Posts 123
Fred Littlefield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 14 2015 9:41 PM

Check out this post for a Surface Pro 2

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/103461/716341.aspx#716341

Hope that helps?

Posts 18770
Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2015 11:39 AM

Posting this just to help anyone that might be considering the sp3 i3.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the i3 surface pro with accessories, only cost me $10 more than the 4 gig surface 3 with the same accessories would cost me in Canada.

For that extra $10 I got a bigger screen much faster hard drive, faster processor, better kickstand, etc. (but smaller storage)

After using the sp3 for 2 days, and comparing it with my dell venue pro, and my 6 core AMD desktop, I am impressed (but not blown away) with the performance. 

As far as running Logos goes, It's start up time isn't stellar but acceptable (20-25 seconds). it is about 5-10 seconds faster than the dell, and about 5 seconds slower than my desktop.

Once logos is running, the program runs very smooth on the i3 (noticeably better than my desktop that has much better specs, more ram, a dedicated video card, ssd, etc.) 

As far as heat, running logos, facebook, word, email, etc.  doesn't make it break a sweat.  The fan never comes on - and the battery life for this kind of work is exceptional!!  I just finished 8 hours of work, during that time the surface was being used about 5 and a half hours and in connected standby for 2:30 hours.  I had the screen at 25-30% brightness and I am currently at 50% battery life!!  I never expected anywhere near this - my dell would be dead by now if I used it a full day like this.  I was watching the core speed on the processor and it stayed at 600 most of the time and only rarely went up to 1500mhz.  My Dell venue on the other hand has to work much harder on these same tasks and the battery goes much quicker.

Just a side note on battery life.  My first day with it it only lasted a little less than 5 hours as I was installing updates, logos was indexing, etc.  During that time it really heated up, and the fan was on often.

On things like web browsing the speed is just a touch slower than my desktop (hardly noticeable)

So far it has been acceptable in every way - I really did want the i5 but it was more money than I had - but if my battery life continues like this, I am more than satisfied with the i3.

Posts 23
Ragnheðin Ryggstein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2015 11:27 PM

I would like to thank you Greg, for a great review.

And I think this is going to be the one for me 

I've heard about Windows and applications are taking up about 25-30 GB of space, so how does it look like on the surface?

Again thanks

Ragnheðin

Posts 409
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 5:04 AM

Most people find that Logos runs best on a device that has at least 8 gb of RAM, an i5 processor, and an SSD. If the display size of the new Surface 3 is fine for you, you can get a used Surface Pro 2, with an i5, 8 gb of RAM, and a 256 GB SSD (and Type Cover) in good condition on places like eBay for about $650. A used Surface Pro 3 with Type Cover and similar specs (but larger display) will run you $1000 or more. Chances are, when the Surface Pro 4 is announced, prices for the SP 2 and 3 will drop a bit more.  

I'd suggest the SP 2 as an economical way to go. Its performance is close enough to the SP 3 that it could handle Logos very well. Or, wait for the SP 4 to be released and buy the SP 3 on sale.  

Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 7:39 AM

Ragnheðin Ryggstein:

I would like to thank you Greg, for a great review.

And I think this is going to be the one for me 

I've heard about Windows and applications are taking up about 25-30 GB of space, so how does it look like on the surface?

Again thanks

Ragnheðin

Currently I have 21 GB free on my C drive. 

I have full Microsoft office 356 installed, all windows and surface updates, my favorite apps and programs (about 1gb worth), and of course logos which is over 12 gigs (silver plus many added books, but I have many "hidden" that I know I will never use).

When I was done installing everything I was down to like 12 GB free, but then I turned off hibernation (I want to use connected stand by anyway), and also ran disk clean up including cleaning the windows updates.  Between these two things I got up to 21 gigs free. (by the way the clean up for windows updates takes a long time!!, if you do this I suggest plugging it in and leaving it for the night) 

I also have a high speed 32 gig SD card that I have my one drive, pictures, videos, music, and downloads folders stored on.

I haven't backed up and deleted the recovery partition yet, but that will give me another 5 and a half GB - so over 26 GB free on the main drive and 32 gigs to use on the SD card. 

I know from my years with the 32 GB venue 8 pro that I could free up a even more space with a little effort, but I am very comfortable with this amount of free space for my usage, and am not even in a hurry to get rid of the recovery partition. 

Posts 2725
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 12:52 PM

I just got a Toshiba Encore 2 Write and it's also an Atom with only 2GB of RAM and Logos runs, but just barely. I'm guessing the S3 might perform a little better, but not much.

Posts 23
Ragnheðin Ryggstein | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 1:34 PM

Again thanks

I guess I have all the information's now, that I need 

Kind regards

Ragnheðin

Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 1:45 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I just got a Toshiba Encore 2 Write and it's also an Atom with only 2GB of RAM and Logos runs, but just barely. I'm guessing the S3 might perform a little better, but not much.

Agreed.  No doubt the atom processor would be quick enough, but the gpu, storage and the memory speed really hold the processor back.  I remember back in the logos 4 beta stage, Logos was really slow on my system.  I chucked in some extra memory with no improvement.  Then I tried a better video card, and it was like night and day performance wise.  So my biggest question would be whether the improvements to the gpu in the new atom x7 will be enough to make logos usable.  Id rather someone else test that:-)

Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2015 1:49 PM

Ragnheðin Ryggstein:

Again thanks

I guess I have all the information's now, that I need 

Kind regards

Ragnheðin

No problem - I hope it works out for you.  I also hope that the logos team does some work on the touch input for us Surface users:-) 

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 25 2015 6:00 PM

Thanks.  I will NOT be buying the Surface 3.  

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 25 2015 7:38 PM

I have almost 8,000 Logos resources, and my Samsung loads In approximately 10 seconds.

Posts 345
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 25 2015 9:02 PM

OK, I'm seeing comments on how it works vs. a laptop replacement. But how about as a tablet replacement? I have an old Galaxy Tab 2 and have been thinking of switching to a newer tablet. But given I have some moral issues with Apple right now, I was wondering how this one would stack up against an iPad Air 2 or the like.

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. || Gold: Eastern Rite, Orthodox. || Bronze: Ordinariate. Lutheran. || Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 2725
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 12:47 PM

The best thing will be that this runs full Logos. The hard part is that it will likely barely run it. I'll let you know. I'll have it hopefully May 7.

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 12:50 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I'll have it hopefully May 7.

Me, too. You may have told me, but which one are you getting, Kevin? I'm getting the 128/4. 

Shipping on my order says "By May 5." I really wish that could mean something much sooner.

If everything runs satisfactorily, this may become my primary Windows machine since I use Windows to a lesser degree than I use my Mac.

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 2725
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 12:53 PM

I'm getting the same. Returned the Encore.

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2015 12:58 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I'm getting the same. Returned the Encore.

I plan on selling my Encore 2 Write since there's no need for me to have that and the Surface 3, but I do believe the E2W is a great little Windows tablet. 

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 40
Linval London | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 12:34 AM

I just picked up my Surface 3 today...got Logos loaded on it....so far so good.  I have gone from a Surface Pro (1st gen) to this so I know its a step down power wise, but it's not horrible.  I'm waiting for it to finish indexing at the moment, then I can hopefully give some answers to anyone on the fence about this thing.... I am at your service Smile  Bless ya...

Posts 40
Linval London | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 6:15 AM

Update:

I picked up the 128gb/4gb model.  Indexing took about 4 hours, but I made the mistake of trying to install office at the same time, so that may have slowed things down a tad.  

After the index,

Logos opens: approx 20 secs

Home screen populates: approx 5 secs

Run a search from Go button: 12-15 secs (depends on search topic/text)

Open a book from Library: 1 sec

(just rough timings with stop watch)

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 10:57 AM

Thanks for the reports, Linval.  How many resources do you have in your library?

Page 2 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS