Another Sidebar problem with 6.2 beta 1

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 5 2015 6:30 AM

Computer A is on 6.2 beta 1 Verbum/Windows

Computer B is on 6.1 SR-1 Verbum/Mac

On 6.2 beta 1, "Start Prayer List" and "Start Reading Plan" are now separate sections.  I already have prayer list (1) and reading plans active (2), so I turned off  "Start Prayer List" and "Start Reading Plan".

So then, when I go to the Mac 6.1 SR-1, my prayer list and 2 reading plans are turned off in the sidebar. So I turn them on.

I go back to Windows 6.2 beta 1, and now I see the two  "Start Prayer List" and "Start Reading Plan" in addition to my Reading Plan and Prayer list.

It appears the sections mean different things on 6.2 vs. 6.1 and confusion results!

Does this make sense how I explained it?

Also - I am not sure I mentioned this before, but when I first brought up Beta 1, it turned on all my inactive reading plans (I keep them when I finish in case i want to use them again). I had to turn them all off manually in the settings.

Posts 5229
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 9:22 AM

Don Awalt:
Does this make sense how I explained it?

Your words make sense - the response of the program does not! Smile

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 11:44 AM

I also noticed when changing the selections on 6.1 SR-1 in the sync it turns on all the old Reading plans on 6.2 Beta 1, as well as changes the order the sections display in back to default. Sounds like 6.2 is just not compatible with 6.1.

Posts 31
LogosEmployee
Jonathan Haas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 2:31 PM

Don Awalt:

Sounds like 6.2 is just not compatible with 6.1.

Hey Don,

I am no database expert by any means, but I think what is happening is the preferences database doesn't know how to handle the constant switching between reading plan preferences.

Again, I'm not 100% sure on the specifics on the database mechanics, but I can give you my best guess based on the variables involved:

When I created the new reading plans tiles, in order for them each to have their own set of preferences, I added the Reading Plan ID on to the end of the generic string "readingPlan" (which was the old preference identifier). Therefore, each reading plan now had an entry in the database with the title like "readingPlan1234."
Why does this matter, you may (rightfully) ask? When I created the generic "Start Reading Plan" tile, I didn't pass in a specific ID (there are many reasons for this, the main being less data flying around to decrease performance). Because of this, when you switch to 6.2 from 6.1, the preferences database sees an entry with the name "readingPlan," and uses the settings that it knows about for that. This is why you are seeing your preferences for the old tile being applied to the generic "Start Reading Plan" tile. The same goes for Prayer Lists.

Hope this helps!

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 2:42 PM

Thanks Jonathan for the explanation! I can't say I understand it :-), but let me ask you this - is it worth breaking the compatibility between the two versions, just to have the Create Reading Plan and Create Prayer List in a separate panel instead of a link in the existing panel? Seemed to work pretty well they way it was! Just wondering! I was always taught breaking compatibility is a bad thing to be avoided at all costs, as some group of users will be legitimately impacted...

Posts 31
LogosEmployee
Jonathan Haas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 3:41 PM

I think "breaking compatibility" is a bit harsh. We've added in customization options while not losing any functionality. The new sidebar allows you to re-order and prioritize different plans, as well as keeping some around after they're done as a reminder to start a new one or  clean out your unused documents.

I do agree that switching between beta and stable releases can cause a few preferences hiccups that are not desirable, but once this goes live to all users it will be a one-time preferences switch that allows you to customize/clean up your sidebar for optimal use.

Posts 5229
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 12:06 AM

Don Awalt:
I was always taught breaking compatibility is a bad thing to be avoided at all costs, as some group of users will be legitimately impacted...

Being an Apple user breaking compatibility has never been a problem for me - their policy seems to be that the latest version is their best effort and users should be using the best their is.

Worrying about 'compatibility' held Windows back for years in performance terms.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 31840
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 12:55 AM

Don Awalt:

Thanks Jonathan for the explanation! I can't say I understand it :-), but let me ask you this - is it worth breaking the compatibility between the two versions, just to have the Create Reading Plan and Create Prayer List in a separate panel instead of a link in the existing panel? Seemed to work pretty well they way it was! Just wondering! I was always taught breaking compatibility is a bad thing to be avoided at all costs, as some group of users will be legitimately impacted...

Yes, definitely because it allowed for my sequencing reading and prayer plans as I wish and allowed me to select on certain of the "active" plans to display on my home page. An excellent trade-off from my perspective.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 6:13 AM

I understand the thoughts, but this takes the impact of beta testing to a different level. I, and I am sure others are prepared and used to the side effects of using beta software, knowing too that we may have stretches when we cannot use it. This is the first time I can remember where the use of beta software corrupts production installations on other machines. My prayers and reading lists won't show up on 6.1 as a result of the beta 6.2 on 1 machine. That goes beyond the guidelines I think, really has nothing to do with how good a new feature it is, and at least for me is a note of caution for the future.

Posts 5229
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 12:32 PM

Don Awalt:
This is the first time I can remember where the use of beta software corrupts production installations on other machines.

I seem to remember that we had a spell were our Notes files - once updated for the Beta became unusable on the stable.

But we were warned in advance about that.

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2015 1:05 PM

It's not the end of the world, I'll live, I just think breaking production systems through a beta should not be taken lightly, and I felt this one was.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS