[ACK] Logos 6 questions

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 47
Sarah Blake LaRose, D........Min. | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 18 2015 7:53 PM

[Original message left in tact. Editing experiment for my own benefit.]

Iexing a lot, every time I buy something new. Is it supposed to do this? It is costing me a lot of time.

ion supposed to save? It used to.

Thanks.

Sarah Blake LaRose

http://www.night-light.org

Lenovo Thinkpad, 8GB RAM, 1.50GB quad core processor, Win 7, Logos 6

Posts 28286
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2015 7:57 PM

Yes, every time you purchase a new resource or write a note or ... Logos indexes. That is necessary for the search to work and has not changed in many years -- although the indexing routines has been improved over time.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking about saving. Saving is automatic and has been since at least L4 was released. No recent changes that I'm aware of.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 47

Oh my! My post! Let's try that again! I am running Logos 6 core engine. It is indexing a lot, after I buy and download anything new. Also, I have to set accessibility to yes every time I start the program. Isn't this option supposed to save?

Thanks. If there is a way to edit posts, I would like to know. The above is rather embarrassing.

Sarah Blake LaRose

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2015 8:03 PM

Sarah Blake LaRose:
Also, I have to set accessibility to yes every time I start the program. Isn't this option supposed to save?

It should save. Are you exiting Logos normally or just turning off your computer? If Logos crashes or is forced to close prematurely, i.e., if it doesn't get a chance to shut down normally it likely will not save settings like that.

If you are closing Logos normally and it still isn't saving that setting, then I'd consider it a bug.

Sarah Blake LaRose:
If there is a way to edit posts, I would like to know.

Yes, you can edit your posts if you do it within a certain time window (I think it's 10 hours) after posting. Click the "More" button next to the post and then choose "Edit" from the drop-down menu

Posts 47

Thanks for the help. I am closing Logos normally and running as administrator. Someone should probably investigate this. I upgraded to Logos 6 from Logos 4 so cannot speak to whether this happened in Logos 5. My current machine is a fresh install of Logos 6, but this has happened on both machines on which I had the core engine installed.

Sarah Blake LaRose

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2015 8:52 PM

OK, it looks like someone from Faithlife needs to investigate this. Sounds like a bug to me.

Could you clarify one thing, though? You said "I have to set accessibility to yes every time I start the program." But there is no yes/no option under Accessibility. Which setting did you mean wasn't being saved?

Posts 47

In order to get a screen reader to interact with the interface at all, you have to type in the command line "set accessibility to yes". Otherwise the screen reader (in my case JAWS) treats the interface as a totally blank window. I have gone in and changed the other "accessibility" settings and they are saved, but the set accessibility to yes thing is not saving.

Sarah Blake LaRose

Posts 47

I think part of my indexing problem may have been that I conducted a search that was too broad and crashed Logos at the same time that it was indexing. Rebuilding the index seems to be going ok. The accessibility problem remains.

Sarah Blake LaRose

Posts 28286
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2015 9:09 PM

Logos is not intended to be run in administrator accounts so that my cause some oddities. There are a number of people experiencing index failures and reindexing but we would need logs to identify that as a problem. What screen reader are you using? There may be a compatibility issue that Faithlife needs to check on.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2015 9:36 PM

Sarah Blake LaRose:
I have gone in and changed the other "accessibility" settings and they are saved, but the set accessibility to yes thing is not saving.

Ah, I see now. I wasn't aware of that accessibility setting, since it is not represented in the UI. But if you set update channel to default (or beta) (another command that has no UI equivalent), that gets saved. So it seems like a bug that set accessibility to yes is not saved.

Faithlife, could someone weigh in on this and open a bug case for it if it hasn't already been reported?

Posts 3683
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 19 2015 7:19 AM

Sarah Blake LaRose:
...you have to type in the command line "set accessibility to yes".

To help with often used stuff that has to be typed into the command box, you might consider this alternative as a fast workaround.
The next time you have to type in the command:

1. Type the command as normal, but do not press the enter key.
  2. When Logos finds the command & proposes it back to you, left-click-hold & drag the command to the command area of your menu bar (left of the Layouts menu button & Sync indicator, at upper right of main window).
  3. Once Logos puts it in the command area, right click on it & edit the menu label to text of your choice & choose an icon, if desired.

From now on, instead of having to type anything in, just click the new button. I find this especially helpful with program scaling, & have several presets that I use regularly (e.g., 100% when using laptop screen, 110% or 120% when using  projector, 90% when using monitor in lieu of laptop screen).

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 47

This sounds like a great solution, but since the Logos UI is barely compatible with JAWS I cannot actually do it. Dragging and dropping anything to another area of the screen would require much better access than is currently available at this time. I would be happy to work with Logos developers to achieve this, but I am not convinced it will ever become a reality.

Sarah Blake LaRose

Posts 47

I did get it to work by changing my settings to open to the last saved layout. However, if I open to the home screen the accessibility setting is unsaved. This definitely needs to be fixed so that screen reader accessibility can be configured apart from layout.

Sarah Blake LaRose

Posts 4711
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 20 2015 12:59 AM

BillS:
Sarah Blake LaRose:
...you have to type in the command line "set accessibility to yes".

BillS:
When Logos finds the command & proposes it back to you,

Bill

I am running beta 3 on a mac. When I put 'set accessibility to yes' into the command bar I don't get an option to run the command, just to search for it.

Are you getting a result or have I misunderstood?

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 20 2015 1:05 AM

Mike Binks:

I am running beta 3 on a mac. When I put 'set accessibility to yes' into the command bar I don't get an option to run the command, just to search for it.

Are you getting a result or have I misunderstood?

Mike, I think this is a Windows only thing. The wiki says the command "enables or disables UI Automation, used by screen readers to read user interface controls." I googled "UI Automation" and it appears to be a Microsoft/Windows thing:

Posts 791
LogosEmployee
Eli Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 20 2015 9:01 AM

Hello, Sarah. I checked our issue tracking database and didn't find any open issues related to the "set accessibility" setting. So it may be a new bug. I've forwarded this issue to development and we'll follow up with you soon.

Posts 3683
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 20 2015 11:26 AM

Hi Mike,

Here's a picture of what I get on the current production version (6.2.0.0027):

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 20 2015 11:04 PM

BillS:

Hi Mike,

Here's a picture of what I get on the current production version (6.2.0.0027):

Bill, that looks like the Windows version. Right? As I said above, I think this is a Windows only feature, so that would explain why Mike isn't seeing it.

Posts 4711
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2015 12:27 AM

Rosie Perera:
Bill, that looks like the Windows version. Right? As I said above, I think this is a Windows only feature, so that would explain why Mike isn't seeing it.

That makes sense - there is some sort of screen reader built into OS X – I haven't investigated it much though.

Posts 47

The built-in screen reader for Mac is called Voiceover (It also works on the IPhone.) Apps may have more or less usability with Voiceoverdepended on how the app is built, but Voiceover is turned on or off at the mac level.

Windows does not have a built-in screen reader, and in fact there are several screen reader options that people may be using.

Sarah Blake LaRose

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS