Create website links in L4's Favorites

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 22 2010 9:39 AM

I have created my favorite Logos website links in L4 in the Favorite tool. This comes in handy and for me it is easier than using the bookmarks in the browser. (below is an image of my favorites)

Below is an image which has directions on how i did it.

You will need to drag & drop the new links over the folder for them to be indented/attached to the folder.

Using this method, you can create web links for other things that you may want to use in your study.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 9:50 AM

Genius.... 

Thanks for posting!

Posts 1658
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 11:01 AM

steve clark:
I have created my favorite Logos website links in L4 in the Favorite tool.

thanks Steve, you have just saved me some space on a VERY crowded "shortcut" bar. As well as your links I've done the same for other BIble study programs and word processors.

thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 11:12 AM

That made me think back to a previous thread that where a user came up with a way to use notes to keep a reading list by removing the position indicator from the address. You can use the Favorites folder to accomplish this. On your computers desktop right click and select New>Shortcut. Paste the URL from the resource you are trying to read through in the address box. Remove the Position indicator from the URL, then drag the shortcut to the favorites List. If anyone is interested in doing but can't figure it out from this post let me know. I'll try to remember to check this thread and post more detailed instructions :-)

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 11:48 AM

Philip Spitzer:
You can use the Favorites folder to accomplish this. On your computers desktop right click and select New>Shortcut. Paste the URL from the resource you are trying to read through in the address box.

If you do this, be aware that the link in the Favorites folder points to this desktop shortcut--not to the resource. That means that if you change the shortcut the link will no longer work. Also means that if you delete the shortcut, the Favorites link is broken. You might want to create a folder to put the shortcuts in rather than have them all on the desktop.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 3:38 PM

Gary O'Neal:

Philip Spitzer:
You can use the Favorites folder to accomplish this. On your computers desktop right click and select New>Shortcut. Paste the URL from the resource you are trying to read through in the address box.

If you do this, be aware that the link in the Favorites folder points to this desktop shortcut--not to the resource. That means that if you change the shortcut the link will no longer work. Also means that if you delete the shortcut, the Favorites link is broken. You might want to create a folder to put the shortcuts in rather than have them all on the desktop.

Ahhh...didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:26 AM

I love this idea but it's not working for me.  I open up my browser (IE) and try to drag the tab to L4, but as soon as I start to drag it, it shows a circle with a line through it.  What am I doing wrong?

Linkless in Long Island

Thanks!

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 7:28 AM

Anthony U:
I open up my browser (IE) and try to drag the tab to L4, but as soon as I start to drag it, it shows a circle with a line through it. 
Instead of dragging the tab, try dragging the icon in front of the address in the address bar.

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 11:30 AM

Steve, thanks for the awesome suggestion. I feel almost as if I'm on my way to becoming a power user!

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 12:26 PM

I tried and unfortunately it didn't work.  When I try dragging the icon from the command line, it is a black circle with a line through it.  When I try an icon from the actual tab, it is a red circle. 

However, I can drag something over from my Favorites in IE to L4.  It might be cumbersome, but I can save something to my IE favorites and then drag it over from there for now (weird).  Thanks for the reply.

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 2:59 PM

Anthony U:
my Favorites in IE

This works in Firefox but doesn't seem to in IE. Someone that uses IE regularly may be able to give you a shorter method.

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 3:02 PM

steve clark:

Below is an image which has directions on how i did it.

You will need to drag & drop the new links over the folder for them to be indented/attached to the folder.

Steve

I notice that you are using Firefox for this. Do you know how to do this in IE? IE doesn't let you drag the icon from the address bar.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 4:01 PM

Gary O'Neal:
Do you know how to do this in IE?

I don't use IE that much and haven't found a way of doing it with IE. But IE will allow you to drag a link from Favorites, also it will allow you to drag a link (one that you have setup on your link bar) from the link bar. SorrySad

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:29 PM

Steve

Do you want to put a note on your Favorites wiki page about this? Maybe we can figure out a way to do it with IE.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:33 PM

Gary O'Neal:
Do you want to put a note on your Favorites wiki page about this?

Gary,

Already done. After reading your post, and playing with IE, i added a note & image in the wiki under Adding Internet links to Favorites. If you figure this out, let me know and i will update the wiki!

EDIT: Gary, thanks for the input !

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:38 PM

steve clark:
thanks for the input !

Your welcome. I've been searching and playing with IE to figure out an easier way to do this also. Just another reason to use FF.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 9:42 PM

Gary,

After doing some more searching, i found that IE supports creating a new link on IE's favorite bar. i have added more IE details in the wiki (see here and look towards the bottom of this article).

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 8:45 AM

Philip Spitzer:

Gary O'Neal:

Philip Spitzer:

Ahhh...didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Philip

I really liked your thoughts of adding these to Favorites but I didn't want all those shortcuts on my desktop. I created a folder in My Documents (and added a link to this folder in L4 Favorites so it's easy to get to) and created my shortcuts there. These can then be dragged into L4 Favorites and renamed. This gives easy access to resources you are trying to work your way through systematically. Thanks for the ideas.

Posts 20
Donald Minshew | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 1:45 PM

This worked great for me.  I was able to utilize both Firefox and Chrome to set up the favorites.  I head for the forums quite often and setting up a favorite for that is great.  I also like to check the possibilities in community pricing and have a favorite for that now.  Thanks again for the help.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS