Calling all Portfolio owners

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 588
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 12:14 AM

Christina:

It seems like a lot of people are waiting to hear back from Pam regarding that awesome price. What a blessing for her!  At $800, I'd purchase Portfolio in a heartbeat!

Christina

Gee, now I'm starting to wonder if Logos made a mistake!  It's true I have participated heavily in the pre-pub offerings, but the big ones like Anchor and NIC aren't in Portfolio. I did already own Baker Exegetical, ITC, SPCK, and Baker Hermeneutics collection. Also I think the Christmas Library Builder from 2 years ago had a lot of the individual titles.

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 6:55 AM

Pam Larson:

Christina:

It seems like a lot of people are waiting to hear back from Pam regarding that awesome price. What a blessing for her!  At $800, I'd purchase Portfolio in a heartbeat!

Christina

Gee, now I'm starting to wonder if Logos made a mistake!  It's true I have participated heavily in the pre-pub offerings, but the big ones like Anchor and NIC aren't in Portfolio. I did already own Baker Exegetical, ITC, SPCK, and Baker Hermeneutics collection. Also I think the Christmas Library Builder from 2 years ago had a lot of the individual titles.

Pam, I don't believe they made a mistake. A representative from Logos actually saw my post, reviewed my account and explained why my upgrade price is so much higher than other massively blessed people like you and David (smile)Smile, who only paid $787, is because I hadn't previously purchased a lot of the items included in the Portfolio package. I too have purchased a ton of additional resources like Anchor, Hermenia, Interpretation, Word Biblical Commentary, NICOT/NICNT, Library Builder, The Forms of Old Testament Literature, along with several other individual items. Unfortunately, once again, none of my major purchases and very few of my additional purchases were included in Portfolio so my price was much higher. 

After reviewing Portfolio closely, I realize there are at least 3-4 resources I wanted to purchase this year. The cost of those items alone is almost as much as it would cost me to upgrade. I am waiting anxiously for the Apple announcement tomorrow because I really need some type of tablet device that would enable me to access my Logos library in a more powerful way. I hope Logos will let us know what type of tablet devices are compatible with Logos after the announcement.

I also want to thank Philip from Logos for taking the time to read and respond to my inquiry. It's the dedicated, hard-working and compassionate people like Philip that remind me why I love Logos so much!

Everybody, thank you so much for your input. Please feel free to keep the comments coming! They are helping out more than you could ever imagine.

Blessings,

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 43
Abraham M. Payton Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 7:47 AM

I upgraded the first day it was available and have no regrets. It was worth it for me and I am quite satisfied. Like others I have spent a considerable amount of time utilizing and exploring this vast resource. It will be interesting to read your decision.

Abraham 

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 10:54 AM

IIRC, I spoke with Philip last month, too.  (It had nothing to do with Portfolio.)  He was VERY helpful.  Smile 

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 4:32 PM

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I'm not seriously interested in the Portfolio package, though I have been eying some of the Jewish resources in it; I was also curious if those who made the investment were truly satisfied. Currently I own Platinum and have about 35 items in Portfolio as well as many others not in any of the packages. It would be difficult for me to make that large of an investment ($2000) for things I may never use (there are only a few items in the package that perk my interest and yes, I understand that I would still be getting a deal). I'd rather save my resources for the Pre-Pubs.

Your comments were helpful.

Posts 3883
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 5:00 PM

fwiw, the "value" of Portfolio also changes, once the extra percentage discount vanishes after January 31.  That I also had to keep in mind.  I figured I would rather want Portfolio than not, but if I waited, and it essentially doubled after Jan 31, upgrading would be that much more difficult for me.

There are a lot of hidden gems in portfolio.  I DO think it is lacking a killer commentary series, like NICOT, AY, Hermeneia, ICC, or something.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 29
Matt Rees | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 2:31 PM

Rosie Perera:

This was written about paper books, but it applies equally well to digital ones:

"Those who aspire to the status of cultured individuals visit bookstores with trepidation, overwhelmed by the immensity of all they have not read.  They buy something that they've been told is good, make an unsuccessful attempt to read it, and when they have accu :)mulated half a dozen unread books, feel so bad that they are afraid to buy more.  In contrast, the truly cultured are capable of owning thousands of unread books without losing their composure or their desire for more."

– Gabriel Zaid, So Many Books: Reading and Publishing in an Age of Abundance

Rosie,

That made my evening, thanks! Big Smile

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 12:20 PM

Christina:

I upgraded to the Platinum Logos 4 package, but my heart wanted Portfolio. However, I was too scared to make that large of a financial commitment, plus I had pretty much burned my 2009 book budget.

However, it's now 2010 and I have a new book budget but, unfortunately, the introductory special ends soon. So, for those of you who took the Portfolio plunge, was it worth it? Are you satisfied with your purchase? Any regrets?

Thanks for your input as I only have a week left to make a final decision. 

Christina

I took the plunge and upgraded to the Portfolio package a few minutes ago! The cost of 13 resources I wanted that are included in the Portfolio package was $4,452.40, and this doesn't even include all of the other resources I'll probably end up using. This fact, plus the release of the iPad, gave me the final push I needed. I'll be able to get more use out of my library using the new technology and the price was just too good to pass up. I'm still regretting not purchasing the Yale Anchor Bible Commentary series when it was on pre-pub, so I promised myself, if at all possible, not to make that mistake again.

Another reason for my decision to upgrade was also based upon all of the wonderful feedback that you, my sisters and brothers in Christ, gave me in your various posts. So keep me in your prayers as I learn to enjoy popcorn, peanut butter and store brand jelly which will be my diet for the next several months! At least I can grow some vegetables in the spring. Yoo hoo!

Have a blessed weekend!

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 12:33 PM

Well congradulations, it looks like you made a great buy based on YOU, and YOUR wants and needs and that is what counts!  I am sure you will enjoy the additional books! 

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 29 2010 9:26 PM

Maybe I should not have read this thread today...I too purchased the Platinum (in December from Gold) and right after reading Christina's final entry above, I decided to take advantage of the best price I could get as well and made the final plunge to Portfolio...thank God for Academic Pricing!

Posts 582
Brent Hoefling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 7:27 AM

I bought it.  I think it is worth it, and no regrets about the portfolio itself.

If it was an l3 offering, I think I would have stuck to that though.

l4 isn't done.  can't see many of my resources that l3 has.  not sure if I will ever be able to.  Further; every time I have made a major version upgrade, I have lost some number of resources from my total.  happened from 1 to 2, from 2 to 3, and now again from 3 to 4.  they say the 3->4 is because of the way the metadata is and that some resources are now considered one, instead of several volumes.  but I just can't see the requirement to do that.  when I open my L3 and see over 4000 resources, and then open my l4 and see less than that (not by just a few), my OCD kicks in and I wnat to know not only why, but exactly what is missing.

with all that said...  reread the post and understand that I have been around since the stack of floppy discs, and will continue, as their support for this tool as a "library" and their commitment for me to be able to keep my "library" in new versions is amazing.  kudos to Logos for maintaining a view of the big picture of the whole.

I dont' know the tens of thousands of dollars I have spent on resources and continue.  When I die, I have placed my library in my will to give to my daughter.

Posts 1504
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 7:37 AM

I do recommend upgrading. I upgraded from gold to platinum and after more consideration upgraded to portfolio. I am fully happy with the resources I now have available. I do wish they had more reference material in Porfirio but for the price it is definitely the way to build your library.

Posts 58
Emery Horvath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 3:20 PM

Blair Laird:

I do recommend upgrading. I upgraded from gold to platinum and after more consideration upgraded to portfolio. I am fully happy with the resources I now have available. I do wish they had more reference material in Porfirio but for the price it is definitely the way to build your library.

I went the same route though I did call Customer Service when making the final upgrade to Portfolio.  I was given a slight discount by the salesman because apparently you pay a little more by going through these three steps individually than if you go directly from Gold to Portfolio

Emery,

The natural plus the supernatural together make an explosive force for God.

Posts 3883
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 30 2010 4:18 PM

Energized1:
I went the same route though I did call Customer Service when making the final upgrade to Portfolio.  I was given a slight discount by the salesman because apparently you pay a little more by going through these three steps individually than if you go directly from Gold to Portfolio

I should have called.  I emailed, but no discount!  Surprise

That said, I didn't see a difference.  I went Gold to Plat to Port and i believe the relative cost was the same (noticing how much the Port was to begin with, and then after I upgraded in 3 steps.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS