My take on Logos Now

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 2822
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 8 2015 1:25 PM

I am sure that it is a good product and good value.  It will be a great deal for many people.

But for now I am not interested.  I do not use all the features of Logos 6, and see no need to spend additional money for more features.

What I want from Logos is my Bibles, my lexicons and language tools, my commentaries, and a good theological library including historical resources such as the Church Fathers, Wesley's Works, Luther.  I want books, books, books. 

I want these resources tagged so that they work together intuitively.  I want to be able to do a concordance search on every resource.

I will interpret my own prepositions, thank you.  That is not an exact science and some interpretation is involved.  Call me old fashioned, but I had rather read what a good commentary by Moo or Oswalt thinks about the interpretation of a preposition than some data base.

So I am simple in my wants in Bible software, and how I use Logos.  In 25 years of buying books from Logos, I have never lost a purchased resource, or had one wear out.  I cannot say that for my paper books.  So I feel quite good about continuing to buy my theological books from Logos.

I may change my mind as time goes on.  There are rare occasions when I do.  But for now, I will stick with the old fashioned Logos 6 that I have, and add some more books, books, books.

For me it is mostly about the books.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2993
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 1:41 PM

Good thoughts.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 777
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 2:05 PM

Michael Childs:

For me it is mostly about the books.

Michael has said fairly succinctly what I've been trying to convey several times in various posts. Most of the more advanced tagging features require judgments, and I kind of like my judgments best of all. Furthermore, these nice tools are great for someone who needs a little Greek/Hebrew boost every now and then (or always; and that's fine), or who has skills in Logos far beyond what I'll ever have, or whose methods take them into areas that Logos particularly treats well. I think they're fun, but they haven't added much to my research.

I'm happy with what I've got, and I'm very happy with my library.

Having said that, I'm still intrigued by the possibility of "special offers" for Logos Now folks. So it basically comes down to this: Will these special offers alone be enough, mathematically, to make the investment of a hundred bucks a year+ worthwhile. I'm still trying to decide.

Posts 650
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 2:37 PM

Michael Childs:
For me it is mostly about the books

That's where I am too Michael, that and a simple search function..  I really don't need the ability to find out how many times the word 'to' occurs within 3 words of 'the' in books written between 1905 and 1955 by authors whose name starts with 'W' who aren't members of a particular denomination.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 3655
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 2:39 PM

I have three concerns with the current status of LOGOS/FaithLife:

1. The aging of the software means that many of us who purchased our original libraries ages ago, did so relatively cheaply.  But with the increased number of resources there are fewer ways for new users to break into the LOGOS world in a cost effective way.  Renting may be a way to provide access to an increasing number of books in a cost effective way for new users.
  2. My second concern is that most LOGOS users only make small purchases, limiting the cash flow and the total income to support further development. Renting may also allow more LOGOS users afford access to larger libraries.  
  3. I am also concerned about the role that MVPs are playing in the support of the software.  They too are aging - some are choosing to participate less, some are dropping out, and a few have passed away over the last few years.  I see few new names being added to the list of MVPs. This may be the function of most LOGOS users making relatively small purchases.  I would hope that LOGOS will be adding new MVPs as time progresses.

I am glad that LOGOS is, for the foreseeable future, committing itself to supporting those of us who own libraries.  I wonder if that number will decline as new users climb onto the rental program and others of us move past active Bible Study (for whatever reason).  This will be extended for a few years when current users pass on their LOGOS libraries to younger users - but LOGOS needs to find a way to maintain a current income stream if it is to continue to exist in its current form.  

Of course, if another company purchases LOGOS (e.g. Zondervan or Moody), all the rules may change.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1771
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 2:40 PM

Michael Childs:
For me it is mostly about the books

Yes Big Smile

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 777
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 2:54 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Of course, if another company purchases LOGOS (e.g. Zondervan ....)

Noooooo! Smile

Posts 3655
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 2:57 PM

Lew Worthington:

Floyd Johnson:

Of course, if another company purchases LOGOS (e.g. Zondervan ....)

Noooooo! Smile

But, as for the rent/own option, we as users will have little to say about that future either.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 2:59 PM

I'm definitely with the OP. I'm sure there's some value to the new tools, but I'm still behind the curve of what I already own. I used to dream about the capabilities I have at my fingertips today.

If this pushes new features into Logos, I'm all for it. I still have a full plate for now.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 8848
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 3:39 PM

Floyd Johnson:

• I am also concerned about the role that MVPs are playing in the support of the software.  They too are aging...

Isn't everyone aging? Confused Is there another option? Wink

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 3:56 PM

Floyd Johnson:
I am also concerned about the role that MVPs are playing in the support of the software.  They too are aging

What are you talking about Floyd? I am only 26! Big Smile In my dreams....

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 589
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 4:26 PM

Lew Worthington:
I'm still intrigued by the possibility of "special offers" for Logos Now folks. So it basically comes down to this: Will these special offers alone be enough, mathematically, to make the investment of a hundred bucks a year+ worthwhile.

To be worthwhile, the deals would have to be significantly better than the normal monthly sales discount, in order to "recoup" the $89 membership. Maybe deep discount deals could be offered with the copyright-free, community-pricing resources Logos has created over the years.

Posts 476
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 4:29 PM

I'm waiting for 2 things..

1) the yearly sub (and then i'm still on the fence-- but I dont do month subs, ick)

2) the announcement of the "special offers"  honestly if Logos just says you get 100% of your investment back in discounts on the next base package, I'm sure a lot of people would jump on board.  In if this is a revenue stream for Logos, as the saying goes, "A bird in hand, is better than two in the bush".  

Posts 290
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 4:39 PM

Ted Weis:

Lew Worthington:
I'm still intrigued by the possibility of "special offers" for Logos Now folks. So it basically comes down to this: Will these special offers alone be enough, mathematically, to make the investment of a hundred bucks a year+ worthwhile.

To be worthwhile, the deals would have to be significantly better than the normal monthly sales discount, in order to "recoup" the $89 membership. Maybe deep discount deals could be offered with the copyright-free, community-pricing resources Logos has created over the years.

The monthly Logos Now fee reminds me of the various "warehouse clubs" that I once participated in where you paid an annual fee to get access to the store and the discounts.  You wound up buying a large bags or boxes of grocery items and thought, "wow, I am saving a lot of money by getting this stuff cheap".  You would end buying stuff you didn't need, some went to waste and at the end of the year if you looked at the purchasing you probably didn't recoup the annual fee.

Works for some but not all.

Posts 3655
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 4:42 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Floyd Johnson:

• I am also concerned about the role that MVPs are playing in the support of the software.  They too are aging...

Isn't everyone aging? Confused Is there another option? Wink

But I hope that LOGOS is looking for new blood to replace those that are leaving the ranks.  Those of you who have volunteered five or ten years ago cannot be expected to carry on the work forever.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 3655
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 4:42 PM

Lynden Williams:

Floyd Johnson:
I am also concerned about the role that MVPs are playing in the support of the software.  They too are aging

What are you talking about Floyd? I am only 26! Big Smile In my dreams....

I thought you were all 39?

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 4:58 PM

Ted Weis:
Maybe deep discount deals could be offered with the copyright-free, community-pricing resources Logos has created over the years.

That is an idea I really like.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2033
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 5:44 PM

Bucks for Books

I don't really want to buy more gadgets, more stuff that bloats Logos and slows it even more.   However, I would be willing to divvy up bucks for books and a snappier interface.  

Posts 321
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 5:59 PM

I find that all I want is less bells, whistles, gadgets, pretty pictures, whizz bang thing-a-magigs, and endless "opportunities" for great deals on 100 year old public domain works.  I still wait on Paul Tillich's work to be added (if not recently) since he was a foundational figure in 20th century theology.  So what do I want...really...less fluff with predigested conclusions and just a basic tool to let me do exegetical work the way I learned it in seminary...and inexpensive magazine bundles.  It's great software just need less of more.

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 7:58 PM

I find myself agreeing with most in this thread, who are agreeing with the OP. I like searchable books. Lots of them. I too have put virtually all my library dollars into Logos for the past decade plus and I find this program an incredible tool for doing research for Bible studies and preaching sermons. I would not want to be without it as I've really learned to depend on it and I love using it. But I know I don't use even half of the tools I already have. I've been to several workshops, and I just can't seem to stay current on all the program can do and I can't seem to make the time to study it continually to keep current. I think Logos now might be great for some, but it's looking more like a pass to me for now at least.

Windows PC - Android Phone - Surface Pro 4

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS