How does Logos Calculate Discounts for Collections

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 29
Kirk E. Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 23 2015 7:32 PM

Question: Does anyone know how Logos calculates one's personally discounted rates for collections in which one owns some of the items already?

For example, I own some of the items within the IVP Reference Collection, but not all of them. Logos therefore lists this collection at a personally discounted price. But I'm wondering how this price is calculated.

Thanks.

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 7:37 PM

I think it is (total retail cost of items in collection-total retail cost of owned)/total retail cost of items in collection * bundle cost

Posts 558
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 7:41 PM

I believe Logos credits you what your titles are worth in the collection you are thinking of buying, not on what you paid for them originally. So if a collection is heavily discounted, dynamic pricing will reflect that for pricing purposes. As you can imagine many titles from years ago that were sold individually are now included in heavily discounted packages sometimes as much as 75% or more.

Posts 29
Kirk E. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 7:48 PM

Sure. But the question I have is how does one determine how much a title is worth in the collection (at its discounted rate). In other words, how might one determine how much a particular item in the collection is discounted?

Posts 31316
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 8:01 PM

Given how dynamic pricing works, I suspect Faithlife doesn't calculate a discount by item in the collection but only a discount for the entire collection. What makes you think otherwise i.e. what sparks your question.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29
Kirk E. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 8:16 PM

No, I'm assuming you are correct on that. Nonetheless, that fact that owning certain items discounts the entire collection further, I imagine this further personally discounted rate is determined by the cost of the items already owned. Thus, in a sense it would seem one could determine how much each item in the collection costs at their discounted rate in the collection.

I will explain what prompted this question. That may help some.

I'm looking to get The New Dictionary of Biblical Theology. And I'm crossing my fingers that its one of the books that will be discounted in the March Madness under D.A. Carson's works.

However, that work is also in this IVP Reference collection; and there are other works in the collection I have on my wish list. So, buying this collection at some point is a possibility for me.

Given the discounted rate of this IVP Reference collection, The New Dictionary of Biblical Theology might actually be cheaper within the collection itself.

Thus, if I bought the work on its own (e.g., as a March Madness sale), it would end up discounting the IVP collection further for me personally. But depending on how much the work costs within the collection, that extra discounted amount may end up being less than I payed for the dictionary on its own. In that case, I might as well have bought it within the collection since I'm interested in the buying the collection eventually anyways.

In others words, I'd like to be able to crunch the numbers to determine which option is cheaper.

Hope that makes sense.

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 8:33 PM

Kirk E. Miller:

Hope that makes sense.

It does.

The IVP collection has a list price of $621 and sells for $190 or a 70% discount.

I will make the assumption that Logos' list price is the sum of the list prices of each individual item in the collection. (You could verify that assumption should you desire to.) Assuming Logos discounts every item in the collection by the same amount (70%), the maximum discount you could receive for a missing item is 70%.

Assuming that when Logos calculates your dynamic price it actually applies this 70% discount against the list price of the items you do not own in the collection, you'd have to have Carson win the tournament to beat your dynamic price (thereby saving an additional 5%).

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 29
Kirk E. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2015 9:02 PM

That makes sense.

Thanks!

Posts 2689
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 5:39 PM

Collection deals are usually the bargain hunter's best friend. I keep seeing this pattern. Whenever you look at a reference, check the package or package it is in if there is one. Building your library is always a good idea and the package concept rewards it.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS