Free Book of the Month - April

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 496
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 12:04 PM

I bought both for 0.99 and when I rechecked the Full Set, the price dropped with the correct amount. Nice. :-D

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 12:11 PM

Jonathan J Watson:

When I check Best Commentaries, it appears that the volume on Isaiah ranks above the following: 

• Young's 3 volume set
  • Goldingay's Understanding the Bible volume
  • Watt's WBC volume
  • NAC
  • Expositor's Bible Commentary
  • And several other respected volumes. 

Yes, but behind 11 other volumes. It's ranked 12th.

Jeremiah is ranked 20th.

It is correct the bestcommentaries is neither scientific nor unbiased. Most of the reviews seem to come from conservative listings.

It is also true that commentaries are a personal choice.

To be fair, here are Tremper Longman's reviews from his OT Commentary Survey book:

Childs, B. S. Isaiah. OTL. Westminster John Knox/SCM, 2001. xx/555 pp.

Well worth getting is Childs’s canon-conscious take on the book. Though not quite as well done in depth and detail as his much earlier Exodus commentary, it is helpful to see how he manages what he considers to be the compositional history of the book with the final form’s theological message. MS****

Allen, L. C. Jeremiah. OTL. Westminster John Knox, 2008. xxix/546 pp.

Allen is an excellent scholar and does a great job articulating the message of Jeremiah in its original context. He helpfully puts his focus on the final form of the book. He pays little attention to the book from a New Testament perspective, I assume by design (there is even only a very brief mention of New Testament’s appropriation of the New Covenant [see 31:31–34]). MS****

So you can see Longman likes both volumes.

Here is part of a review from JETS on Jeremiah

In his introduction, Allen establishes some interesting premises for the commentary. One premise is that he does not make any effort to make contemporary application of the text; Jeremiah is studied as essentially a self-contained text without much effort to address the meaning or significance of Jeremiah’s message for today. Indeed, little effort is made to explain Jeremiah’s specific historical setting and how Jeremiah’s prophecy addressed his own generation (at least, the part of the book of Jeremiah that was extant in his own day). The hermeneutical arch is thus left largely unconstructed at both ends. This is a significant shortcoming for pastors and scholars interested in the meaning and application of the text for our generation. Scholars interested in how key passages such as Jeremiah’s famous “confessions,” his visit to the potter’s house in chapter 18, and his prophecy of the new covenant in chapter 31, will find just a few paragraphs discussing the theological significance of each of these texts. The commentary primarily describes the literary composition and structure of these texts, along with conjectures about the motive for redactional amendments. The focus is thus almost entirely on the style of the text rather than the content of the text.

Steve W. Lemke, “Review of Jeremiah: A Commentary by Leslie C. Allen,” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 53, no. 2 (2010): 392.

Sorry, can't find a review in my journals for the Isaiah volume.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 85
Anthony Keating | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 1:06 PM

I have just been able to download both for the grand sum of 99c. These have to be the best Book of the Month deals yet. Thank you Logos.

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 1:18 PM

Mark Smith:

Bruce Dunning:
Why do you say that Mark?

I doubt I will find them at all helpful. They are very low rated on bestcommentaries.com. I doubt if I had them I'd have time to consult them so whu have them?

Hi Mark,

As a conservative "Conservative Baptist", I have found at least two OTL/NTL volumes very helpful and not just for academic work.  Specifically, Brevard Childs' Exodus and Luke Timothy Johnson's Hebrews are excellent. I may not agree with either of them on every point, but they both offer unique insights.  Tremper Longman praises Childs as one of the best commentaries on Exodus and gives 4 stars to his OTL Isaiah work as well. 

Posts 1957
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 1:51 PM

I would also point out that the Childs' volume is cited many times in the commentaries published after it.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 2:21 PM

It takes a special kind of person, I guess, to be the grump at a party where everyone else is having a good time.  ;)

Posts 6222
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 2:43 PM

Paul Strickert:

It takes a special kind of person, I guess, to be the grump at a party where everyone else is having a good time.  ;)

Yep! Just ask David Paul  Who seems to be grumpy all the time LOL

DAL

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 2:46 PM

Erik:
As a conservative "Conservative Baptist", I have found at least two OTL/NTL volumes very helpful and not just for academic work.  Specifically, Brevard Childs' Exodus and Luke Timothy Johnson's Hebrews are excellent.

I have Childs on Exodus in hard cover. That was a ground-breaking commentary when released. It is still valuable but one needs some updated commentaries to go with it today.

I have read good things about Johnson on Hebrews. Once Logos produces the NTL perhaps it will be unbundled and I can pick up that volume. Unfortunately my Library tells me I already have 51 commentaries dealing with Hebrews and am fortunate to own the top six listed on bestcommentaries, so I wonder...

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 4:12 PM

DAL:

Paul Strickert:

Yep! Just ask David Paul  Who seems to be grumpy all the time LOL

DAL

Super Angry

Posts 4753
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 4:15 PM

Btw, I went ahead and bought the whole OTL collection that Logos offers (pity they don't have the whole thing!) grrrrrrr Angry

...and I am happily downloading it now. Big Smile

Posts 162
Clifford B. Kvidahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 4:21 PM

Mark Smith:

Erik:
As a conservative "Conservative Baptist", I have found at least two OTL/NTL volumes very helpful and not just for academic work.  Specifically, Brevard Childs' Exodus and Luke Timothy Johnson's Hebrews are excellent.

I have Childs on Exodus in hard cover. That was a ground-breaking commentary when released. It is still valuable but one needs some updated commentaries to go with it today.

I have read good things about Johnson on Hebrews. Once Logos produces the NTL perhaps it will be unbundled and I can pick up that volume. Unfortunately my Library tells me I already have 51 commentaries dealing with Hebrews and am fortunate to own the top six listed on bestcommentaries, so I wonder...

Mark,

Johnson on Hebrews is excellent, as he always is in his many other commentaries. Also, de Boer's Galatians commentary is also pretty good, especially if you are looking for a commentary from the apocalyptic camp (cf. Martyn's Galatians in the AYB). Judith Lieu on 1-3 John is also very good.

The main problem with these are not the scholarship, rather it is the size. For those wanting more discussion on textual matters, these may not be the best choice. Nevertheless, they are well done and worth the time to peruse.

One side note, Best Commentaries is nothing more than crowd sourcing. It can be helpful at times, but I have many times felt like it is nothing more than a popularity contest.

Cliff

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 4:58 PM

Clifford B. Kvidahl:
One side note, Best Commentaries is nothing more than crowd sourcing. It can be helpful at times, but I have many times felt like it is nothing more than a popularity contest.

I do think its a little better than that.

It is sometimes hard to find reviews of individual commentaries (even in Logos journals), so bestcommentaries is needed.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 5:28 PM

Patrick Rietveld:

Maybe tomorrow it turns out to be an April Fool's day joke.

No, this is the April Fool's Day offering:

Thanks to Lew Worthington for that image. I don't know if it was an actual screenshot (I doubt it, as I don't see it up there) or if he Photoshopped it. In any event, very funny. If only...

Posts 777
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 5:45 PM

Yeah, a little digital editing. I was inspired (honestly) by the quality of the April offering and the suggestion from Patrick that it was an April Fool's joke.

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 5:52 PM

Now that's a deal to get excited about!

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 7:02 PM

Rosie Perera:

I hate these 0.99 deals. F.L. should just get on with it and give both free. Devil

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 7:32 PM

Lee:
I hate these 0.99 deals. F.L. should just get on with it and give both free. Devil

Hey, I'd be happy if they sold both for $99.99. Except it'd be kind of silly to sell both since one is a subset of the other. Smile

Posts 172
LogosEmployee
Jonathan J Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 9:18 PM

Lee:

Rosie Perera:

Lee, you did such a great job spoofing this that *I* did a double take, and I work here!

I feel like the "devil-smiley" meant you were joking, so forgive me if I get too serious. :-) But I hope everyone understands how critical the Plus One is to our Publishers. Each month, they graciously offer their content for your (mine too!) benefit. The add-on is just a small, tangible way we show them how much we value it. 

I'm glad you're all enjoying it. It does my heart good to hear the encouragement. Party!!!

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 9:47 PM

Jonathan J Watson:
Lee, you did such a great job spoofing this that *I* did a double take, and I work here!

Yes, I agree. Excellent Photoshopping job! You matched the font and everything. Well done!

Posts 1072
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 31 2015 10:32 PM

Hello I have tried the book of the month link, but when I click on the link it takes me to my cart only to then say something has been removed from my cart...

I checked my Library and I don't have any of the OTL Commentaries. What gives?

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Page 3 of 4 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS