"?

I assume he means edit the source file (.docx) in Word, then when he comes back to the PB tool (on the other computer where the file is not located), it says it can't find the file.

Stanton, note also that the metadata stored with each PB in the PB tool includes the full path to the location of the .docx file(s). If you've moved the files from the path they were in on your previous installation, you will need to rebuild them all. Better to try to put them all back into the same folder as where they were before.

Posts 32
Stanton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 28 2015 8:57 PM

Thanks to all who have taken time to answer or wanted further information about my problem.  The problem is if I build a PB on my PC, when I try to open the PB on my laptop I would get a message telling me that I don't have permission to view this resource.  Therefore I would have to build it on the laptop.  Before I reloaded Windows, I could save the source documents to the laptop and link the PB to the source documents on my laptop and not have any problem; however, now when I do this, I have a triangle warning sign that reads "can't find file."  When I first saw the warning triangle I thought that I would get the message that I didn't have permission to view this resource, so I rebuilt each PB on my laptop.  Then I would see the same warning triangle on my PC, so I would rebuild it on my PC.  Then repeat on my laptop and then repeat on my PC.  By rebuild or edit, I meant deleting the old files and adding the same files again and then building the book again.

While I do from time to time make changes in the source documents in a PB, usually when I create a PB I will do one chapter at a time.  After I finish a chapter I will add it to the PB and click on the build book button.  An example, I recently completed editing the comments on Hebrews 12 of a commentary in a Word document.  I added it to the PB that I had already built on my PC;  however, it is not available for me to use on my laptop.

I have tried to install the free Logos 6 core engine tonight; however, I got a message that there was a newer version already installed and would not install the Logos core engine.  So I am a stand still.

Thanks again.

Stanton

Posts 21998
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 28 2015 10:59 PM

Hi Stanton

Stanton:

I have tried to install the free Logos 6 core engine tonight; however, I got a message that there was a newer version already installed and would not install the Logos core engine.  So I am a stand still.

Exactly what version of Logos software are you running on each machine?

To check, click the "?" at the top right of the Logos window and select "About Logos Bible Software"

Graham

Posts 32
Stanton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2015 8:37 PM

The Logos 6 core engine installed itself on my laptop; however, I have been able to install it on my PC.

If you have any questions or suggestions, I would appreciate any help and/or will answer any questions.

Stanton

Posts 32
Stanton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2015 8:41 PM

I am running the following on my PC: Logos Bible Software 5.2b SR-9 (5.2.2.1629) .  I don't know about my laptop; however, the Logos 6 Core Engine did install itself on my laptop.

Stanton

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 1 2015 9:50 PM

Stanton:
The problem is if I build a PB on my PC, when I try to open the PB on my laptop I would get a message telling me that I don't have permission to view this resource. 

One option is copying compiled pbb files from one Logos installation, then scan into other Logos installation(s).

1. Build Personal Book (PB) in one Logos installation
  2. Sync to Logos servers (upload PB license)
  3. Copy compiled lbspbb file(s) from Resources folder to USB or Dropbox or ...
  4. Switch to different Logos installation
  5. Sync with Logos servers (download PB license)
  6. Use command: scan <path>  where <path> has folder containing lbspbb file(s) on USB or Dropbox or ...
  7. Restart Logos
  8. Resource discovery should copy lbspbb file(s) from scan <path> to Resources folder then index PB's

By the way, copy and scanning lbspbb file(s) avoids having to change path to docx for building on different platforms, then build.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 4 2015 8:41 PM

Stanton,

I am having a somewhat similar problem. I had Logos 5 and Windows 7 on both my Desktop and Notebook. I compiled a number of PB on my Desktop and they all compiled and opened ok. I could see them listed as Personal Books on my Notebook but never tried to open them there.

A while back I upgraded both to Windows 10 Technical preview. In the process I lost my original Resource Documents on my Desktop but understand I don't need them any longer anyway unless I plan to edit them and recompile. At any rate, I didn't notice initially.

I later installed Logos 6 Core on both Desktop and Notebook. When I launch Loos 6 and open PBB from the Tools menu I see a list of my previously compiled books but none of them will open, each one telling me that I don't have a valid license to view this resource. I realize that I can't Edit the PB because as I mentioned earlier, I lost my original  resource documents but don't understand what license it is talking about or why.

I can compile and open PB's that are compiled on Logos 6 with no problem and of course I can also edit them since I have all of my resource documents (starting over) in one sub-folder of my Documents folder.

Michael

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 4:23 AM

Rev. Michael L. Burns:

I later installed Logos 6 Core on both Desktop and Notebook. When I launch Loos 6 and open PBB from the Tools menu I see a list of my previously compiled books but none of them will open, each one telling me that I don't have a valid license to view this resource. I realize that I can't Edit the PB because as I mentioned earlier, I lost my original  resource documents but don't understand what license it is talking about or why.

1. the pbb tool isn't really intended to be the place to open personal books... It is the place to edit and build them. You should be able to open them on the computer you originally compiled them on, as long as you didn't delete your entire installation. You do this through the library. Search for the book or filter by edition:u
  2. Again, the metadata (title, author, etc) always synced... But the book itself did not. 
  3. The license message is a generic warning meaning "you don't have access to use this resource." FL probably should have created a special message for personal books. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 11:23 AM

alabama24:

Rev. Michael L. Burns:

1. the pbb tool isn't really intended to be the place to open personal books... It is the place to edit and build them. You should be able to open them on the computer you originally compiled them on, as long as you didn't delete your entire installation. You do this through the library. Search for the book or filter by edition:u
  2. Again, the metadata (title, author, etc) always synced... But the book itself did not. 
  3. The license message is a generic warning meaning "you don't have access to use this resource." FL probably should have created a special message for personal books. 

I must have somehow deleted everything in the entire installation. When I run a filter on my Library using edition:u  I only see the two books I've compiled since upgrading to Logos 6. By-the-Way, how can I create a collection of only my compiled Personal Books?

Michael

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 12:44 PM

Rev. Michael L. Burns:
By-the-Way, how can I create a collection of only my compiled Personal Books?

Same as the library filter:

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 3:49 PM

Alabama24,

Thanks for the quick reply. Due to operator head space, that emptiness between the ears, I had created about 12 Collection name "My Personal Book Collection".

Michael

Posts 28
Owen Frethey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 3:08 PM

Hi alabamba24:

I have the same problem. I didn't realise it but now I have Windows 10, I can see only 3 of my ...? Personal Books.

I'm getting the same response ie. "You don't have the license ... "

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 29 2015 3:32 PM

Owen Frethey:

Hi alabamba24:

I have the same problem. I didn't realise it but now I have Windows 10, I can see only 3 of my ...? Personal Books.

I'm getting the same response ie. "You don't have the license ... "

please create a new thread in the L6 forum and provide appropriate details. NOTE: the compiled personal book only syncs when YOU tell it to do so. Typically the reason for the warning is given when a user tries to open a personal book 1) he did not compile on given computer and 2) he didn't sync compiled book. The metadata ALWAYS syncs. 

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS