Looking for resources on Islam

Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 48 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 851
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2015 9:10 AM

This collection gives introductions and commentary on some important Islamic texts https://www.logos.com/product/49029/islamic-spirituality-collection

Manager, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2015 10:52 AM

Veli Voipio:

I think I have never seen a book about what we could learn from moslems, for example hospitality

Yes #theRightAttitude. Thank you. Better yet, befriend a Muslim.

Posts 8891
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 22 2015 7:51 AM

Classics of Western Spirituality: Judaism, Islam, and Native American Religions (27 vols.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 22 2015 11:44 AM

Having lived with Pakistanis in the western world, I can say we do have a lot to learn in some areas. 

I dearly loved the Pakistani family that I lived with, by the time I left they called me their son, and I called them mom dad. I keep in touch even though I am back in America.

I think there are constructs in any culture that are beneficial and deleterious....

Any way, Anees Zaka is the guy to read if you plan to be involved in this sort of ministry. He approaches the process from a place of equality, and then allows God to move. With proper preperation the methods can, have and are being leveraged to further the Kingdom of God.

Start with his Muslims and Christians at the Table.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 4674
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 22 2015 11:45 AM

fgh:

There are a number of titles in this I would like, but I seriously doubt I will ever see them in Logos since they are bogged down in this bulky, awkward, and expensive collection.

Posts 1663
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 22 2015 12:10 PM

Veli Voipio:
I think I have never seen a book about what we could learn from moslems, for example hospitality

This is either tongue-in-cheek, or you are excluding from your experiential universe nations where Sharia is implemented. I have nice Muslim neighbors, also, but let's not get carried away.

Win7/10 Android/Fire OS 5

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 22 2015 8:28 PM

Robert M. Warren:

Veli Voipio:

This is either tongue-in-cheek, or you are excluding from your experiential universe nations where Sharia is implemented. I have nice Muslim neighbors, also, but let's not get carried away.

They ARE indeed hospitable. Meet one on the street, strike up a conversation, and end up eating at their house that night for supper...

Thats not to say I agree with every aspect of their culture. But on that one point alone (and perhaps others), I think we as westerners can learn a thing or two.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1663
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 23 2015 4:21 AM
It would be a mistake to apply experiences with Western-dwelling Muslims, who are in the minority, and believe you are learning anything about Islam. That is extremely naive. Learning about Islam is the is subject of the OP. Go to Saudia Arabia, stand on a street corner and proclaim the Lordship of Jesus and let us know how the hospitality is going...if you can.

Win7/10 Android/Fire OS 5

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 23 2015 6:54 PM

Posts 5218
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 23 2015 8:18 PM

fgh:

Classics of Western Spirituality Bundle

Said it before and will say it again this set is the most important collection of works not in Logos and it is a serious shame it is not yet under production.

-Dan

Posts 1367
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 23 2015 11:59 PM

Robert M. Warren:
It would be a mistake

I've actually been in Saudi Arabia, as a telecom engineer, and my experience is that the people are nice. Most of them are religious, I feel they are very much like the devout Catholics in Europe and the fundamentalists in US.

Robert M. Warren:
stand on a street corner and proclaim

I try to imagine the situation, but the sunshine is so hot there that they would probably just watch curiously how long you can do it.

The point is that the people in the Middle East have preserved the hospitality that we have lost. Abraham himself in Gen 18:2-8 is a good example of extreme hospitality. Also Jesus belongs to that Middle East context - he accepted invitations for the meals by all sorts of people. Also Heb 13:2 is along the same lines, it uses the word φῐλοξενία with the meaning "loving strangers", although it is softened in most translations.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 24 2015 6:17 AM

Veil - I agree - and suspect its not something one could know without having spent time with the people groups in question.

Further I posit that it is not the religion that leads them to be hospitable but their culture. For more reading I suggest the OP do research on Hot vs Cold cultures.

Fl coastal culture is about as close as I've seen America get to a "hot" culture (though I've never been to texas or arizona, etc). Largely this country (and canada) could be described as having a cold culture.

While its true that religion informs culture, so does the weather. In places where it is cold all the time, people generally do things a certain way, and where its hot all the time, they tend to do things somewhat differently. Neither is right or wrong. No value call there, just a difference in approach to life caused by a sub-conscious & pragmatic response to the weather.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 24 2015 6:23 AM

Dan Francis:

fgh:

Classics of Western Spirituality Bundle

Said it before and will say it again this set is the most important collection of works not in Logos and it is a serious shame it is not yet under production.

-Dan

If it were priced somewhat less than 40+ dollars a title, or were broken up so that I could purchase it slowly, then I suspect I'd have a number of pre-pub orders in. But at the price I am just not at a place where I can be interested.

*chuckle* If someone wanted to buy them for me, I'd definitely bid however.

Posts 122
NK | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 24 2015 7:09 AM

A "classic" written with Islam in mind - Thomas Aquinas - Summa Contra Gentiles.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 24 2015 9:46 AM

NK:

A "classic" written with Islam in mind - Thomas Aquinas - Summa Contra Gentiles.

Very interesting contribution. Thanks.

Posts 1367
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 24 2015 2:21 PM

abondservant:
Further I posit that it is not the religion that leads them to be hospitable but their culture.

Yes, thanks for the reminder, you are right. The Christian Arabs are also very hospitable. 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1995
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 24 2015 4:36 PM

There are plenty of Muslims around these days.  I suggest if you really want to understand them, get to know them.  I learned more being around them and living among them in a just a few days than I would have got from a stack of books.    

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 25 2015 5:15 AM

Gao Lu:

There are plenty of Muslims around these days.  I suggest if you really want to understand them, get to know them.  I learned more being around them and living among them in a just a few days than I would have got from a stack of books.    

Gao, if there was a way to like your post I would! I think you have hit the nail on the head. The best way to learn about about culture, ethnic-social construct, language, is by immersing one's self in it and experiencing first hand.

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 1367
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2015 1:02 PM

I came across this, it has good reviews, it is from IVP and available as Kindle, so I would think that publishing this could be relatively easy for Logos and there would be customers in line waiting for it

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0830856552/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3L5N2K64SOV9H&coliid=I15CT8B0V0K1B6 

Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS