What am I missing?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 38
Pastor Greg | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 30 2015 1:47 PM

There was a tip today from Morris Proctor about searching all the places that an event is referenced. He used the Israelites crossing the Red Sea as an example.

Since next Sunday is Easter, I thought that I would do the same thing for the resurrection of Christ. Logos returned FIVE passages in Factbook - FIVE. 

Doing a cultural concept search in the ESV found 68 results, which sounds much better.

So, what's wrong with my search technique? I truly hope that Logos' datasets didn't limit the resurrection, of all topics, to FIVE passages!

Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 30 2015 2:09 PM

The Factbook presents top answers not comprehensive answers by design. However, two questions:

Did you run the Factbook on the topic "Resurrection of Jesus Christ" or the event "Jesus' resurrection" (there appears to be a bug in the event).

Did you follow the contents of the "more" buttons and run the suggested Searches?

The Factbook is designed to be a quick reference or a starting point for in depth study.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 24442
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 30 2015 4:44 PM

Gregory Lawhorn:
So, what's wrong with my search technique?

Not much! After an investigation of Factbook and then a look at the Cultural Ontology Glossary I only got 37 results in ESV with {Section <Culture The resurrection of Jesus>}Big Smile  - I did a Basic search, so I presume you did a Bible Search.

Gregory Lawhorn:
I truly hope that Logos' datasets didn't limit the resurrection, of all topics, to FIVE passages!

Factbook entries are curated whereas Cultural Ontology comes from a dataset.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 38
Pastor Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 6:00 AM

Thanks, M.J.

To answer your questions, I ran the search on "resurrection of Jesus Christ," per the pop-up when I started typing. I just re-ran the search, using the theme Jesus: Resurrection and Ascension, and got 77 passages - much better!

I did take a look at some of the others, but still didn't get the result I expected. 

Thanks for the response!

Posts 38
Pastor Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 6:07 AM

Hi Dave,

Now, that's weird. I copied your search phrase and ran it in the ESV, under Basic, searching Everything, and got back 68 results.

It also seems like the number of results varies depending on phrasing, so "resurrection of jesus christ" brings back a different set of results than "jesus' resurrection." 

I really appreciate Logos - I changed over from Accordance after many years - but I'm sometimes baffled by its logic. Searching the Topic "resurrection of Jesus Christ" (which was suggested in the pop up) in the ESV, under Basic, searching everything, returns ZERO passages. Somewhere, somehow, that makes sense, I suppose, but it reminds me of my mother when I was growing up:

Me: "May I have a drink?"

Mom: "No, no, HOW do you ask?"

Me: "May I have a drink, PLEASE?"

Posts 21572
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 7:31 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:
Now, that's weird. I copied your search phrase and ran it in the ESV, under Basic, searching Everything, and got back 68 results.

I also get 68 results in ESV - with either Basic or Bible searches - so interested to understand why Dave is getting different results.

Gregory Lawhorn:
It also seems like the number of results varies depending on phrasing, so "resurrection of jesus christ" brings back a different set of results than "jesus' resurrection." 

Where are you conducting these searches?

If in Factbook as above then, as MJ points out, one is a Topic and one is a Timeline. The Timeline hit is due to a Community Tag and nothing to do with the tagging which Faithlife have done.

Gregory Lawhorn:
Searching the Topic "resurrection of Jesus Christ" (which was suggested in the pop up) in the ESV, under Basic, searching everything, returns ZERO passages

Where are you finding this search? Which popup are you referring to?

Posts 26013
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 11:52 AM

See https://community.logos.com/forums/106.aspx https://community.logos.com/forums/t/102972.aspx for a partial answer to this puzzle ... and a commitment to hold Faithlife to.

Thanks Eli ... I thought a specific post ... why didn't the computer understand?Big Smile Embarrassed

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2
LogosEmployee
Eli T. Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 12:14 PM

MJ, did you mean to paste a link to a particular post, or to the whole beta forum (you did the latter)?

Posts 24442
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 5:13 PM

Graham Criddle:

Gregory Lawhorn:

I also get 68 results in ESV - with either Basic or Bible searches - so interested to understand why Dave is getting different results.

The 4 'results' in Lk 24 is 4 ranges covering 10 verses

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 21572
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 10:08 PM

Dave Hooton:
The 4 'results' in Lk 24 is 4 ranges covering 10 verses

Thanks Dave

I thought you were referring to the ESV portion of the Everything search

Posts 24442
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 1 2015 4:00 AM

Graham Criddle:
I thought you were referring to the ESV portion of the Everything search

I mentioned Bible Search vs Basic Search as a pointer; Logos 6 Everything should have been a separate category alongside Bible and Basic Search!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS