Multi-version search

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 13 2015 8:17 AM

All,

I'm trying to do a simple multi-version search, and need help. I want to find all instances of the word "lord" in the New Testament where the word being translated "lord" is NOT κύριος. How would I do that search?

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 26497
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 1:12 PM

Search for

Lord  NOTEQUALS lemma:κύριος 

in the NT, selecting "Match Case" in the Search menu so you capture the nouns in Reverse Interlinear bibles, else you will get verbs like "lord it over". It will show instances where the translation inserted "Lord" for clarity - the NLT in particular.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 2:01 PM

Dave,

I can't get that to work. I am sure I am doing something wrong. Here is a screenshot:

Fred Greco

Posts 11621
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 3:15 PM

Fred Greco:

I can't get that to work. I am sure I am doing something wrong. Here is a screenshot:

if you look into a RI, you'll find that NOTEQUALS doesn't work here because the translation of the lemma kyrios might be e.g. "of the Lord" or so.

ANDEQUALS will work with these, so I took it backwards: find Lord but exclude those where Lord does match the lemma kyrios

Lord -(<Lemma = lbs/el/κύριος> ANDEQUALS Lord) 

(I took Dave's advice with match case to exclude the four "lord it over" hits (note that in Lk 24:3 the NIV RI follows the SBLGNT text, whereas the English seems to follow NA 27 which does have lemma kyrios!)

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 26497
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 5:28 PM

NB.Mick:
Lord -(<Lemma = lbs/el/κύριος> ANDEQUALS Lord) 

Typical of ANDNOT your query omits translations like "Lord is Lord" Ro 10:12 (ESV) where the second Lord is inserted.

Lord  NOTEQUALS lemma:κύριος  should be run as Morph search (not Bible search)  but

Lord  NOTEQUALS <Lemma = lbs/el/κύριος> can be used in a Bible Search of the NT.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26497
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2015 10:48 PM

NB.Mick:
if you look into a RI, you'll find that NOTEQUALS doesn't work here because the translation of the lemma kyrios might be e.g. "of the Lord" or so.

Not quite. It doesn't miss any results, but it produces spurious results for "the Lord" or "O Lord" in NKJV where "the" or "O" is assigned as the translation of kyrios! And this is a data problem that I've reported.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 14 2015 1:12 AM

Okay but ... the morph search seems to ignore the match case ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 31836
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 14 2015 1:22 AM

When I run NB's version I am missing results ... I'm using ESV as did the OP and Logos Greek Morphology ...

I swear I rue the day I decided to really understand the Search ... how many years did it take you Dave?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 11621
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 14 2015 11:54 AM

MJ. Smith:
When I run NB's version I am missing results ...

Dave is right, my construction is bad because it misses all hits where Lord occurs at least twice in a verse and one of the occurrences translates kyrios

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 14 2015 11:57 AM

OK. Let me ask a related question: is there a way once this search has been run, to save it? That is so that months from now, when I have forgotten how to do this, and want to do a similar search, I could bring this search up as an example and just edit it?

Fred Greco

Posts 11621
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 14 2015 12:02 PM

Dave Hooton:

Lord  NOTEQUALS lemma:κύριος  should be run as Morph search (not Bible search)  but

Lord  NOTEQUALS <Lemma = lbs/el/κύριος> can be used in a Bible Search of the NT.

Thanks Dave, I think that's the solution.  

Posts 11621
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 14 2015 12:04 PM

Fred Greco:

OK. Let me ask a related question: is there a way once this search has been run, to save it? That is so that months from now, when I have forgotten how to do this, and want to do a similar search, I could bring this search up as an example and just edit it?

You may save searches either as Visual Filter documents or as Favorites

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 14 2015 12:20 PM

How do I save it as a favorite? (It's not obvious, to me at least)

Fred Greco

Posts 11621
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 14 2015 1:13 PM

Fred Greco:

How do I save it as a favorite? (It's not obvious, to me at least)

There may be other ways, but I simply open the Favorite tab (from the Tools menu - it's the small lefthandside tab that otherwise takes reading lists or the history) and then drag the search tab to the position in the Favorites folder structure I want it to be.

Posts 26497
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 14 2015 3:06 PM

MJ. Smith:
I swear I rue the day I decided to really understand the Search ... how many years did it take you Dave?

It took a while to realise why Value ANDNOT (specific instance of Value)  will drop results! And I struggled with some of the new Logos 6 Search...

But Logos 4/5 Text Search is straightforward compared with what you could do in Libronix/Logos 3.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS