Tyndale Newe Testament Question

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1897
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 7 2015 8:25 AM

Throughout Tyndale's Newe Testament is this mark, / (Forward Slash).  What does this mean?

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 8:58 AM

Kenneth Neighoff:
What does this mean?

Good question. Perhaps the original text was in narrow columns and these mark where the ends of the lines were??? Other online versions don't seem to have them.

Note the capital letters that divide the chapters, as well. They are missing from other online versions.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1897
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 9:08 AM

I love the art work at the beginning of each book.

I also noticed the pericope markers: A, B, C and so forth.

I have seen the forward slash is more online images and not in others.  I wonder if that has to do with when published?

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 12:51 PM

You may have noticed the lack of the comma in use as punctuation.

If you take the / to be , then how does it work for you ?

Posts 9127
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 1:10 PM

David J. Wilson:

Seems like a good suggestion!

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 1:21 PM

In looking for what you're talking about, I noticed this lovely typo in the preface heading:

I know there are weird spellings in Tyndale's "Newe" Testament, but "fieader" does not seem a possible archaic variant of "reader" which is obviously what's expected there, and sure enough, I looked it up:

Will be reporting this using the Report Typo tool, but wanted to have a fuller documentation of the correct spelling to cite, so posted this here for something to link to. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Posts 1897
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 1:24 PM

David J. Wilson:

You may have noticed the lack of the comma in use as punctuation.

Sounds good and reasonable to me. 

I guess I should of paid more attention in HS when we had to read and study the prologue of Chaucer to help me with Tyndale.

Posts 1897
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 1:24 PM

Rosie Perera:

In looking for what you're talking about, I noticed this lovely typo in the preface heading:

I know there are weird spellings in Tyndale's "Newe" Testament, but "fieader" does not seem a possible archaic variant of "reader" which is obviously what's expected there, and sure enough, I looked it up:

Will be reporting this using the Report Typo tool, but wanted to have a fuller documentation of the correct spelling to cite, so posted this here for something to link to. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Thanks ok, it all about Tyndale baby.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 1:30 PM

Not a problem Rosie, it looked like a typo but did not have an original with which to compare it.

The font used in the original is likely going to cause quite a number of typos.

Your illustration also shows that the original capitalized "God".....

"HEre thou hast (moost deare reader) the newe Testament or covenaūt made with us of god in Christes bloude"

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 7 2015 1:37 PM

Oh deare! Readynge a bit furthere, I finde that it is fulle of errores in transcryptione from the originall:

Doesn't give me much confidence in the quality of the rest of the resource. Sad

They should "haue weded out of it manye fautes" but they didn't; they introduced some. I stopped after reporting seven typos in two lines. Someone with expertise in reading Early English spelling and typefaces should have done this resource conversion and/or proofread it.

Posts 1062
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 9 2015 7:29 AM

Rosie Perera:

Someone with expertise in reading Early English spelling and typefaces should have done this resource conversion and/or proofread it.

Agreed. I sympathize with the difficulty of converting these old fonts, but this error rate is embarrassing.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 9 2015 1:21 PM

Difficult to verify in some cases unless you have a rare copy of the same edition as it is unlikely that earlier editions used the same spellings and most unlikely that the original was error free. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS