Logos 6 On Mobile App Only?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Patricia Anderson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 23 2015 12:01 PM

Does anyone use Logos 6 on mobile apps only? I have an older MAC that is not up-gradable to Mavericks. I have no plans to get a new MAC at this time. I use my iPAD for most tasks outside of work, and only use my MAC laptop when doing presentations for my Sunday school class, for deeper internet research, Excel etc. 

I was hoping Logos had an online subscription option but since that is not available one of the sales reps suggested I try out purchasing the software and using it on my iPad/iPhone for 30 days and seeing if that was useful. I would then have use of the tool and the software whenever I did purchase a new MAC, probably in the next couple of years. 

Has anyone tried this? If so, do the mobile apps give you access to enough of the software's features to be worth it? What package do you recommend?

Thanks.

Posts 29253
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 12:35 PM

I don't think you received good advice. I am unaware of any features of L6, that are available on mobile.  If you are wanting resources found in in L6 base package, then it might be worth it. But if your goal is to get the tools from L6, then it would not be worth it.

Out of curiosity: what was your intent or hopes for in "online" package?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 12:44 PM

You can download the iOS app for free with a few free resources. After trying it decide whether you want to buy.

https://www.logos.com/ipad

Posts 4
Patricia Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 12:56 PM

It was my understanding that by purchasing the software, I would have access to content not available with just the free app.  Perhaps that is not the case. 

When I refer to an "online" package, I mean online access as if I had access to an online version of the software but not stored locally on a desktop/laptop.

Thanks.

Posts 4
Patricia Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 12:57 PM

Yes, I do use this but it is limited. I do extensive Bible study and am looking for more content.

Thanks. 

Posts 24530
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 12:59 PM

Patricia Anderson:
It was my understanding that by purchasing the software, I would have access to content not available with just the free app

That is the case.

If you buy a Logos 6 package - or any Logos resource(s) - then, assuming the resources are mobile-enabled you will be able to access them on your iPad.

You will be able to use the features of the iOS app against those resources - such as running a Passage Guide and looking at relevant concordances - but you wan't have access to the new features in Logos 6.

Does this help clarify things?

Posts 4
Patricia Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 1:14 PM

Graham, this does help clarify.

Graham Criddle:
If you buy a Logos 6 package - or any Logos resource(s) - then, assuming the resources are mobile-enabled you will be able to access them on your iPad.

I have never owned any of the Logos software so am not sure what features Logos 6 has over previous versions. The sales rep did say that the tech teams are working on adding features to the mobile apps as quickly as they could so expected the mobile experience to improve with time. 

The option to try for 30 days is a good one although I won't know what I'm missing. . I am hoping someone can tell me if the mobile experience is worth spending the money for lets say the Basic Package vs. not having access to the content at all. 

Posts 29253
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 1:39 PM

Patricia Anderson:
I have never owned any of the Logos software

Let me apologize for my comment above. I assumed you were already a Logos user. Let me clarify some things:

• "Logos 6" or "L6" really SHOULD only be used to refer to the desktop software (Mac or PC)... although Faithlife does confuse things a bit by talking about L6 Base Packages. Your subject line "Logos 6 On Mobile App Only" isnt really the right question since "Logos 6" is a desktop application and doesn't run on mobile.
  • Base Packages include both resources and data sets (things needed to make certain tools work).
  • At present, most "data sets" only have value within the desktop environment. 
  • Most resources (books) are available on both desktop and mobile, but not all. Faithlife's philosophy is that users should have "everywhere access" to the resources they own. The ability to put this into practice, however, sometimes comes into technical problems or differences of opinion by the copyright holders. 

Patricia Anderson:
I am hoping someone can tell me if the mobile experience is worth spending the money for lets say the Basic Package vs. not having access to the content at all. 

My tentative answer would be to not purchase a package at this point... but perhaps you can tell us more about what you are looking to do?

FWIW - Purchasing a base package has two advantages:

1. Gaining access to certain tools (most of which you won't have access to on mobile!)
  2. Gaining a library of books. The starter package is very skimpy in this regard. 

I assume you are the person subscribed to this thread. Is that right? It might be good for you to change the subject line to something like "Buying a Base Package for Mobile Only Access" and having a moderator move this thread to the mobile forum (again, since L6 is desktop only and your question is about mobile).

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 24530
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 1:44 PM

Patricia Anderson:
I have never owned any of the Logos software so am not sure what features Logos 6 has over previous versions

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/92701.aspx highlights the new features in Logos 6 but, not having owned the software before, it is might not help too much!

Patricia Anderson:
The sales rep did say that the tech teams are working on adding features to the mobile apps as quickly as they could so expected the mobile experience to improve with time

Yes - and the mobile app does continue to improve - recently support has been added to enable it to share reading plans created using some of the new capabilities of Logos 6 - but there are some features from Logos 5 which aren't present in the mobile apps and I don't know which of the Logos 6 ones are planned.

It is probably best to think of the mobile apps as "complementary" to the desktop app as opposed to seeing it replacing.

Patricia Anderson:
The option to try for 30 days is a good one although I won't know what I'm missing. . I am hoping someone can tell me if the mobile experience is worth spending the money for lets say the Basic Package vs. not having access to the content at all.

Taking Logos 6 Starter as an example - and just looking at the resources as opposed to support for some of the Logos 6 features:

• you get a number of Bibles
  • you get access to reverse interlinear capability which allows you to run Bible Word Studies against the underlying original languages
  • you get a couple of audio Bibles
  • you get a couple of Greek Apparatus
  • some harmonies and parallel passages
  • three study Bibles (one of which - the Faithlife one - is available for free)
  • a range of basic commentaries
  • a number of dictionaries
  • some maps
  • a few biblical studies books
  • some theology resources
  • some devotionals
  • a few apologetics resources
  • a few general reference books

This is an extract from https://www.logos.com/product/43516/starter and I would expect that you could access all of these on your mobile device.

But you would need to determine whether this is of value to you.

Hope this helps

Posts 5245
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 1:15 PM

Patricia Anderson:

Hi Patricia

If you have taken the 30 day option you might like to try logging into www.biblia.com you might find the web app there useful.

You sparked my curiosity with your question so I gave it a try on my iPad - it is quite clunky but worth the investigation.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS