battery drain running Logos?

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Tripp Castell | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 18 2015 11:01 AM

Hello.  I have noticed recently there are times when my Surface Pro 3 battery will run all day and other times where I can barely get 3 hours. I started to investigate by searching the internet and found a major culprit is google's Chrome browser because in the past the "Windows Timer Frequency" is raised when running the program. Chrome has since fixed that issue.  However, I ran the clockres tool by sysinternals to see what program is increasing the "Windows Timer Frequency".

To my surprise the culprit was Logos which made sense  because when I was having bad battery life, I had Logos open.

The following is from one of the sites I found while investigating...

"For maximum battery life the current timer interval (which can be changed with timeBeginPeriod) should be 15.6 ms. but as you can see above some program had set it to 1.0 ms. That means the timer interrupt is firing an extra 936 times per second, which should only be done if the benefits justify the costs."

Microsoft says will result in at least a 30% greater battery drain.

Once I close Logos and run the test again it goes immediately back to 15.6 ms.

Any comments to the above? Am I understanding this correctly?

Just as an FYI... I am on Windows 8.1 fully updated; I am running Logos Bible Software 6.1 SR-2
6.1.0.0031. Logos is running idle and is NOT indexing when running the test.

Here are a couple links of where I was finding info on the "Windows Timer Frequency"...

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897568.aspx

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/windows-timer-resolution-megawatts-wasted/

Thank you for any insight and help. I just don't like the battery drain!

Thanks and God bless.

Posts 9938
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 12:04 PM

Tripp ... you're probably more expert than me.

I routinely use PCTasks on a W7.  I've noticed:

- If you're on the internet, L4+ is going to hit the internet along with the battery.  Since I stay off the internet, I'm not sure about the pattern on the internet

- If you're off the internet and Logos is backgrounded, I don't see any activity

- If you're off the internet and Logos is foregrounded, I see a 1%+ CPU usage about every 2-3 seconds or so, if you're not doing anything.  Of course, if you're doing anything (mouse movement, scrolling, etc, there's CPU usage).

I've generally left my Logos in-memory for weeks at a time but off-internet. Typically the virus checker and windows background processes are the battery eaters (esp the virus checker).  I haven't seen much from Logos.

Recently I noticed that even if you tell L6 to stay offline (with a restart), it's still trying to hit the internet (and chewing up my CPU at the wrong moments).  So I've been exiting L6.  That's when I discovered today, that the L6 exit is not totally reliable (can leave an L6 in memory).

Posts 24488
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 5:45 PM

Tripp Castell:
Once I close Logos and run the test again it goes immediately back to 15.6 ms.

I ran powercfg -energy duration 10  from the second link and made sure Logos 6.2 Beta was performing some activity during the 10 seconds. The report stated Logos.exe "is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilisation recorded during the trace" with an average utilization of 5.35%, but the main contributing dll's were all Windows! But each time i ran the report the current timer resolution was stated to be 15.6 ms.

So I used ClockRes:-

• Logos 6.2 running and idle   15.6 ms
  • Logos running a significant search  1.000 ms
  • Logos idle again   15.6 ms

However, I get the same results as you with Logos 6.1 on Windows 7.

Conclusion  It appears that Logos 6.2 has 'fixed' the problem with the timer resolution as it only increased during (significant) activity and quickly returns to the default value.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 18599
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 5:54 PM

Denise:
I routinely use PCTasks on a W7

What is PCTasks? Some super TaskManager-like software that tracks your computer's battery usage, internet activity, etc.? I couldn't find it anywhere on the web. Curious to know if it does some useful things that I can't currently do with software I already have. Might like to get it if so.

Posts 9938
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 6:05 PM

Uh, oh.  Denise was a bad girl.  She looked at the desktop name.

SysInternals 'Process Explorer'.  You've probably seen it. I think I have it because I'm used to it!  But I do like it using the right-click app properties > the threads and the cycles delta.

Recently I noticed on internet access, somebody was really chewing up my CPU (and delaying my jaunt to the forum).  At least I could track down which part of Logos was the culprit.

Posts 7
Tripp Castell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 6:10 PM

Dave Hooton:

So I used ClockRes:-

• Logos 6.2 running and idle   15.6 ms
  • Logos running a significant search  1.000 ms
  • Logos idle again   15.6 ms

However, I get the same results as you with Logos 6.1 on Windows 7.

Conclusion  It appears that Logos 6.2 has 'fixed' the problem with the timer resolution as it only increased during (significant) activity and quickly returns to the default value.

Okay. Great. Any idea when 6.2 will be released as stable?  I might try the beta.   I don't mind at all going to 1.0 ms when it is active. I just don't want it to when it sits idle. When I am preparing my sermon during the week I keep logos open with the resources I am using for the week.

Thanks for running those tests!

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 6:27 PM

Faithlife announced that they were moving to a six week release cycle ... so six weeks after 6.1 - that's 3 weeks or is it 2?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18599
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 6:55 PM

Denise:

SysInternals 'Process Explorer'.  You've probably seen it

Oh yes, I have that already. Thanks. I thought it was some new program I'd never heard of before, but then I was puzzled why I couldn't find it on Google. Now I know why.

I also have Security Task Manager.

Posts 9938
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 7:27 PM

I downloaded the trial Security Task Manager to try it out.  

I wish I had a better handle on exactly 'who' is hitting the internet.  Over time, everybody feels free to do as they think best.

Posts 7910
LogosEmployee

Denise:
Recently I noticed that even if you tell L6 to stay offline (with a restart), it's still trying to hit the internet

I haven't been able to reproduce this yet. Does it access the Internet when you use a specific feature in the application? Do you know what URL it's attempting to access?

Posts 9938
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 9:02 PM

Hope I didn't confuse you.  The issue of CPU usage was at the event of internet access (and de-access).  The issue (for me) was tieing up the CPU while all the other process wanted do their ping-work (after which I could continue).  Absent a sniffer, etc I mainly just glance to see who's busy at that point (CPU).

If desired below are the typical threads involved, an example of the CPU usage (typically ramps up from 3% to 25% and back at 2 sec intervals), and my L6 settings (after a re-start; nothing in L6 loaded).

Active-threads are typically the event trace (both access and de-access), and CopyPDBs. Those 2 are predictable at the instant of access/de-access.

Below is the early ramp-up. Typical participants are the virus protection, Windows processes, and Logos.exe.

And my settings after re-starts:

Posts 7910
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 10:04 PM

Denise:
Hope I didn't confuse you.

I'm confused now. Smile

It sounds like you're reporting CPU spikes, which may or may not be associated with Internet access?

FWIW, CEF is the Chromium Embedded Framework: a version of the Chrome web browser that runs inside our application and powers the home page (and some other HTML content). We configure it to not access the Internet when you're working offline, but I suppose it's possible that there's some part of it that ignores that configuration? But without more specific details (e.g., remote host, port, URL, etc.) it may be difficult to track down the component responsible for Internet access while working offline.

Posts 24488
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 18 2015 11:34 PM

Tripp Castell:
Okay. Great. Any idea when 6.2 will be released as stable? 

6 weeks after beta 1 would suggest April 13 as the date.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 18599
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 12:56 AM

Bradley Grainger (Faithlife):
a version of the Chrome web browser that runs inside our application

Did you get away from dependencies on web browsers in the move from Libronix to Logos 4?

Posts 7910
LogosEmployee

Rosie Perera:
Did you get away from dependencies on web browsers in the move from Libronix to Logos 4?

There two key differences between LDLS3's use of Internet Explorer and Logos 6's use of CEF:

1. CEF is bundled in Logos 6, and we choose when (or if) to update it. IE was controlled completely by Microsoft.
  2. We have the full source code to CEF and can modify it to fix bugs (we have already done this several times to improve Mac compatibility).

We treat CEF like we would any other third-party library, of which many are used by Logos 6 (see the licenses in the About dialog!).

Posts 9938
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2015 10:56 AM

Bradley, I appreciate your curiousity and advice notes.  It's so predictable (and CPU intensive) that now I just keep L6 out of memory.  

My time is so precious, even a hint of delay is unacceptable (joking).  In high school, my poster on the wall was a vulture waiting in the desert .... 'Patience, my xxx, I'm going to kill something.'

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS