Logos' server speed is capped??

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1962
mike | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 11 2015 7:47 PM

I'm wondering..

I've just upgraded to TimeWarner 300Mbps speed internet. And today I downloaded 1gb update from Logos and it was SO SLOW (it was wired connection, not wireless). Theoretically to download 10gb file would only take me less than 5mins. But this was only 1gb and it took soooo long.

Also I have Samsung 850 Evo Pro SSD. So I think my drive can handle the speed.

My question to Logos is.. are you guys limiting the download speed or something?

Posts 1101
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 8:24 PM

Mike

You are blessed to be in the USA here on the M field i only have 3Mbps you are so much faster. 

Also it may be better to call into support and ask the tech people about the connection limit.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 4134
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 8:27 PM

Mike - there are a number of possibly limiting factors, as you know a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

My 25Mbps is faster than most places can handle.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 6710
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 8:56 PM

Resources are downloaded from Amazon servers who host the files.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 2706
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 9:09 PM

You should test your actual download speed. There's a bunch of web sites that do that. If that shows your fast as claimed,than a call to Logos is in order.

My guess is there's some top speed capability but it would be traffic based.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1962
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 10:18 PM

mab:

You should test your actual download speed. There's a bunch of web sites that do that. If that shows your fast as claimed,than a call to Logos is in order.

Yupe. Did my test through those several speedtest sites and was getting 320Mbps.

Posts 19193
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 10:23 PM

Yeah, I would guess Amazon was throttling it rather than Logos. Not sure if Logos (Faithlife) has any control over it. They might pay for a certain average bandwidth to all their customers and if a lot of customers overall are downloading a lot of data one particular day, it might affect the speed for other customers. I don't really know how this all works; this is just my random speculation.

Posts 1627
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2015 11:57 PM

Last year when I downloaded Logos6 it was about 20 Mbit/s over LTE in Finland

Few servers allow that much even if if local

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1962
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 3:38 AM

abondservant:

Mike - there are a number of possibly limiting factors, as you know a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Do you get that 25Mbps speed when you download updates from Logos?

Posts 370
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 9:01 AM

I would guess that this is the future of the internet. Can you say, "net neutrality"?

Posts 19193
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 7:54 PM

Lonnie Spencer:

I would guess that this is the future of the internet. Can you say, "net neutrality"?

I thought the FCC just ruled for net neutrality, disallowing companies from throttling speed for smaller clients. Equal opportunity for all to compete, bringing prices down. I suppose it means that the mammoths like Amazon won't be able to offer faster speeds for a price to the likes of Logos. But if the technology for faster speeds is there, then everyone should be able to have access to it, not just those who have their online access through monopolistic cable companies.

Posts 4134
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 8:07 PM

mike:

abondservant:

Do you get that 25Mbps speed when you download updates from Logos?

Not sure, but I suspect I don't most of the time. Other than when I download something through my web browser I do not have a definitive number. The rest would be guesses based upon the subjective.

Other than at speed test sites I'm pleasantly surprised when I get 25. My uncle next door has 50Mbps, but he's in the same boat. Whenever I use his internet (Rarely - when mine is being worked on, or something along those lines) I don't see a big increase in performance over all. Unless a service was specifically designed for it, and its during work hours for the neighborhood.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 8:32 PM

Rosie Perera:

Lonnie Spencer:

I thought the FCC just ruled for net neutrality, disallowing companies from throttling speed for smaller clients. Equal opportunity for all to compete, bringing prices down. I suppose it means that the mammoths like Amazon won't be able to offer faster speeds for a price to the likes of Logos. But if the technology for faster speeds is there, then everyone should be able to have access to it, not just those who have their online access through monopolistic cable companies.

Never believe what the regime tells you about anything.  They constantly lie.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3764
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 12 2015 9:48 PM

Rosie Perera:
I thought the FCC just ruled for net neutrality, disallowing companies from throttling speed for smaller clients.

But, it was my understanding that they could throttle speeds for all clients in order to not stress system resources.  I expect, but do not know, that this could be on a per client basis or a per connection basis - as long as one client does not have a different set of rules than another client.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 3:28 AM

It all depends on which AWS service Logos is using.  S3 is cheaper but slower.  Cloudfront is faster but costs more $$$:

See: http://www.whoishostingthis.com/blog/2010/06/28/amazon-s3-cloudfront/

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 1627
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 3:47 AM

From the server's point of view there is no need to limit the download speed. Actually the faster, the better. The server capacity itself can be a limit.

From the teleoperator's point of view there is no need to limit the download  speed from the technical point of view. But the service contracts may limit it. And there can be many teleoperators in the download path.

The user end has no need to limit the download speed, but I just wonder whether the user's computer and the particular download software can be a limit, too. The available speedtests may not store any data?

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 2768
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 5:21 AM

Veli Voipio:

The server capacity itself can be a limit.

It will be interesting over the next few years to watch as many that are now moving to internet streaming move back to cable because the internet just will not be able to service everyone watching say the Superbowl live streaming while cable has no problem doing that.   

What would be an interesting test of the internet is if every one started an internet speed test exactly at midnight GMT.  Have tried that in several homes where several of the family members are streaming videos.  25M service drops to DSL speeds with 5 speed tests started withing seconds of each other.  What are the internet providers maximum available bandwidth? 

Posts 1627
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 7:00 AM

Streaming data can be sent to several clients simultaneously in certain conditions, so that measurement may not tell much. Generally, if you have a 25 Mbit/s line and 5 equal users, you may get 25(2*5)=2.5 Mbit/s each.

The TCP (Transmission control protocol) normally used in data downloads regulates the speed based on the feedback (or lack of feedback) from the end users. Also data may disappear during transmission, and that has to be resent which slows down the connection sometimes significantly.

TCP works well in the normal situations. But as an example, I was in a hotel in the Middle East and after a busload of Chinese engineers came there. They all started to use the internet simultaneously, and the Internet practically stopped. Sometimes those situations are modeled as chaotic systems, probably correctly Smile

Posts 1962
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 4:55 AM

I downloaded "Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew with Logos Bible Software" the other day.. and I was hitting 90Mbps to 100Mbps only. 

I've also tried downloading it from a facility that has 1000Mbps, and Logos was only allowing 100-110Mbps.

Well I guess Logos' speed is capped higher than I thought. (on certain resources)

-in response to Veli: I'm not sharing my line with anyone else. 

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 1:38 PM

mike:
-in response to Veli: I'm not sharing my line with anyone else.

Actually, you are, by nature of the way that cable works.  It is a shared bandwidth technology.  You don't have a dedicated/guaranteed 300mbps circuit.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS