Syncing devices

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3466
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 5 2015 3:05 AM

Does Logos allow syncing between devices? When I'm reading a resource on my iPad and make notes or do any kind high lighting I thought these would automatically be carried over or synced with other devices?

And vice versa, when I'm reading a resource on my desk top, doesn't Logos allow those mark-up to be synced to my iPad?

Also, doesn't Logos prompt you where you last left off reading? For example: if my last page read was 29 on my iPad and then I open up the same resource but on my desk top, shouldn't my desk top resource automatically go to page 29 with the prompt of "last page read." Something like Kindle does between devices.

mm.

mm.

Posts 23012
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 3:12 AM

Milkman:
When I'm reading a resource on my iPad and make notes or do any kind high lighting I thought these would automatically be carried over or synced with other devices?

This should happen automatically - assuming you haven't disable Internet use on your desktop

Milkman:
And vice versa, when I'm reading a resource on my desk top, doesn't Logos allow those mark-up to be synced to my iPad?

Yes - this should also happen

Milkman:
For example: if my last page read was 29 on my iPad and then I open up the same resource but on my desk top, shouldn't my desk top resource automatically go to page 29 with the prompt of "last page read

It should go there automatically - it doesn't particularly give a prompt on the desktop (though this capability is present on the iPad)

So - in short - the things you are suggesting should work so we need to try and find out why they are not.

• are there any indications of sync errors on your desktop?
  • do you have visual filters disabled in either apps so that the notes / highlights are not appearing?
  • when you make changes on either the app or the desktop do these appear in the relevant notes documents on documents.logos.com?
  • if you create a new notes document on the ipad / desktop and create a note in it does this appear on the other device?
Posts 3466
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 3:20 AM

1. No errors on my desktop

2. Visual filters are not disabled. I'm assuming visual aids are specific to each resource? So I can turn off visual aids in one resource, but have it on in another resource. Or is there a "master off switch" that will disable filters. In the resource I'm referring it seems the filter is on.

3. I've never been to documents.logos.com...

4. Not always.

Graham Criddle:

Milkman:
When I'm reading a resource on my iPad and make notes or do any kind high lighting I thought these would automatically be carried over or synced with other devices?

This should happen automatically - assuming you haven't disable Internet use on your desktop

Milkman:

Yes - this should also happen

Milkman:
For example: if my last page read was 29 on my iPad and then I open up the same resource but on my desk top, shouldn't my desk top resource automatically go to page 29 with the prompt of "last page read

It should go there automatically - it doesn't particularly give a prompt on the desktop (though this capability is present on the iPad)

So - in short - the things you are suggesting should work so we need to try and find out why they are not.

• are there any indications of sync errors on your desktop?
  • do you have visual filters disabled in either apps so that the notes / highlights are not appearing?
  • when you make changes on either the app or the desktop do these appear in the relevant notes documents on documents.logos.com?
  • if you create a new notes document on the ipad / desktop and create a note in it does this appear on the other device?

mm.

Posts 23012
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 3:32 AM

Milkman:
2. Visual filters are not disabled. I'm assuming visual aids are specific to each resource? So I can turn off visual aids in one resource, but have it on in another resource. Or is there a "master off switch" that will disable filters. In the resource I'm referring it seems the filter is on.

Yes, visual filters are resource specific. The key thing to determine is which notes document is holding the notes and highlights and to ensure that this is enabled on both desktop and iPad. And also to check that the notes and highlights are being put into the same documents on each device.

Milkman:

And normally there is no need to do so but I'm suggesting it as a diagnostic aid.

Whenever you create / update a notes document on your desktop or your iPad and it syncs to Logos servers this is shown at documents.logos.com. So I am hoping it will tell us whether there is a problem between the desktop and Logos servers or between the iPad and Logos servers or neither.

Milkman:
4. Not always.

Can you identify exactly what is happening - particularly which notes documents are being used to store highlights and notes on both platforms?

And can you confirm you are using the same logon credentials on both devices?

Posts 3466
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 3:40 AM

Ok, let me get back to you on these. Just got off work and hitting the hay for a couple of hours. Milkman is kinda tired right now. :)

mm.

Posts 3466
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 8:13 AM

Ok, now I'm perplexed. All my high lights and notes are now showing up on my desk top. See what a good sleep does.

Any ideas why the delay?

Graham Criddle:

Milkman:

Yes, visual filters are resource specific. The key thing to determine is which notes document is holding the notes and highlights and to ensure that this is enabled on both desktop and iPad. And also to check that the notes and highlights are being put into the same documents on each device.

Milkman:

And normally there is no need to do so but I'm suggesting it as a diagnostic aid.

Whenever you create / update a notes document on your desktop or your iPad and it syncs to Logos servers this is shown at documents.logos.com. So I am hoping it will tell us whether there is a problem between the desktop and Logos servers or between the iPad and Logos servers or neither.

Milkman:
4. Not always.

Can you identify exactly what is happening - particularly which notes documents are being used to store highlights and notes on both platforms?

And can you confirm you are using the same logon credentials on both devices?

mm.

Posts 23012
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 8:17 AM

Milkman:
Ok, now I'm perplexed. All my high lights and notes are now showing up on my desk top

That's good

Milkman:
Any ideas why the delay?

I'm afraid not - one or other of the devices not being connected to the Internet would explain it but, from what you said, that wasn't the case.

Posts 3466
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 8:32 AM

Fair enough. At least everything is fine now.

Thanks for your help.

mm.

Graham Criddle:

Milkman:
Ok, now I'm perplexed. All my high lights and notes are now showing up on my desk top

That's good

Milkman:
Any ideas why the delay?

I'm afraid not - one or other of the devices not being connected to the Internet would explain it but, from what you said, that wasn't the case.

mm.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS