THE FIVE POINTS OF CALVINISM (Edwin H. Palmer)... Just for $0.99

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 35 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 24526
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 4:22 PM

Jerome Smith:

Kindly pardon my ignorance, but will a Vyrso resource run on my Logos 6 software on my desktop computer (which is all I use)?

Yes it will

Posts 29245
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 4:27 PM

Jerome Smith:

Kindly pardon my ignorance, but will a Vyrso resource run on my Logos 6 software on my desktop computer (which is all I use)?

vyrso is the "the trade book" store Faithlife runs. Generally speaking, Vyrso editions are the kinds of books you would find at your local "Christian" bookstore, whereas logos books are "academic". There is some overlap in kinds of books. You should also know that Vyrso books are "bare bones" whereas logos editions are "value added."

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 137
Daniel Ne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 4:52 PM

Yes Jerome!!! 

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 5:19 PM

Jerome Smith:

Yes

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 2203
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 4:42 AM

James Hiddle:

Daniel Radke:

This is a great deal, but I thought theology titles like this one are normally in the Logos (not Vyrso) format?

Yeah I expect something based on Calvinism to be on Logos not Vyrso. Vyrso doesn't seem like a place where you would find Theology based books vs Logos.

The most surprising one I have found so far in Vyrso format that I would have expected to be in Logos is Brueggemann's A Theological Introduction to the Old Testament.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 11640
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 6:31 AM

James Hiddle:

Daniel Radke:

This is a great deal, but I thought theology titles like this one are normally in the Logos (not Vyrso) format?

Yeah I expect something based on Calvinism to be on Logos not Vyrso. Vyrso doesn't seem like a place where you would find Theology based books vs Logos.

Which is wrong. If you look at the offering, Vyrso may be compared to a Christian Bookstore (well, the books part of it, mugs und clothing still sell at logos;-) which will have various genres of Fiction, Children's books, Self-Help, Christian Living... but also some theological books.

But that's not all of the story. There are publishers that don't come together with Logos regarding contracts for Logos editions (where Faithlife puts in some editiorial work and therefore expects a share of the revenue). Moody is the most obvious example. Abingdon seems to travel the same route (with exception of the NIB and NIBD), which gives great works which are just not available on Logos.com but will be found on Vyrso.

Other publishers may licence only a subset of their offering to Logos - but if they are producing ebooks anyway, they probably don't mind which platform their books are sold on whereas for us it's helpful to have those in the Logos environment, even though in a non-Logos quality. So we will find some decent books among the >600 sorted into Theology or the >400 in Biblical Studies or >150 in Sections of the Bible

It's long overdue that a search on logos.com (e.g. for author:brueggemann or author:neusner) gives the information "additional results are found at vyrso.com".

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2203
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 6:52 AM

NB.Mick:
Abingdon seems to travel the same route (with exception of the NIB and NIBD), which gives great works which are just not available on Logos.com but will be found on Vyrso.

Ah, that explains the work I referenced, as it is from Abingdon.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 29245
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 6:56 AM

NB.Mick:
It's long overdue that a search on logos.com (e.g. for author:brueggemann or author:neusner) gives the information "additional results are found at vyrso.com".

+1 Yes

Posts 2203
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 7:17 AM

alabama24:

NB.Mick:

+1 Yes

Yes I looked for the Brueggemann Theology for a long time before I realized it was already available on Vyrso.

Posts 3666
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 7:22 AM

For those interested in Edwin Palmer I got this from the BOT website

Edwin H. Palmer

Edwin H. Palmer (1922-80) was born, grew up and went to school in Quincy, Massachusetts. He graduated from Harvard College (A.B.) in 1944, following which he served as first lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps 1944-1946, service which included operations in the Pacific theatre and involvement in the fighting around Okinawa.

In 1949 he received his Th.B. degree from Westminster Theological Seminary and furthered his education at The Free University of Amsterdam, receiving his doctorate (Th.D.) there in 1953. His accomplishments and contributions were so respected by the Christian academic community that, in 1977, Houghton College conferred on him the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity.

Palmer was a pastor, educator, author, and a concerned citizen. He pastored three Christian Reformed Churches in Michigan: Spring Lake (1953-1957), Ann Arbor (1957-1960), and Grandville Avenue, Grand Rapids (1964-1968). He was Instructor in Systematic Theology at Westminster Theological Seminary (1960-1964). He wrote numerous articles and pamphlets and two books, The Five Points of Calvinism (1972) and The Person and Ministry of the Holy Spirit: The Traditional Calvinist Perspective, the latter of which is published in Spanish by the Trust (El Espiritu Santo).

Besides his being a frequent conference and convention speaker, Palmer served as National Chairman of the Board of Citizens for Educational Freedom (1964-1968) and chairman of the New Jersey Right-to-Life Committee (1969-1972). He served as Executive Secretary for the Committee on Bible Translation for the NIV from 1968 until his death. In 1979 he was appointed General Editor of the proposed NIV Study Bible. He was unshakably committed to his part in seeing that the body of Christ had the best translation of Scriptures available, by which the reader could know the Word of God with complete confidence and in his own idiom.

Palmer died from a heart attack in September 1980.

mm.

Posts 29245
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 7:31 AM

Joseph Turner:
I looked for the Brueggemann Theology for a long time before I realized it was already available on Vyrso.

I check Vyrso for things all the time... but it would have never crossed my mind to check for that.

Posts 77
Cliff Stumpf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 9:10 AM

Thanks Daniel,

Cliff

Posts 680
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 11:31 AM

Joseph Turner:
The most surprising one I have found so far in Vyrso format that I would have expected to be in Logos is Brueggemann's A Theological Introduction to the Old Testament.

This is really a fine book. With you, I wonder why it isn't available in Logos.

Posts 153
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 3:23 PM

Thank you everyone who assured me that the Vyrso product will work in my desktop Logos 6 application. I just ordered and received it. I'm hoping it will lead to some good "proof texts" for my index for TULIP.

Posts 1803
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 3:28 PM

Jerome Smith:
will a Vyrso resource run on my Logos 6 software on my desktop computer (which is all I use)?

Short answer: YES

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 5:36 PM

Daniel

Thanks for this.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS