Calling all Portfolio owners

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 33 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 24 2010 5:55 PM

I upgraded to the Platinum Logos 4 package, but my heart wanted Portfolio. However, I was too scared to make that large of a financial commitment, plus I had pretty much burned my 2009 book budget.

However, it's now 2010 and I have a new book budget but, unfortunately, the introductory special ends soon. So, for those of you who took the Portfolio plunge, was it worth it? Are you satisfied with your purchase? Any regrets?

Thanks for your input as I only have a week left to make a final decision. 

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 48
Randall McRoberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 6:11 PM

Yes. Yes. No.

Posts 18821
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 6:16 PM

I took the plunge and upgraded from Gold directly to Portfolio with the discount. I have not regretted it. There are certainly some resources in it that I didn't care about, but there were enough that I wanted which all together would have cost much more than the upgrade price, that I think it was worth it. I am not sure I would have done it if it were going to blow my entire book budget for the year, though. I am still not using all of what I have in my Logos library, and I could probably spend the next two or three years (during which I could have saved up for the other resources I wanted) getting more familiar with it all and making sure I'm really using it to its fullest capacity. There's something to be said, though, for grabbing what you can now at a good price for future use. And there's something to be said for following your heart. But make sure your head is involved too by doing the math, and if it works out to be a good deal for you, go for it!

Posts 3768
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 6:20 PM

Christina, I am still figuring that out.  Stick out tongue

I JUST upgraded after looooong deliberation.  While I believed certain other pre-pubs were hotter wants at this time than Portfolio, once I looked over the resources and considered the cost to resource ratio, it was pretty much a no-brainer.   Now, I say that as a person who had a small amount Portfolio resources in my library already (ISBE, Baptism collection, stuff from Carson, College Press NIV, etc), having purchased them as pre-pubs, etc.   It still cost me 1300.  I am glad to get a wide variety of books, commentaries, Hebrew and Jewish works, encyclopedias, devotional commentaries (Getting to Know Jesus), etc.

I am glad I have it.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 7:10 PM

I upgraded to Platinum from Scholars Gold right away when Logos 4 became available. After about 2 weeks of looking over the resources in Portfolio, realizing how many were on my wish list and adding the cost of those up, I realized that the package upgrade would cost less than the resources I wanted. Along with those, I got many more that I didn't  know I wanted until I had them. So for me, I was glad I made the plunge and have no regrets.

Since you are asking, I know you will appreciate the resources. 
I suggest that you pray about it, and If you are at peace with the decision, then definitely go for it!

And if you decide to stick with the Platinum package, you still have loads of great resources!

Posts 49
Jim Oesterwind | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 10:02 AM

From a person who didn't upgrade but looked over things closely -

I decided that Platinum was fine.  I am not going to upgrade to Portfolio.  The upgrade would cost me approximately $2,000.  I am at the point that I'm carefully looking at prepub items and those things I really need.  My next major purchase will be the Theological journals.  The commentary section of the upgrade was the clincher for me. 

Jim Oesterwind

Heritage Baptist Church

Antioch, CA

www.heritageantioch.com

Posts 2715
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 10:06 AM

To borrow the words of Randall - Yes. Yes. No.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 106
Mark Martin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 10:11 AM

I am very pleased with the upgrade to portfolio and have no regrets.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 10:42 AM

I did not upgrade, although I have considered it many times!

The upgrade would cost me around 2000.00, is it still a good deal the answer is a big yes!!!

However, I am on a limited budget, and I am buiding my resources based on price and need!

I believe there are gaps in the Platinum package, but as I look at the Portfolio package, it really does not fil those gaps well.  I decided if I spend 2000.00, I would get the best bang for my buck and meet my needs best by putting together my own package, using my felt needs as the standard rather than just looking at book value.  If I had more money and was just looking for the best buys on the market I would snap up the Porfolio package, there is no doubt that the value is there and it contains a lot of good reference books, but for me those reference books do not fall in the need area, as much as other books do! 

You need to ask yourself, not only is this a good value, but does it provide me with books that I need for this next year, or would more of my needs be met with other books, even if they were not as great of deals!

One last comment, it is very hard for me to see how anyone that bought this collection at these prices would regret buying the package based on the value of the books contained within the package, to me the only regret would come from being on a limited budget and finding out I really needed other books and now I can't afford to get them.

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 579
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 11:24 AM

I upgraded from Gold to Portfolio and have no regrets, but my upgrade cost was only $800. (I'm still amazed and grateful I got such a good deal.)  Considering that the College Press NIV Commentary Series alone cost $750, it was well worth it to me.

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 11:32 AM

Pam Larson:

I upgraded from Gold to Portfolio and have no regrets, but my upgrade cost was only $800. (I'm still amazed and grateful I got such a good deal.)  Considering that the College Press NIV Commentary Series alone cost $750, it was well worth it to me.

Pam, wow what a price! What upgrades/pre-pubs had you added to your library before upgrading to Portfolio?

Thanks!

Christina

Posts 44
Michael Krogstad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 11:35 AM

Wow!  Only $800 from Gold to Portfolio?  So, this begs a question in my mind.  As you look over the portfolio and compare what it has, do you find that there are many of the resources you have already purchased?  Or have you purchased a lot of resources outside of the Gold package you had?

Michael

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 12:03 PM

Wow Pam, what a deal. If that had been my Portfolio cost I might have considered it as well. As it is, like others I am on a tight budget and will be upgrading to Platinum as it has a majority of what I am interested at this moment. Portfolio has a few, but I will either wait and pickup the specific titles or determine the need justifies the cost.

Right now, for me, it doesn't, but that doesn't mean that it's not a good deal. I just can't spend $2300+ which would take up several years of book budget funding when Most are not that important right now. Platinum makes sense as there are a handful of books I really want and their individual cost would eclipse that upgrade price by a significant amount.

Have a blessed day.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 12:16 PM

It seems like a lot of people are waiting to hear back from Pam regarding that awesome price. What a blessing for her!  At $800, I'd purchase Portfolio in a heartbeat!

Christina

Posts 3676
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 12:29 PM

Christina:
At $800, I'd purchase Portfolio in a heartbeat!

Maybe 2 heartbeats or more, but Yes +1

But at a quoted $2080 to upgrade, it isn't even close enough to call sales...  I'll learn to explore & find contentment with Platinum.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 44
Michael Krogstad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 12:47 PM

I agree with you here.  I had the same price upgrading from Gold through Platinum.

Michael

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 2:34 PM

Per the original question, Yes, Yes and No.

I would have been willing to pay $800 too, but they only asked $787 so I agreed quite quickly; but only after careful comparison of the content I did NOT already have with what I thought I would use and eventually get when the time was right.  Like others, the Portfolio content is so large that there were titles in there that I thought and still think I will probably never use, but that is not the point.  In fact the scope is so large that there are probably enough titles you would NOT really go for, that you wonder if the total package is really worth it.  If you think that, I would urge you to take a closer look. The point is how good a deal is it for you to get the titles you WOULD use.  For me I stopped counting after the new titles I would use got to be over three times the cost to me of the upgrade. And there were many more that I had not yet counted.....

And YES, to get such a good deal on the upgrade you had to have had a good record of participation in pre-pubs (many of which are a good deal, many of which I passed over earlier and subsequently regreted, only to find them offered as part of the Portfolio package; which helped push me into the upgrade)....

Suggestion when you look at pre-pubs: consider both the probability that you will use the books AND the percentage discount between the pre-pub price and the Logos Sale Price.  Some are only small discounts, some are 75% or so.  A high percentage discount can compensate for some collections where you might only use SOME of the books listed in the collection.  Buying these later (if subsequently offered as individual titles), you may find cost individually as much as (or close to) the cost of the collection at the pre-pub price.  Not all pre-pubs are equal with respect to discount or value.  Select wisely....

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 2:43 PM

If my upgrade price was only 800.00 instead of a little over 2000.00 I would own the Portfolio collection right now, and still have 1200.00 to fill in the gaps in my library.

What a buy, but you must have already had a bunch of the titles OR Logos just likes you most!!!!

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 5:19 PM

I like having the extra books. I never know when I might need the information in one of them. I have also purchased several of the journals. It is amazing how often the information I am looking for is in one of them.

Erasmus once said, “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

Gabrielle is reported to have said, "Real poverty is the lack of books."

Posts 18821
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 25 2010 9:42 PM

WilliamEGordonJr:

I like having the extra books. I never know when I might need the information in one of them. I have also purchased several of the journals. It is amazing how often the information I am looking for is in one of them.

Erasmus once said, “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

Gabrielle is reported to have said, "Real poverty is the lack of books."

This was written about paper books, but it applies equally well to digital ones:

"Those who aspire to the status of cultured individuals visit bookstores with trepidation, overwhelmed by the immensity of all they have not read.  They buy something that they've been told is good, make an unsuccessful attempt to read it, and when they have accumulated half a dozen unread books, feel so bad that they are afraid to buy more.  In contrast, the truly cultured are capable of owning thousands of unread books without losing their composure or their desire for more."

– Gabriel Zaid, So Many Books: Reading and Publishing in an Age of Abundance

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS