English Glosses in UBS5

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 62
Mark Kulikovsky | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 27 2015 7:41 PM

Are people seeing English glosses in the recently released UBS5 when they hover over a word? The English glosses appear fine in the UBS4 text when you hover over a word but I am not seeing them in the UBS5 text - I only see the Greek parsing and Lemma but not the English gloss. Is this a setup issue or are they just not there in the UBS5 - even though the Information panel about the resource says: "Each word carried with it searchable morphological data along with lexical forms and English glosses."

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2015 8:21 PM

The pop-ups are definitely not the same. It isn't a setup issue. The information is not there. I don't know why Logos changed this. (L.N. domains are also removed from the UBS5 pop-ups.)

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1370
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2015 9:49 PM

We'll look into this to determine what data is supposed to be included, and make any necessary revisions.

Thanks for the report!

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 62
Mark Kulikovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 27 2015 10:26 PM

Thanks Rick - I'll leave that with you then.

Posts 1370
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 2 2015 1:13 PM

We will release an update of UBS5 that has English glosses in it, probably with the next round of resource updates. Due to the way this particular text edition is licensed, we will not be including the Louw-Nida annotation in it.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Mark.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 2 2015 5:46 PM

Thank you, Rick and team for the quick work!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 9:05 PM

Are the LN annotations in the NA28?

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 687
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2015 9:41 PM

Not as far as I can see.

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 1:50 AM

Nathan Parker:

Yes. See the screen shot.

Posts 3285
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:18 AM

Mark Kulikovsky:

Are people seeing English glosses in the recently released UBS5 when they hover over a word? The English glosses appear fine in the UBS4 text when you hover over a word but I am not seeing them in the UBS5 text - I only see the Greek parsing and Lemma but not the English gloss. Is this a setup issue or are they just not there in the UBS5 - even though the Information panel about the resource says: "Each word carried with it searchable morphological data along with lexical forms and English glosses."

A work around: You can right click on a word in UBS5, open "show information" once the "information" window is open, open "settings" select "Greek lemma", go to "get definition from:" select  "specific resource" then select "LN" from your resources.

Now this only works when information window is open but I have been using it of late and found I like it better than popups, MHO only :).

edit: change function from h"hover" to "click" it works much faster :)

Posts 1370
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 5:40 AM

Nathan Parker:

The answer is both yes and no.

The NA28 in Logos packages (this one: https://www.logos.com/product/27509/nestle-aland-greek-new-testament-28th-edition-with-morphology), yes.

The NA28 from the GBS, with the apparatus (this one: https://www.logos.com/product/29980/nestle-aland-greek-new-testament-28th-edition-with-critical-apparatus), no.

The licensing of the UBS5 is akin to the latter, not the former.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 687
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 8:03 AM

Rick, thank you for the clarification. I was answering on the basis of the GBS NA 28 with apparatus.

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 7:51 PM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
We will release an update of UBS5 that has English glosses in it, probably with the next round of resource updates

I got it today. Thanks for the prompt attention to this.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 62
Mark Kulikovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2015 2:34 AM

Thanks Rick and Team Logos - your prompt attention to this matter is much appreciated.

Mark

Posts 11497
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 1 2016 7:17 AM

Rick Brannan (Faithlife):
We will release an update of UBS5 that has English glosses in it, probably with the next round of resource updates.

Seems that it was a quick fix introducing this - but somewhere over the course of the year, the NA 28 have lost their English glosses.... 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 1 2016 8:22 AM

UBS5 turned into NA28 ... I think the culprit is George in sheep's clothing.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 45
Clifford L. Frazier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 2 2016 6:27 PM

I was just referred to this thread after complaining about the absence of the English translation being included.  Here are two screen shots one taken from my MacBook Pro and the other from my MacBook Air.  Both shots looking at the same workspace and the same version of the NA28 Logos Edition.  I'm rather frustrated as it used to work on my MacBook Pro now it doesn't - where work means displaying the English translation in the stream.

Posts 45
Clifford L. Frazier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 2 2016 6:42 PM

I did find one difference while going through both computers with a fine toothed comb.  My MacBook Pro - the one w/o the English shows this information in the Info panel LLS:NA28
2016-05-25T14:36:43Z
NA28.logos4  On my MacBook Air the info reads LLS:NA28 2015-06-10T15:19:39Z NA28.logos4.  Well that's the best I can do.  I just hope this gets fixed, as I use this feature often especially with >50 times words in the text.  Thank you

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 2 2016 7:58 PM

Clifford, your MacBook Pro seems to have an older edition of the NA28. As George pointed out above, the current version (the one with the 2016 date stamp) no longer has the English glosses.

Hopefully Faithlife will see this thread, but I encourage you to start a new one specifically on the NA28 glosses as it is more likely to be seen. You can, of course, reference this thread in that new posting.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 45
Clifford L. Frazier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 2 2016 8:01 PM

Thank you so much for responding.  Actually, I did start a post on this subject.  I did it yesterday.  It was yesterday too when I uploaded "new resources" on my MacBook Pro.  I did it during the recess in class.  Came back and my English glosses had disappeared.  Bummer!  I do hope that they see it and fix it quickly.  Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS