Page 4 of 15 (298 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 297 Replies | 18 Followers

Posts 1956
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:48 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Russ (and others),

We have no intention or plan of ending support for the downloadable version. There is a huge, 20+ year investment in the downloadable technology, and it will take years to fully match that functionality on the web. Even then, there will be high value and utility in fast, offline, tech.

There is no plan to end downloadable software. Cloud based access is a complement, not a replacement.

-- Bob

This is comforting!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:48 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Logos Now just gives us early access to the features which will be available for ownership at a later time with a new version.

That's not exactly what Phil said. He said it is "likely that some" of the Now features may make it into the desktop version, but nothing has been decided.

Posts 1929
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:54 PM

Bob Pritchett:

There is no plan to end downloadable software. Cloud based access is a complement, not a replacement.

-- Bob

Thanks Bob for this clarification.  And please continue to make this clear, because it is a huge concern for some of us who travel and are in places where we cannot have access to internet.  Language such as "for the foreseeable future" is not comfort language.  What you wrote is. I am happy to see the development of cloud based Faithlife.  Very happy.  But the program in some kind of form must be useable offline to be worth my continued investment. 

Posts 638
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:59 PM
I for one, have no plans to subscribe. After spending thousands of dollars with Logos and upgrading my base package multiple times now Logos wants a monthly fee to have the latest without ownership. What attracted me to Logos was ownership of resources combined with powerful software for Bible study.  I'm not happy with the direction that Logos is going as a company. They have been successful as a company serving a target market of consumers who value ownership. Why don't they spin off a new company that goes after renters who don't value ownership?

Posts 3655
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 2:59 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Floyd Johnson:
I am reminded of a line from the musical "Damn Yankees":

I think you've got it wrong. It's "What the users want, the users get." :-)

You may be right, but I do not see users clamoring for this feature.  I see them acquiescing to its use because it is the only way to have access the some of the new features - both now and in the future.  Maybe permanently - given some of the ambiguous statements being made by you and your staff.  Some of the new features may be ported over to the installed based - but it sure sounds like you reserve the right to make some of these features ONLY available via subscription.  

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1801
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:10 PM

James Taylor:

Phil Gons:
It's our hope that we'll be delivering such great value with Logos Now that you'll all carve out $8.99/mo. to subscribe to it indefinitely.

Is it safe to assume at least one new thing per month? (Primarily referring to features, not just specials sales or web app access)

We're moving to a six-week release cycle. Some releases will be bigger than others, but you should see multiple updates and additions with each release. It's not likely that each release will include a major new feature like Concordance. Those will be less frequent. Instead, you'll probably see us roll out these features in phases. So 6.3 will add some additional functionality to Concordance, and 6.4 more, etc. Smaller features like guide sections, etc. will be more frequent.

We also hope to release a new interactive fairly regularly.

Unfinished datasets will get regular updates as well. For example, the OT Propositional Bible Outlines will get a steady stream of updates until it's complete. We're not sure if those updates will line up with releases yet or not.

Media collections will also continue to grow, though that growth may be more organic and frequent and not necessarily line up with new releases every six weeks.

We're still figuring out the details, but we're highly motivated to earn and keep your business. So adding sufficient new value with each release—while allowing for some variation—is a top priority for us.

Posts 3646
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:14 PM

Phil Gons:
So 6.3

I think that Phil is declaring himself here.

Posts 276
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:15 PM

I do not know how I feel this either.

It seems like Logos is moving toward a model of asking us to be "Renters" of at least some material.

My undergraduate degree is in Accounting and I know it is better to "own" than to "rent" and that there is a difference between simply "renting" on a month by month basis and a "lease to own option." Renting is done for several reasons, but if one has the financial means it is almost always the inferior option.

Posts 1801
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:15 PM

Russ White:

Phil Gons:
It’s access to the future of Logos Bible Software, today.

And yet -- there is the promise that updates to the base packages will continue. So -- I'm a little confused. Is a web based app the future of logos, or... ?? If it is, then I'll stop investing now, and start working on building a library elsewhere.

Russ

It's both. We're committed to the desktop apps as a platform, but also preparing for the future with a more robust web app—and speeding up our investment into our mobile apps. We want to offer an awesome Bible study experience to everyone regardless of their preferred platform. So web and mobile have a lot of catching up to do, but desktop is still very important.

Logos Now is more about data, media, and interactive content than anything else. The goal is for it to be platform agnostic.

Posts 10030
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:16 PM

So far, rent the koolaid, or buy the koolaid. (It's getting hot down here; koolaid's still tasty.)

Now, Phil did say 'some' leaky koolaid might find its way into the software.  And Bob said nothing's changed ... rent the koolaid or buy the koolaid (later).

How will Lola sing the next verse?

Posts 1801
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:17 PM

Kenneth Neighoff:

I noticed that some of the data sets have a price tag, can you buy just a data set, like the Greek grammatical construction? And the one for the law?

Not at this point. They may be available in a future base package.

Posts 634
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:21 PM

So is Logos Now just a subscription based beta testing program? It seems that it's an avenue to have early access to new features. In regard to the Logos Web App, is this a replacement for biblia.com or geared to be biblia.com on steroids?

Logos Now could generate some solid response depending on the path it takes, though I doubt I'd jump in as others have observed, with my current investment not sure I'd get the value from it.

Posts 1929
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:23 PM

Phil Gons:
The goal is for it to be platform agnostic.

Which means it would work on Linux?

Posts 823
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:23 PM

Phil Gons:
We'd like to offer annual billing eventually, which would be $89.99.

This would help those of us not in the US: I have to pay a transaction fee every time I buy anything from Logos, so this would save me the transaction fee every month. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 476
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:27 PM

ok so 2 questions.

1) when will the yearly fee be avail? 

2) its still not clear will all of Logos Now be in L7??  So if we wait till L7 we get the goods or will there be Logos Now stuff ONLY??  and L7 only???

/confused.

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:39 PM

Phil Gons:

We're still figuring out the details, but we're highly motivated to earn and keep your business. So adding sufficient new value with each release—while allowing for some variation—is a top priority for us.

Why launch this now given there are some many unanswered questions? Launching a new product but saying "we're still figuring out details" seems like an odd way to announce something new.

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:46 PM

Hop on board, play in the sandpit for free, and cancel it you don't like the sand texture before you have to pay. :) That's what I would do.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 638
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:51 PM

A required monthly fee to have the latest robust software from Logos may backfire and alienate many. Did Logos actually think long and hard about this new change in policy? I'm glad my hope is on Jesus Christ and not on a company :)

Posts 1929
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:52 PM

Lynden Williams:

Hop on board, play in the sandpit for free, and cancel it you don't like the sand texture before you have to pay. :) That's what I would do.

Or wait until the dust settles and then start your one month free subscription to see if you like it and want to continue.  That's what I would do. No need to rush into something that is unclear.  I have been with Logos long enough to know they have difficulties when announcing a major change...

Posts 26102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 3:53 PM

Into Grace:

Why don't they spin off a new company that goes after renters who don't value ownership?

Should Microsoft have spun off a new company for MSOffice because they were an operating system firm? I expect to primarily maintain my ownership model but would be terrified of Logos disappearing entirely if I weren't seeing it reach out to my grandson's generation by putting at his fingertips what they put at mine.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 4 of 15 (298 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS