ZECNT—New Upgrade, but What Happened to the Old?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 17 2015 6:07 PM

Well, it looks like there are two more commentaries currently in pre-pub for this series, but what happened to the old upgrade. I had purchased the first 4 volumes a while back and then there was an upgrade that included  Luke, Acts, Colossians and Philemon, and 1-2 Thessalonians, that was release not to far behind. But, wouldn't you know, that upgrade is no longer available as a separate bundle (at least I wasn't able to find it not he site), and the 4 volumes have been combined together with the existing 4 volumes—making an 8 volume set. This is great for someone who doesn't one any of the volumes and wants the entire 8 volume set, but for use who already own the existing 4 volumes we are stuck paying for the resources again, because the upgrade isn't available separate and Zondervan titles don't include dynamic pricing. 

I personally think Logos should either split the entire set for individual purchases (like the old volumes) or include a separate bundle with the most recent 4 volumes (Luke, Acts, Colossians and Philemon, and 1-2 Thessalonians), or both. 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 2109
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 6:22 PM

I am missing Matthew out of the 8 volume set.  No way I'm paying $239 for it.

The set needs to be broken up.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 8:05 PM

This concerns me from the reverse situation.  I was tempted to pick up these new volumes on pre-pub, but I don't yet have the original set.  If I pick these up now, then I'll have to pay for them again down the road when I'm able to pick up the set...so I'm better off just waiting and getting the eventual 11 volume set at a later date.

Posts 5206
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 17 2015 9:03 PM

I am on a boycott of Zondervan. I have only consciously bought a Zondervan product once...when they were stupid enough to start selling the old EBC for $129. I knew that wasn't going to last long, so I jumped on that action. Great deal. Sure, I would like to have some Z stuff, but their prices and refusal to offer dynamic pricing on their bundles keeps the boycott in place. Of course, I don't expect my one-man boycott to effect any kind of change. But I'm not going to change my stance either unless they buckle. They could end up with $1-2K or more, but for now they get bupkis.

I guess it's a staring contest.

Fwiw, I'm sorta on a boycott with Baker, too...mostly over price, though. If you want me to buy hundreds of books at one pop, you gotta do better than what's currently on offer.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 4:36 AM

I too do not purchase Zondervan titles, electronic or print, unless it's absolutely necessary for a teaching project. Their practices leave much to be desired.

Posts 880
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 4:36 AM

David Paul:

Of course, I don't expect my one-man boycott to effect any kind of change.

No, but you're not alone! It is a curious marketing decision coming from them.

Posts 11649
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 4:38 AM

John Kight:

Well, it looks like there are two more commentaries currently in pre-pub for this series

Thanks for pointing us, I wouldn't have known! ZECNT is a fantastic format, and the description of the work on John's Letters looks very interesting.

Maybe someone took out the wrong bundle from the available offerings, since ZECNT James, Ephesians, Matthew, and Galatians are available on their own plus as parts of the "full" 8 vol. bundle, while Eph & Gal of these are additionally available as their own 2 vol. bundle (offering minimal discount to buying separately). It would make much more sense if this bundle had been pulled instead of the 4 vol bundle.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 990
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 11:41 AM

Kenneth Neighoff:

Well I am confused - it looks to me like the set is broken up. You can buy Matthew alone for $47.99 can you not https://www.logos.com/product/17266/zondervan-exegetical-commentary-on-the-new-testament-matthew ?

Posts 2706
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 5:35 PM

I've resisted ZECNT, but that may change. I couldn't justify the revised EBC;the old still serves the task well. 

There's a diminishing return with commentaries. Scripture reading is the opposite, it just gets more valuable the more you do.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 6:02 PM

NB.Mick:
Maybe someone took out the wrong bundle from the available offerings, since ZECNT James, Ephesians, Matthew, and Galatians are available on their own plus as parts of the "full" 8 vol. bundle, while Eph & Gal of these are additionally available as their own 2 vol. bundle (offering minimal discount to buying separately). It would make much more sense if this bundle had been pulled instead of the 4 vol bundle.

Agreed. I want to upgrade the 4 volume set but won't pay $230 to do so.   Maybe they will get it worked out.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2109
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 6:16 PM

David Carter:

Kenneth Neighoff:

Well I am confused - it looks to me like the set is broken up. You can buy Matthew alone for $47.99 can you not https://www.logos.com/product/17266/zondervan-exegetical-commentary-on-the-new-testament-matthew ?

somehow I missed this one as an individual volume.

Posts 5601
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 4:00 AM

Yes

Super.Tramp:

NB.Mick:

Agreed. I want to upgrade the 4 volume set but won't pay $230 to do so.   Maybe they will get it worked out.

Posts 1586
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 5:05 PM

Thanks for listening Faithlife! The newer volumes are now available for individual purchase. But the price isn't much better than the 8 volume bundle...$157 for the 4 volumes, and $73 more for all 8 volumes. Sad

I guess the "little here, little there" approach will work for now...

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 6:25 PM

John Kight:
Thanks for listening Faithlife! The newer volumes are now available for individual purchase.

Yes, thanks Faithlife.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS