March Madness

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 688
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 17 2015 7:30 AM

Wright and Carson win every year. It would be nice to have some other authors win this year. Like Moo and Bock. They have Mobile ed courses we might be able to get our hands on for a huge discounted price as well!

Posts 9670
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 8:01 AM

Robert Peters:
Wright and Carson win every year. It would be nice to have some other authors win this year. Like Moo and Bock.

Yes it would be nice to have Moo and Bock win this year but I'm guessing this will not be the case.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 8:38 AM

Robert Peters:
They have Mobile ed courses we might be able to get our hands on for a huge discounted price as well!

Do we know which resources will be discounted? I think not, but perhaps I am mistaken. Not knowing what resources will be discounted makes voting for an author a bit of a shot in the dark, especially if you already own some of their resources or are only interested in very specific titles. Do we know whether Bock's or Moo's courses would be discounted if they win and so, whether this should be a factor in our voting choices?

Posts 12149
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 9:21 AM

Francis:

Robert Peters:
They have Mobile ed courses we might be able to get our hands on for a huge discounted price as well!

Do we know which resources will be discounted? I think not, but perhaps I am mistaken. Not knowing what resources will be discounted makes voting for an author a bit of a shot in the dark, especially if you already own some of their resources or are only interested in very specific titles. Do we know whether Bock's or Moo's courses would be discounted if they win and so, whether this should be a factor in our voting choices?

No, we don't know it before. Some publishers aren't part of it (guess which one). Sometimes it seems to be rather arbitrary (Fee's NICNT Corinthians 2nd edition is not part of the sale, other recent editions of NICNT are).

Overall, I'm not sure Logos is willing to put MobileEd courses into the sale - quite the reverse, probably: John H. Walton's OT course is not listed, even though this makes the offering for this author look a bit meager.  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 8:32 PM

Robert Peters:

Wright and Carson win every year. It would be nice to have some other authors win this year. Like Moo and Bock. They have Mobile ed courses we might be able to get our hands on for a huge discounted price as well!

I'll assume Faithlife will keep the author vs. author format next year (much to my disappointment). However, if they do, they should remove the first and second place authors from competing the following year.

Posts 5430
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 8:55 PM

I don't get the Carson fixation. It's ridiculous. Who are these groupies? Can someone who voted for him explain what the starry-eyed fascination is?

1) Why are you voting for him?

2) Why didn't you buy what you wanted from him last year, or the year before that, or the year before that, or the year before that???

It's not like there are tens of thousands of new people participating in the voting each year. It's usually less than 4000 bids per round and its been that way for the past few years. I'm sure many of those are forum users. Please explain yourself, because I would like to know why these people are able year after year to buck the increasingly vocal outcry against Carson. I want to get a decent sale on another author besides Wright and Carson.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 10:44 PM

But obviously some want a decent price on Carson or Wright. Perhaps they were not able to afford all they might have wanted in past sales. Perhaps they desire a couple of the more recent volumes. I really like Carson's writings, but have now purchased most of them. However, just because I don't need to vote for Carson, perhaps others do. It might be a bit invalid to just assume people vote for Carson for no good reason. They sure don't need to justify their vote to me, even if I wished they voted some other way.

To accuse them of being 'groupies' seems a little over the top.

Posts 406
Danny Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 10:47 PM

By the way, a few vocal people do not necessarily represent a majority. At least it doesn't appear to be a majority based on the votes. 

Posts 178
Ann Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 1:34 AM

David Paul:

I don't get the Carson fixation. It's ridiculous. Who are these groupies? Can someone who voted for him explain what the starry-eyed fascination is?

E_X_A_C_T_L_Y!! Indifferent

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 1:58 AM

David Paul:

LOL! I just happy that Bonhoeffer made it as far as he did... But if it helps, I am the anti-Carson and have been voting for each of his opponents just because...

Posts 190
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 2:00 AM

If Logos really wanted to vary the authors, they could just place Carson v Wright in the first round next year with the next knockout against the semi-finalists of this year to stop them always winning.

Posts 33772
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 2:17 AM

IIRC the candidates are selected among the top-sellers during the year with some adjustments for what can be offered on discount etc. The obvious way to insure that next year is not another Carson waltz to the championship is simply to insure no one buys Carson during the year. Who wants to take responsibility for the daily "Boycott Carson" postings?

Geeked

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 5:19 AM

Paul Chatfield:

If Logos really wanted to vary the authors, they could just place Carson v Wright in the first round next year with the next knockout against the semi-finalists of this year to stop them always winning.

Paul, yeah, and to prevent both of them getting there, Round 1 could be Carson v Wright, alongside CS Lewis v John Spong.  Assuming that Carson and Lewis both win round 1, they will have to face off in round 2, and then I think CS Lewis would take the prize... :)

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 5:20 AM

How about J. I. Packer? He could win this round!!

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 9670
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 7:37 AM

John Kight:

It is close but Wright is still ahead.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 178
Ann Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 2:51 PM

Bruce Dunning:

John Kight:

It is close but Wright is still ahead.

Who are the Wright anti-factions?

Anarchists abound abundantly!!

This IS nail-biting stuff!! Huh? Pity the contest rules mention 5.00pm (PDT). We here in Australia are a good part of a day ahead and I could have contested the finishing time of this round, that WOULD end the agony!!

Now 1896 to N.T. vs. 1754 to J.I. as I 'wright' this comment.

Posts 1574
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 4:10 PM

I'm mostly voting for Wright because I really want to see his Paul and the Faithfulness of God at 75% off. I own lots of his other stuff already.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 5:21 PM

Ben:
Paul and the Faithfulness of God at 75% off.

It is certainly worth a shot in the dark!

Posts 103
Jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 7:14 PM

Ben:

I'm mostly voting for Wright because I really want to see his Paul and the Faithfulness of God at 75% off. I own lots of his other stuff already.

Same here. Even if Packer doesn't advance, discounts on his works should still be decent because his aren't nearly as expensive as Wright's.

the ancient art of shalom: thots on sustainable spirituality in san francisco - http://me.jasonkuo.com/thots

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 12:20 PM

Looks like Packer is in the lead by about 100 votes. Snail

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS