Personal Book Problem I Obviosly Created

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 2 2015 3:37 PM

Over the past year or so I have seen a number of Personal Book Resource Files on the Files section of the Logos/forums. I have downloaded them in to a sub directory of desktop into my documents folder. I name it "My Personal Book Resource Files" and compiled my books from there. Worked great. My problem began when I mistakenly assumed (My Problem #1) that after the book was compiled I would no longer need the originals except for backup.

About a month ago I noted that I  even though my personal books showed up on my notebook when using Logos 6, they wouldn't open because the source files were missing (Problem #2). Looking into this was a low priority because I am almost always using my desktop computer.

Shortly after it became available, I upgraded my Desktop to Windows 10 Technical Preview (really like it). I know, you should never experiment on a live system but I did (My Stupidity). I therefore created Problem #3.  Logos 6 has been working flawlessly as far as I can tell. At any rate, today I came across another book I wanted to compile and when I was getting ready too I noticed that all the book I compiled recently had a yellow icon next to them stating the resource could not be found like my Notebook. Investigation revealed that almost all Documents files were gone including the sub-folder containing my resource files. Have to reinvent the wheel again and start over.

I was lucky that my Sermons, Corresponded and Bible Studies for the past 30 years were backed up on two separate  drives in a folder called My Office Documents. About the only thing I kept in the stock Documents folder was the resource files.

Why do the resource files always seem to have to be on the drive? Why can't they be removed intentionally or as I did, by a stupid mistake? Why can't I use them on my other systems?

Rev. Michael L. Burns

Posts 26858
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 2 2015 4:06 PM

I'm not sure I understand.  I can move (or remove) a source file without effecting the compiled book. If I go to edit or recompile, I see a yellow triangle showing me it has no access to the source in which case I change the path or title as needed.

But you failed to give some critical information by placing this in the general forum.

1. what version are you running?
  2. What operating system are you on?
  3. Do you have multiple installations so that you may misremember which machines the PB has been compiled on and which it has not?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27780
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 2 2015 4:12 PM

The source documents aren't necessary, but only the metadata syncs... Unless you manually upload the compiled file in L6. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 2 2015 7:55 PM

I have Logos 6, Windows 10 Technical Preview, and all Personal Books were compiled on my Desktop using Logos and  Windows 7 at the time.  When I click Edit I get the yellow triangle saying that the files cannot be found. I think I may have found the problem though. I am using the Logos 6 core program right now, just recently got out of the hospital and haven't had the money to upgrade yet. All my Personal Books are listed but when I try to open one I get ab error in the window that opens sating that I don't have a license to view this resource.

Michael

Posts 27780
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 2 2015 8:17 PM

Rev. Michael L. Burns:
All my Personal Books are listed but when I try to open one I get ab error in the window that opens sating that I don't have a license to view this resource.

That is the warning you should get when you try to open a personal book on a system you didn't compile the book... with the following two exceptions:

1. You manually copied the compiled book over to the new system and used the "scan" method.
  2. You used the "upload" feature for that specific resource within L6.

If you are getting the license warning on the computer which you DID compile, then something isn't right... 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 2 2015 10:53 PM

I just compiled a book which appears to have compiled succesfully and the book opens correctly. Only see the problem on books compiled using Logos 5 and always tells me I don't have a license to use this resource.

Michael

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 2 2015 10:58 PM

I did compile the books with the errors all on this same computer back when I had Windows 7 Professional. I have Windows 10 Technicle Preview on it now. It looks as if something didn't make the transition when I went from 7 to 10.

Michael

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS