Page 5 of 15 (298 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
This post has 297 Replies | 18 Followers

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:00 PM

I'm in!!! Love the additional Visual Copy templates. Looking forward to exploring the other additional features...

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:01 PM

MJ. Smith:
Should Microsoft have spun off a new company for MSOffice because they were an operating system firm? I expect to primarily maintain my ownership model but would be terrified of Logos disappearing entirely if I weren't seeing it reach out to my grandson's generation by putting at his fingertips what they put at mine.

YesYes

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 26277
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:03 PM

Mark Johnson:

Renting is done for several reasons, but if one has the financial means it is almost always the inferior option.

Have you seen any of the recent studies on buying vs. renting your college textbook? It seems to me that a balance between owning and renting makes the most financial sense. Rapidly updated electronic textbooks compared to rarely updated physical print distinctly changed the equation - and made textbooks possible for many of my classes where we had extremely limited printed resources available. In one class had we been pre-copy machine I would have been reduced to language class with no available dictionary - period. As opposed to another class where I could get a dictionary (very expensive) that was bilingual - Old Turkic to German ... to bad I speak English.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1811
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:14 PM

Frank Sauer:
So is Logos Now just a subscription based beta testing program? It seems that it's an avenue to have early access to new features.

No. Early access to new features is just part of the value of a Now subscription. Access to new dataset, media, and interactive content is the core of the subscription for now.

Frank Sauer:
In regard to the Logos Web App, is this a replacement for biblia.com or geared to be biblia.com on steroids?

It's not a replacement. The Logos web app is for serious Bible study on the web. Biblia.com is for quick access to the Bible.

Posts 9079
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:16 PM

Into Grace:
A required monthly fee to have the latest robust software from Logos may backfire and alienate many.

The alternative is 'wait 2-3 years for the next major release of the software' to have the most robust software. There wasn't another option as far as I know.

What I see is Faithlife offering to let us get early use of tools and data sets as they are developed. They benefit by having a more level income stream that helps them keep developing tools and data, and users get the benefit of not waiting 2-3 years to use it. It remains to be seen if users will see the value and want to part with the money to get the benefit offered for their side of the transaction.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1811
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:16 PM

Mark:

Phil Gons:
The goal is for it to be platform agnostic.

Which means it would work on Linux?

Via the Logos web app, yes. There are no plans to build a Linux desktop app. We see the web app being the solution for Linux folks, Chromebook users, people with older computers or insufficient disk space, and, of course, those who don't want to mess with desktop software, downloads, indexing, etc.

Posts 1811
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:17 PM

GregW:

Phil Gons:
We'd like to offer annual billing eventually, which would be $89.99.

This would help those of us not in the US: I have to pay a transaction fee every time I buy anything from Logos, so this would save me the transaction fee every month. 

Good to know. Thanks, Greg.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:20 PM

Phil Gons:

Mark:

Phil Gons:

Via the Logos web app, yes. There are no plans to build a Linux desktop app. We see the web app being the solution for Linux folks, Chromebook users, people with older computers or insufficient disk space, and, of course, those who don't want to mess with desktop software, downloads, indexing, etc.

Will you offer a ChromeBook "app" bookmark that goes to the Logos Web App similar to what you're doing for Biblia? That'd be handy for ChromeBook users.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 1937
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:20 PM

Phil Gons:
Phil Gons:
We'd like to offer annual billing eventually, which would be $89.99.

I would agree with Greg even being in the States.  I would prefer to pay an annual or even Bi-annual subscription if such options eventually are available. 

Posts 1811
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:22 PM

Travis Walter:

1) when will the yearly fee be avail? 

Not sure. It's on our list, but there are a few technical challenges we need to solve (e.g., allowing a one-month free trial with annual billing).

Travis Walter:

2) its still not clear will all of Logos Now be in L7??  So if we wait till L7 we get the goods or will there be Logos Now stuff ONLY??  and L7 only???

Logos Now is a service, and some of the service components don't lend themselves to inclusion in a base package very well (e.g., membership benefits such as special deals). Also, some of the ever-expanding content might be reserved for Now as well. It's likely that most of the static content will eventually be available in future base packages.

Posts 1393
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:22 PM

Phil Gons:
We're moving to a six-week release cycle. Some releases will be bigger than others, but you should see multiple updates and additions with each release.

Thanks Phil, this is exciting.

May the Lord continue to bless you all with creativity and wisdom to implement these excellent ideas, and all that you need to further equip the body of Christ with tools to gain all that we possibly can from the Scripture.

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 476
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:26 PM

I think if there was a way to say, x% or even 100% Stick out tongue of your sub fees will be credited to coupons or discounts to the new base packages, then its just a funding stream to L earlier and I think a lot of users would do that..   But right now aside from being in the microwave society when we all want our cake NOW vs 2 years.  Still looking at the value.

I guess I want to know what discounts/specials are on the table. 

And yes yearly is much better..

Posts 1393
James Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:30 PM

Travis Walter:
x% or even 100% Stick out tongue of your sub fees will be credited to coupons or discounts to the new base packages

I like the sound of that Yes

Logos 8  | Dell Inspiron 7373 | Windows 10 Pro 64, i7, 16GB, SSD | iPhone X | iMac 27" i7, 16GB, SSD | OS 10.13

Posts 1811
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:36 PM

JH:

Phil Gons:

We're still figuring out the details, but we're highly motivated to earn and keep your business. So adding sufficient new value with each release—while allowing for some variation—is a top priority for us.

Why launch this now given there are some many unanswered questions? Launching a new product but saying "we're still figuring out details" seems like an odd way to announce something new.

We think we have enough of the details sorted out to launch it. The things we don't have figure out yet are about the future, and we like keep our options open until we have enough information to be sure we're making the right call.

Posts 1811
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:41 PM

Into Grace:
A required monthly fee to have the latest robust software from Logos may backfire and alienate many.

There is no required fee to get the latest updates. Those will continue to ship for free without a Now subscription.

Here's how I explained the difference earlier:

Logos 6 users will continue to receive free updates to their software: bug fixes, performance enhancements, improvements to existing features, and updates to their resources, datasets, media collections, and interactives. Logos Now subscribers, in addition to these things, will receive access to a variety of new categories of ever-growing content—datasets, media collections, and interactives—as well as early access to new features. Now subscribers will also receive ​access to the brand new Logos web app and will enjoy other membership benefits such as exclusive offers, special discounts, and more.

Into Grace:
Did Logos actually think long and hard about this new change in policy?

We don't see this as a change in policy. This something new that comes alongside what we've done in the past in terms of free updates. In the past, new content and new features would be held for the next version of the software. With Now, we're getting them into your hands much more quickly.

Into Grace:
I'm glad my hope is on Jesus Christ and not on a company :)

As it should be!

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:44 PM

Phil Gons:

What is Logos Now?

1. It’s a subscription-based service.
  2. It’s content and tools for serious Bible study.
  3. It builds on top of Logos 6.
  4. It’s continually growing and getting regular updates.
  5. It’s access to the future of Logos Bible Software, today.
  6. It's a membership program.

What do you get with Logos Now?

1. A growing library of data, media, and interactive content.
  2. Early access to new features and tools.
  3. Access to the beta of the new Logos web app.
  4. Special membership benefits such as exclusive offers, special discounts, and more.

What does the first release include?

1. Old Testament Propositional Bible Outlines (dataset)
  2. Greek Grammatical Constructions (dataset)
  3. Commandments of the Law (interactive)
  4. Visual Copy Templates (media)
  5. Author Slide Templates (media)
  6. Logos Stock Images, vol. 2 (media)
  7. Media Browser (tool)
  8. Concordance (tool)
  9. Access to the beta of the Logos web app
  10. Membership benefits (e.g., exclusive offers, special discounts)

We'll continue to add more value to it over time. More details forthcoming.

For which books of the OT have the Propositional Bible Outlines been completed? Is there a timeline for the remainder?

Posts 1811
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:45 PM

Nathan Parker:

Phil Gons:

Mark:

Phil Gons:

Will you offer a ChromeBook "app" bookmark that goes to the Logos Web App similar to what you're doing for Biblia? That'd be handy for ChromeBook users.

Yes. There should be an app in the Chrome web store soon.

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:48 PM

JH:
For which books of the OT have the Propositional Bible Outlines been completed?

Genesis through Numbers.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:50 PM

Mark:
Language such as "for the foreseeable future" is not comfort language.

When we released Logos Bible Software 1.0 twenty-three years ago, most people had never heard of the Internet or used email, the Euro currency was still a decade away, and few people had cell-phones. The iPad is only five years old; the iPhone less than eight.

Lord willing, we plan to be here, serving you, twenty-three years from now. So I try not to make 'forever' promises, because I have no idea if downloading software will even be possible, let alone desirable, in twenty-three years. You might be doing your Bible study during your commute in your fully-automated flying car, and it might only support cloud-based access. That's why I say 'foreseeable'. :-)

Posts 640
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 6 2015 4:57 PM

Phil Gons:

Into Grace:

There is no required fee to get the latest updates. Those will continue to ship for free without a Now subscription.

Here's how I explained the difference earlier:

Logos 6 users will continue to receive free updates to their software: bug fixes, performance enhancements, improvements to existing features, and updates to their resources, datasets, media collections, and interactives. Logos Now subscribers, in addition to these things, will receive access to a variety of new categories of ever-growing content—datasets, media collections, and interactives—as well as early access to new features. Now subscribers will also receive ​access to the brand new Logos web app and will enjoy other membership benefits such as exclusive offers, special discounts, and more.

Into Grace:
Did Logos actually think long and hard about this new change in policy?

We don't see this as a change in policy. This something new that comes alongside what we've done in the past in terms of free updates. In the past, new content and new features would be held for the next version of the software. With Now, we're getting them into your hands much more quickly.

Into Grace:
I'm glad my hope is on Jesus Christ and not on a company :)

As it should be!

Thanks Phil and Logos for allowing me to voice free speech on this forum. I wish Logos success.

Page 5 of 15 (298 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS