How to copy a Bible verse

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10
Rick Brooks | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 20 2015 9:44 AM

I know I must be missing something here. It's a lot of involvement to go to the tools menu and select the copy verses procedure to copy a simple verse of passage from the Bible that I want to past in a document. I know I can highlight the verse in the Bible text and then right click and select copy. But when I do that, the reference is not there and I have to manually type it at the beginning of my verse as is my chosen way to display it in my sermon notes.

My question is this: isn't there a simpler and more efficient way to do that in this cadillac program? In my old, cheap bible software programs I've had for years, I simply highlight the text, right click and copy, then paste it in my notes and voila! There's the verse WITH the reference at the beginning of the verse. Will this fancy, expensive Logos 6 not do that too? Surely I am just too blind to find the feature to do it quickly and simply ;)

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 10:35 AM

Rick

It is relatively simple to do what you want.

I have a simple layout where the Bible pane is linked to the Copy Bible Verses pane.

Then it is just a simple matter of hitting copy in CBV when you have the verse selected in the Bible pane.

See my screenshot.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 10
Rick Brooks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 7:08 PM

Alan,

Thanks for the example. I'll try practicing with that, but I'm pretty new to Logos, so I am not sure how to keep that layout handy.,...can it be pinned to the top of the layout menu? How many key strokes does it take to get that verse into a word document? Seems so simple in my old Power Bible and in my Wordsearch. Just a 5 second procedure that takes 3 or four strokes. This looks more involved. Does your method put the book/verse reference at the beginning of the verse quotation once it's in the Word doc? Sorry to have so many questions, but this something I haven't come to yet in my Morris Proctor videos. I've watched a little over half of them.

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2015 8:04 PM

Alan, if you've a verse hauled up, i.e. Gen 1:1, right click and you should see "Copy Gen 1:1" ... then lo & behold, it will copy the English "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth" ... now you can paste it to wherever ... though preferably not the wall in your study or the floor!  :-}

Posts 10
Rick Brooks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2015 6:18 AM

Bootjack,

I can highlight a verse, right click and copy it, then paste it in my word processor, but it doesn't give me a book and chapter reference with the verse....only the verse number that was highlighted. Other than that, it works fine. But my complaint is that with the number one Bible Software in the world, I should be able to copy and paste a simple verse as well as I can with my old cheaper Bible software. I know it can surely be done with Logos. I just don't know how.

Thanks,

Rick

Posts 11640
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2015 6:29 AM

Rick Brooks:

I can highlight a verse, right click and copy it, then paste it in my word processor, but it doesn't give me a book and chapter reference with the verse....only the verse number that was highlighted. Other than that, it works fine.

Rick, 

I think the issue is that you copy (and later paste) the selection after your right click - which upon pasting gives the verse in a footnote citation, just like for any other book (you may have even turned this off). This will include even footnotes from the bible:

For God so lovedw the world that he gavex his one and only Son,y that whoever believesz in him shall not perish[1]

w Ro 5:8; Eph 2:4; 1 Jn 4:9, 10

x Isa 9:6; Ro 8:32

y Ge 22:12; Jn 1:18

z See ver 15

[1] The New International Version (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2011), Jn 3:16.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If, however, you copy and paste the reference, I think it will look like you want it to:

John 3:16 (NIV)

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 240
Brian Losabia | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2015 8:51 AM

Rick Brooks:

Bootjack,

I can highlight a verse, right click and copy it, then paste it in my word processor, but it doesn't give me a book and chapter reference with the verse....only the verse number that was highlighted. Other than that, it works fine. But my complaint is that with the number one Bible Software in the world, I should be able to copy and paste a simple verse as well as I can with my old cheaper Bible software. I know it can surely be done with Logos. I just don't know how.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick,

When you right click on a word/verse/selection, the pop-up menu actually has "tabs" on the right hand side of it, allowing you to work with the selected text, the Bible reference, and even different aspects of the original Hebrew/Greek word(s).  I think that you can get the sort of formatting you're looking for if you 1) highlight your desired verses, 2) right click on your selected verses, 3) select the Reference "tab" from the right hand side of the pop up menu, and 4) select Copy Jn 3:16 (or whatever) from the left hand side of the pop up menu.  I made a crummy screen shot to illustrate:

Thanks NB.Mick and Bootjack for the pointers.  I had never used this sort of copying until learning about it in this thread!

Posts 303
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2015 11:29 AM

It would be helpful to have a keyboard shortcut that would copy to the clipboard a formatted verse(s) from a Bible or a search result. I would use that shortcut frequently if it were available.

Posts 10
Rick Brooks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2015 12:02 PM

Thanks, Guys, for the helpful input. I can live with this method of copy/pasting verses okay. This should be put in the videos, manuals, and training materials in the very beginning pages. Thanks again for helping me with this problem that is now manageable.

Rick

Posts 10
Rick Brooks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2015 12:03 PM

Problem solved. Thanks to all of you.

God bless,

Rick

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS