Is that a good offer??

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1557
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 11:10 AM

Into Grace:
Yes, the authors are Calvinists. Because of this, some passages are not allowed to mean what the grammar and context indicates.

That's pretty presumptuous. 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 638
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 11:16 AM

And your post is not?

Posts 130
Daniel Ne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 11:28 AM

Thanks for the information!! It was very helpful. 

Posts 638
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2015 11:32 AM

Deleted

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2015 8:25 AM

hmmm....sorry folks.  I don't bash Calvinists...I am just confessing I like to know the known bias of those writing these volumes and I do not always know when I hit purchase.  From what I read though it looked useful regardless. I bought it.

Posts 638
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2015 11:21 AM

JoshInRI:

hmmm....sorry folks.  I don't bash Calvinists...

My post was not intended to bash Calvinists.  There are many, many committed Christians who love Jesus Christ who are Calvinists. I have benefited from their books, especially commentaries. I will break bread with them; we both serve the same Savior; we will spend eternity together praising our Savior :) I don't like theological systems (Calvinism, Dispensationalism, etc.). Because of the priesthood of the believer (direct accountability to God), we should spend time in Scripture and allow it and the Spirit of God to define our theology over time —not a predefined theological grid.  There are many job openings in the Berean interpretation department. The early church did not interpret the Bible under a theological lens. They had "the faith that was once for all delivered to the Saints" (Jude 3). When the Scripture is approached under the lens of a theological system, the system can become the authority. This is upside down.  With the reservations expressed, I do recommend this commentary set. 
Posts 10040
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2015 11:56 AM

Into Grace, being a plain-text afficionado, I agree with you.  But your phrasing implied (by subtracting from 100%), that a sizable share of Calvinists weren't committed Christians. I don't presume to know the definition of either, but the word 'Really?!' did come to mind.

Posts 31
Tony J. Bowe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 29 2015 7:00 PM

Reading some of these replies, and being non-Reformed (though Calvinist-leaning) in my theology, do you think this commentary is worth picking up for the price? I have a gift code to knock $10 off, too, so I am debating picking this up. I am on a tight budget (college student), but figured I would give it a whirl if it sounds like it is, indeed, worth it!

Thanks for any input!

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 29 2015 7:06 PM

Tony,

Yes, it is worth it at the sale price and with the gift code it will be even more so. Having said that, I respect that you're on a budget and that even then it could be a stretch. Grace to you.

Posts 270
Kelvin Niblett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 29 2015 8:24 PM

Tony J. Bowe:

Reading some of these replies, and being non-Reformed (though Calvinist-leaning) in my theology, do you think this commentary is worth picking up for the price? I have a gift code to knock $10 off, too, so I am debating picking this up. I am on a tight budget (college student), but figured I would give it a whirl if it sounds like it is, indeed, worth it!

Thanks for any input!

I own way too many resources especially commentaries on Logos (pretty much all of the major series), and the Baker commentary is prioritized at number 2, because I find it the most useful for both sermon prep, academic studies and personal study.

Posts 31
Tony J. Bowe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 29 2015 10:34 PM

Great! I am going to do it! Thank you for the replies! Cannot wait to take advantage of this incredible offer! Grace be with you!

Posts 6229
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 30 2015 5:05 PM

I even have it in Spanish!

DAL

Posts 179
Matthew Langlois | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 11:33 AM

I used my $50 gift code to purchase the whole collection for free. I waited for three months for a deal worthy, and once I saw this I immediately pounced. 

One of the best purchases I've made in logos

Posts 1776
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 5:30 PM

DAL:

I even have it in Spanish!

DAL

Yes

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS