I Think Tech Support is Wrong...Can You Help?

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 16 2015 10:44 AM

Here's my question. I have a Macbook Pro with a small hard drive. I want to move my Logos from the main hard drive onto a "Transcend" memory card which is permanently plugged into a slot in the side of the computer. 

I called tech support. Karman assured me it could not be done. I asked him if he knew much about MacBooks: "No, not much." I asked him if he could let me speak to someone else who knew something about MacBooks. He told me to hold while he asked another tech the question. In a few minutes he came back and again told me what I was asking was impossible. 

I replied I was 90% it could be done but then I said, "I guess if I know so much about it maybe I should work at Logos." He agreed that might be a good step for me to take!

I'm just looking for an answer to my question.

What do you say?!

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 16 2015 10:47 AM

I believe it can be done, but whether or not it should be done is another story :P

make sure you use premium memory cards - Logos taxes the speed of whatever storage medium its on. maybe something usb3, or else top end SD cards (or whatever your mac book supports I suppose).

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 22359
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 16 2015 10:51 AM

I know nothing about Macbooks but the link at https://wiki.logos.com/Install_in_different_folder_or_drive might be useful.

This shows how you can move the software to a different location but I have no idea whether the performance of a memory card is going to be adequate.

What spec are you looking at?

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 16 2015 10:52 AM

I'm using something called "Transcend" and has a 128 gig. It markets itself as a permanent hard drive. It's been really great so far.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 16 2015 11:22 AM

transcend is a brand name.

The important part is the "class" of the card. IF it was cheap compared to the rest its most likely because its a slower class of memory.

I think for Logos, the last time this came up, people were recomending class 10 (or faster if available... I'm unplugged from technology for the most part these days - though I have a strong background in it).

Alabama or one of the other mac guys should be on at some point. He'll see it and know how to help.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 16 2015 12:32 PM

I just checked and confirmed my memory card is a class 10.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 16 2015 10:40 PM

Randall Hartman:
Here's my question. I have a Macbook Pro with a small hard drive. I want to move my Logos from the main hard drive onto a "Transcend" memory card which is permanently plugged into a slot in the side of the computer. 

Replacing small hard drive with larger Sata III Solid State Disk (SSD) would noticeably improve OS X and Logos responsiveness.

I Fix It has repair guides for MacBook Pro models => https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro

Mac Sales has SSD Easy Upgrade Guide => http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC

Thread => Logos 6 and Windows tablet experience and need for improvements includes recommendation against SD cards and external drives:

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):

Don Potts:
If the Logos developers, knowing how the indexer manages resources, think using a 128GB SD card instead would ensure success

We do not recommend installing the program (or indexing) on external drives or SD cards.

Caveat: have successfully used external drives to run Logos with OS X on a 27" iMac.  Personally have not tried SD cards, which are notably slower than SSD.  SD model 10 describes a range of read and write speeds.  One Transcend model (TS128GSDXC10E) has 22 MB/sec Read while another model (TS128GSDU3) has 95 MB/sec Read and 60 MB/sec Write.  Newer Sata III SSD has over 550 MB/sec Read and over 500 MB/sec Write: e.g. Crucial MX 100 with 512 GB for $ 199.99 => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148821

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2747
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 10:46 AM

I'm currently running Logos 6 with a 24GB of data in my install folder on an SD card from Sandisk on my Surface Pro 3. I followed the procedure laid out in option 2 from the above link on how ot install on another location and it's working well. The only thing I'm worried about is when my library needs a new Indexing after a large resource update. Hasn't happened yet.

The procedure is basically install Logos using custom install in the new location and then put instead of downloading delete three folders specified in the post. Then add those folders back from a now working installation on another computer or from a backup.

Posts 28121
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 10:53 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
The procedure is basically install Logos using custom install in the new location

Custom installs are not supported on Mac, which is why this is tricky. The answer that probably should have been given by tech support is "There are no supported methods for installing Logos on an SD card on the Mac platform."

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1083
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 11:53 AM

Randall

Another way could be to any data files like pictures, podcast, and office type programs to run on the memory card and that should give you more space to run Logos on your SSD drive for better performance.

I keep my extra must have files on the SDXC for my system and run Logos on the C; drive for that reason. I like to keep 1/3 of my SSD free.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 1:39 PM

Randall,

I am just guessing this would work, but probably should, though I have never tried it. I am thinking that you want to create a "symbolic link" of your Logos 4 folder. Then move your Logos 4 folder to the other drive. Then make sure the symbolic link is named "Logos 4". That should work as symbolic links work differently that aliases.

Or something along those lines. There is plenty of info on the net about it and tools to help you do it.

Posts 28121
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 2:02 PM

Michael McLane:
I am thinking that you want to create a "symbolic link" of your Logos 4 folder.

I believe that some users have made this work... but remember, it is unsupported. Personally, I would not do this unless you didn't have to have that device... In other words, not on a "mission critical" device. 

Posts 2747
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 6:41 PM

alabama24:

Kevin A. Purcell:
The procedure is basically install Logos using custom install in the new location

Custom installs are not supported on Mac, which is why this is tricky. The answer that probably should have been given by tech support is "There are no supported methods for installing Logos on an SD card on the Mac platform."

You're right. Sorry for the confusion.

Posts 28121
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 6:48 PM

No problem friend. Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 8:07 PM

alabama24:

Michael McLane:
I am thinking that you want to create a "symbolic link" of your Logos 4 folder.

I believe that some users have made this work... but remember, it is unsupported.

Wiki has => https://wiki.logos.com/Install_in_different_folder_or_drive#OS_X that includes link to thread => Install on SSD whose discussion includes symbolic (soft) and hard links on OS X plus Caution note about symbolic link being broken by accidentally renaming volume.  Ejecting volume would also break symbolic link.

alabama24:
The answer that probably should have been given by tech support is "There are no supported methods for installing Logos on an SD card on the Mac platform."

+1 Yes while knowing unsupported symbolic link is a viable technical option; hdiutil attach is another.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 9:01 PM

Thanks for your input everyone. Wow. Sounds terribly complicated.  Indifferent

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS