Report a typo = Logos Credit

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 24 2015 8:11 AM

I think it would be really nice if an incentive could be given for reported errors and typos. My thought was that a nominal sum could be credited to the person's account who was the FIRST one to report a LEGITIMATE typo/error. If not limited to the first person, this would likely be cost prohibitive, as a single typo could potentially generate thousands of reports (especially with an incentive) Smile

I just think it would be nice for those who are passionate about Logos and want to help make it even better!

Is this idea hair-brained, horrendous, or heavenly? Stick out tongue

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 8:25 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
Is this idea hair-brained, horrendous, or heavenly? Stick out tongue

It has been suggested before and it did not go anywhere so maybe Faithlife thinks there are too many typos..?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 8:53 AM

Make it retroactive and I would have lots of credit. 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3294
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 11:51 AM

I think it is worth revisiting. I correct typos quite a bit. I understand nobody is perfect but users should also be recognized for contributions.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 12:40 PM

A credit for reporting all typos, or just the ones from works published by Faithlife (or typos in some way introduced into the work by Faithlife)?

If for all typos, will Faithlife want to 'pay' us for reporting typos caused by the publisher? (On the other hand, are the publishers giving Faithlife some sort of incentive for passing on our typo reports?)

Is there any way the user can know whether a typo is caused by Faithlife or the publisher? (Of course, here I'm obviously not considering resources published by Faithlife themselves.)

Since everyone reporting the typo cannot get a credit, how will they let us know we're not the first to report it?

Will we take Faithlife's word that all of the 47 typos we reported in May were already reported by someone else and therefore not eligible for a credit?

What is the suggested credit per typo report?

(Related note: I'm reading a new book published by Lexham Press and I've come across 6 typos so far in just the Introduction. I'm reading the book via the iOS app so I haven't reported any of them yet, though I've marked them for later.)

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 12:42 PM

David Taylor Jr:

I correct typos quite a bit.

Did you mean to say you 'report' typos quite a bit? 

Posts 3294
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 12:50 PM

Yasmin Stephen:

David Taylor Jr:

A typo? Embarrassed

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 1:01 PM

David Taylor Jr:

Yasmin Stephen:

David Taylor Jr:

A typo? Embarrassed

No credit for me? WinkBig Smile

Posts 880
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 2:45 PM

I had a calculus textbook in college whose publisher offered 5 cents for every typo that was put onto the errata insert. Ah, the good ol' days. Smile

Posts 690
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 9:58 PM

How about considering our reporting of typos as just one more way of contributing to the Logos/Faithlife community and a service to theological scholarship?

Posts 19180
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 24 2015 10:07 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
I think it would be really nice if an incentive could be given for reported errors and typos.

They don't need to give us any incentive since we're already reporting them faster than they can fix them. They have a huge backlog. They do make progress and release updated resources with typo fixes in them every so often, but more of the typos that I've reported haven't been fixed yet than have. So I don't think it would be a good use of their money to give people credit for reporting typos. I'd rather they use that money to hire more people to fix the typos we're already reporting.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 2:49 AM

Steve Maling:

How about considering our reporting of typos as just one more way of contributing to the Logos/Faithlife community and a service to theological scholarship?

Yes

That has always been the way that I've looked at it. Reporting a typo gives me a warm glow. It means that I'm still sharp enough to spot it! Big Smile

Now if someone was suggesting a way of rewarding reporting of wrong links … Wink

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 155
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 4:49 AM

Alan Macgregor:

Steve Maling:

Yes

That has always been the way that I've looked at it. Reporting a typo gives me a warm glow. It means that I'm still sharp enough to spot it! Big Smile

Now if someone was suggesting a way of rewarding reporting of wrong links … Wink

Every blessing

Alan

I share the same sentiments of community and service ... and especially the part that "I'm still sharp enough to spot it!". Wink

Posts 5237
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 5:13 AM

Reuben Helmuth:
I think it would be really nice if an incentive could be given for reported errors and typos.

The reward that I would really like is to see the volumes coming through in the 'Resources updated' list'.

Working my way through the first of four books in Wrights Christian Origins series has involved reporting typo's by the dozen.

In fact apart from those reported in the ESV I have yet to notice a typo that I have reported corrected.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 6:30 AM

Alan Macgregor:
 Reporting a typo gives me a warm glow. It means that I'm still sharp enough to spot it! Big Smile

My pleasure in the task is derived from spotting the Greek or Hebrew typos.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS