My take on Logos Now

Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 286
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 8 2015 8:09 PM

I don't know if this changes anything for you, Michael, but it's propositional outlines, not prepositions!

https://www.logos.com/product/51517/old-testament-propositional-bible-outlines-dataset

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2015 12:51 AM

I haven't upgraded to L6 yet. I started with L3 Scholars Library and moved up to L4 Platinum (with a bunch of added resources and collections) and then eventually upgraded to Biblical Languages L5. Since then my purchases have dropped considerably. I didn't even buy anything for March Madness (partly because I have become sick of it).

At this point, the only reason I would ever upgrade again is for the discount on resources that it comes with. I am happy with the features of L5.

Posts 21700
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2015 1:13 AM

Hi Josh

Josh:
At this point, the only reason I would ever upgrade again is for the discount on resources that it comes with. I am happy with the features of L5.

Just wanted to check you are aware you can get the core L6 engine for free - https://www.logos.com/product/46767/logos-6-core-engine 

As well as some new capabilities this is where most bug fixes are going to be done - as opposed to against L5.

Graham

Posts 273
Greg F | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2015 1:55 AM

I upgraded to Verbum 6 for the discounts on the resources -- the software might have new bells and whistles (most of which I don't really use), but it's twice as slow. I would go back to the Logos 5 engine if it weren't such a hassle to downgrade..

Posts 24689
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2015 3:43 AM

Greg F:
I upgraded to Verbum 6 for the discounts on the resources -- the software might have new bells and whistles (most of which I don't really use), but it's twice as slow.

I find Logos 6.2 is an improvement over v6.1 and close to Logos 5's speed when starting. In some cases the formatting of results from Basic Search is slow and FL are aware of this. MVP's have suggested a couple of areas where startup can be further improved, so please don't feel you are being trapped into a perennially slower system.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2015 7:40 AM

Michael Childs:
I want these resources tagged so that they work together intuitively.

Yes +1

This comment inspired this thought: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/103431.aspx

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2015 2:32 PM

Floyd Johnson:
Of course, if another company purchases LOGOS (e.g. Zondervan or Moody), all the rules may change.

I know this was said in a light spirit, so I'll reply in kind: "Not gonna happen." 

IMHO Faithlife is doing quite well, and is positioning themselves as a company more likely to buy than to be bought.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 6216
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2015 3:19 PM

Mathew Voth:

I don't know if this changes anything for you, Michael, but it's propositional outlines, not prepositions!

https://www.logos.com/product/51517/old-testament-propositional-bible-outlines-dataset

I could have sworn I saw a 39.99 price tag on those Old Testament propositional outlines this morning when I clicked on the link.

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2015 5:59 PM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Josh

Josh:

Just wanted to check you are aware you can get the core L6 engine for free - https://www.logos.com/product/46767/logos-6-core-engine 

As well as some new capabilities this is where most bug fixes are going to be done - as opposed to against L5.

Graham

Yes, I am aware. I guess you can say I live by the old idiom: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". :)

Posts 2821
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2015 6:37 PM

Mathew Voth:

That is a big laugh on me.  I can't believe I misread it, which just shows how interested I am in all these new features.  But no, it would not change anything for me.

I do the old fashioned inductive Bible Study with Logos.  That is the inductive Bible study I learned from the god-father of inductive Bible study, Robert Traina.  And I do old fashioned exegesis that I learned from Bob Lyons.  I just integrate Logos into what I have always done.  I have no intention of learning to do it another way.  Works for me.  I am not saying my way is for everyone.  It just works for me.

I cannot imagine a new feature that I want.  But books?  I want millions of them.

Faster searches, I'd be interested in.  A better library manager, too.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2219
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 9 2015 8:59 PM

My resistance to technology wore out long ago. I just need an incentive that's long-term focused.  

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1382
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 10 2015 3:49 AM

DAL:

Mathew Voth:

I could have sworn I saw a 39.99 price tag on those Old Testament propositional outlines this morning when I clicked on the link. 

I did see that price tag I would like to have it back with an option to buy it right away.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 10 2015 4:26 AM

Michael Childs:
I cannot imagine a new feature that I want.  But books?  I want millions of them.

Yeah, that's me too.  And journals :) :)

Posts 89
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 10 2015 4:57 PM

I don't like the Logos now idea in that it's a 2 tiered system.

I would prefer that you could buy or rent any resource.

Posts 927
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 6:15 PM

I realize that this is a six-month-old thread, but I've been busily trying to understand what Logos Now is about and have read a lot of past threads today about it. I didn't pay much attention to previous email announcements and dismissed it because I confused it with Logos Cloud.

However, I am wondering if anyone who had doubts about Logos Now has changed his or her mind. My initial reaction is summed up by several who have said that they didn't use a good bit that is available in their Logos 6 base package. I love technology, probably too much, so I need to be convinced to pay additionally for an annual subscription.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 80
EX | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 7:09 PM

Doesn't High Definition NT and OT include propositional outline? Please correct me if I am wrong. It feels like I am paying twice...

PCA Church
L4 Platinum, L5 Reformed Platinum, L6 Reformed Diamond, Reformed Studies XL, Platinum, Logos Now

Posts 26102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 7:20 PM

Bill, I'm not going to directly answer your question but I am going to put my foot in my mouth by raising an embarrassing question. Why do Logos users want to simply do Bible study as they always have rather than taking advantage of tools that allow them to answer questions that without technology they could only ask ... not answer? I find that several steps in some popular Bible study methods are primarily "busy work" i.e. stuff that takes time but doesn't extend one's understanding. Often these are analogous to steps we learned in Language Arts in 4-7 grades and then set aside as the knowledge gained became "automatic".

My personal prejudice in Bible study leans towards intertextuality and intratextuality ... think of an interest in Judaic interpretation, reception criticism, liturgical theology ... as such I find tools such as the Synopsis of Samuel, Kings, and Chronicles; Parallel Gospel Reader;Corresponding Words visual filter,  sections such as Ancient Literature ... and the Concordance especially if it supported n-grams ... allow me to go places with my study that I would not be able to without the Logos tools.

Yes I don't

Bill Moore:
use a good bit that is available in their Logos 6 base package
because it does not help me (a) perform the tasks I need to perform (b) add to my understanding of the passage in ways that I am not already getting by other means or (c) I haven't bothered to figure out what they supposedly offer that I'm not getting through other Logos tools. But that has nothing to do with whether or not tools currently being created are or are not of use to me.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26102
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 28 2015 11:09 PM

FOB:
Doesn't High Definition NT and OT include propositional outline? Please correct me if I am wrong. It feels like I am paying twice...

No, they are both rooted in discourse analysis. And some of the additional information provided by the Propositional Outline is coded in the icons within the High Definition Text.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 235
C M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2015 2:16 AM

TCBlack:
IMHO Faithlife is doing quite well, and is positioning themselves as a company more likely to buy than to be bought.

Is this more wishful thinking, fact, or opinion? If you're not a FL administrator, your view is as good as a thousand leaves.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 29 2015 6:47 AM

Floyd Johnson:

1. My second concern is that most LOGOS users only make small purchases, limiting the cash flow and the total income to support further development. Renting may also allow more LOGOS users afford access to larger libraries. 

I have spent a little over 20,000$ since 2011.

I'm not sure that counts as small.

Just be wary of projecting your own purchasing pattern as the status quo.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS