Reinstall Logos 4 on an External Hard Drive

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 94
Rob | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 24 2010 6:58 AM

I have Logos 4 installed on my Netbook (consuming almost the whole hard drive)  (Windows XP)

I just bought an external harddrive and would like to uninstall Logos from my netbook and install it to the external hard drive

How do I do this? (I know this has got to be in the forum, but after looking at related questions, I haven't found the answer)

Notes:

1. I am thinking I can just uninstall Logos 4, then run Logos4Setup.exe and reinstall. However, I already downloaded all the resources and don't want to have the program automatically do it again.

2. I don't know where to get a copy of Logos4Setup.exe (It doesn't seem to be on the Tech Support page at Logos.com

3. I don't know how to get the program to allow me to give it my existing resources, before it starts downloading again.

4. Is there a way to transfer my existing Index file, or do I need to go through that painful process again?

Thank you for your help with these, and any other questions I may not even know to ask as I try to reinstall L4 to my external drive and remove it from the internal hard drive.

Rob

www.3rdcultureliving.com - Simple Abundant Legacy

Posts 18821
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 7:11 AM

There is no way to have Logos 4 look in a different folder for its resources, however in Vista and Windows 7 you can accomplish this using symbolic links. Jon Rumble explains how to do it here. But I see you've still got XP so that won't help you. I don't think you can make any use of the external drive for Logos resources in XP. Best you could do would be to offload some of the other stuff that's taking up room on your hard disk.

Would you be willing to consider upgrading your OS? Might require upgrading to a new computer if your current one doesn't have the power/space to install and run Win 7.

So the answer to your questions #1, 3, 4 is you're out of luck for now. Unless someone knows something I don't know and can pipe in here.

Answer to #2 (though it's moot): Logos4Setup.exe is on http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/LDLS4Installer/Logos4Setup.exe.

Posts 23
Jim Poulsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 7:14 AM

I'm on the verge of upgrading Vista to Windows 7. Does that mean I will be able to store the resources on an external hard drive using Win 7?

Posts 94
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 7:22 AM

I had heard at some point that the whole program can be installed to an external drive (not putting the program on one drive and the resources on another). The program and the resources, etc. would all be on the same drive.

Am I mistaken in this understanding?

www.3rdcultureliving.com - Simple Abundant Legacy

Posts 2245
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 7:29 AM

Hi Rob,

I think if you do not remove the resource directory from your netbook, you can then install the program on the external drive and then once the resources begin to download, cancel the download and type scan:location of resources on netbook... not that but the actual location of the resources on the netbook. Close and restart L4. The program should then get your resources off the netbook. Once that is completed you can delete the resources from your netbook.

Check the wiki for specifics as to locating your resources ectc.

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 8:12 AM

Rob,

When you go to the Logos site and install Logos 4, it first downloads Logos4Setup.exe.  I saved that file for myself in case I need it in the future.  I am pretty sure that, if you first uninstall Logos 4 and go to the Logos site, you will get that program again.  This time save it for future use.

Before you uninstall Logos 4, copy the entire Logos 4 directory to e:\documents and settings\administrator\local settings\application data.   This is for Windows XP SP3.

Then uninstall Logos 4 from your "C" drive using "Add/Remove" programs from "Control Panel."  Then reboot.  Then delete the Logos 4 directory from the "C" drive.  Then use Regedit to delete all references to Logos 4 in the two software areas there.  The uninstall may have already removed them.

Then comes the big question.  Run Logos4Setup.exe and see if it allows you to install to a different drive than is typical.  I am not sure if it will allow this.  Ask others here in the Forum if that question comes up allowing you that option.  If it does allow this, than it is also possible that the installation may recognize your files already copied to the "e" drive.  Again, ask here to see if that would happen.

If no one knows, you could try this and, if it does not work, just reinstall again to your "c" drive.

Posts 232
AndyTheGreek | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 12:03 PM

I tried installing Logos4 to a different drive and it wouldn't work. So... I installed it to drive C and then copied it to the other drive and then edited the registry to point to the new drive. (Search the registry for c:\Logos4 (or whatever) and change all the paths to the new path. This worked. Although my other drive wasn't an external drive it should work for one.

However, Logos4 on any netbook is slow, sometimes horribly so. On an external drive it would be even slower... I would (and do) use Logos3 on my netbook unless there is something on Logos4 you really must have...

Andy

Posts 25271
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 2:50 PM

Rob:

1. I am thinking I can just uninstall Logos 4, then run Logos4Setup.exe and reinstall. However, I already downloaded all the resources and don't want to have the program automatically do it again.

2. I don't know where to get a copy of Logos4Setup.exe (It doesn't seem to be on the Tech Support page at Logos.com

3. I don't know how to get the program to allow me to give it my existing resources, before it starts downloading again.

4. Is there a way to transfer my existing Index file, or do I need to go through that painful process again?

I place all my installations on a data partition eg. E:\Logos4. One is on a second HDD but they are all fixed. I haven't tried a removable HDD, but you would need to perform a custom installation to that drive or to a folder on that drive. The answer to all your Q is to use Method 1 at http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers.

However, there are NO GUARANTEES, especially with a removable HDD.

Further, I share the concern that the performance of L4 will be disappointing on a removable HDD.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS