A plea for better notetaking within L4

Page 4 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 70 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 12 2010 10:52 AM

MJ. Smith:

Stein Dahl:
actually would like to KEEP all of the Bible research  I collect and store in my notes - INSIDE of Logos 4

I agree wholeheartedly. With the Search capabilities and the Favorites to keep links, Logos is well-situated to become the repository of all one's Bible study documents.This doesn't mean that Logos must be the creator of all the documents - it means being able to link and index documents within Logos ... the reason I frequently copy diagrams into notes. Simple charts, chiasms, templates for form structures ... Logos is so close

My one greatest and only huge reason not to use Logos as my dedicated notes repository is there is NO guarantee all my notes from L4 and therefore all my Bible study work would be viable with the next version of Logos.  I will never forget the early days of beta testing L4 when notes from version 3 were not yet going to be imported to L4 that one gentleman literally begged to have them imported into version 4. (Hey, I was surprised that they weren't since notes from earlier versions of Logos made it into versions 2 and 3--I just assumed noters from 3 would easily move to 4.)  I would LOVE to use L4 as my main Bible software program but I cannot.  And, yes, there were very good reasons why Logos chose the early course they did and thankfully they listened to users.  But... 

Posts 40
josh s blake | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 8:30 AM

Again, just today...notes....AAAAAARRRRRRGGGG!  Please make them usable.  I'm sure my complaint isn't new, but the frustration in using Logos 4 with such poor notes got to me today.  Thank you for letting me vent.  Someone here will understand.  My wife and one-year-old do not.

Posts 225
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 12 2010 1:13 PM

I use notes for some personal bible study, I just like to see my highlight and comments and questions as I read, and then review scripture - takes the place of that rebound leather copy.

All my other notes have been in onenote, but it started to do weird things when syncing, creating multiple copies of pages (using windows live sync), so I moved all my notes to evernote because it is so like L4 - on the computer and in the cloud, syncs, but can work offline.  If these software companies have similar programming philosophies, and are both independent and smaller (than say ms or google), and evernote has opened their program so people can write apps.... I see opportunity here, wish I was a programmer. 

Anyway, I feel your pain, wish it was all together in one place.

Posts 16
Christian Girl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 10:20 PM

We for sure need better note-taking that allows us to perform our work faster! I don't even bother with the Logos note taker but instead use Word. That says something. And I know others do the same. Yes

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 9:28 PM

Bob mentioned months back that there were changes coming to notes that might fulfill some of the expections I mentioned in my previous post on this thread (and in others). But my main sticking point remains and I am not aware of any work around that would get me to forsake L3 for L4. I am a big L3 fan. I readily admit that L4 has certain features and benefits that L3 lacks...but none of those features meets my usage pattern needs in the way L3 does. Most of these issues are Notes related, though some are not. I genuinely hope that L5 will be a blend of the two programs. I'm not ready to do it now, but in the future I will post features in both programs that are critical to the way I use Logos. Hopefully, most of those things will turn up in L5.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 9:41 PM

David Paul:

Bob mentioned months back that there were changes coming to notes that might fulfill some of the expections I mentioned in my previous post on this thread (and in others). But my main sticking point remains and I am not aware of any work around that would get me to forsake L3 for L4. I am a big L3 fan. I readily admit that L4 has certain features and benefits that L3 lacks...but none of those features meets my usage pattern needs in the way L3 does. Most of these issues are Notes related, though some are not. I genuinely hope that L5 will be a blend of the two programs. I'm not ready to do it now, but in the future I will post features in both programs that are critical to the way I use Logos. Hopefully, most of those things will turn up in L5.

Perhaps you could detail the deficiencies you find in L4 over against L3 as regards notes.  I'm a big fan of the notes function and would like to see them as robust as possible, but I think notes in L4 already surpass those in L3.  What I desire is yet further improvements such as the ability to footnote in notes.  What's on your list?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 26533
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2012 12:21 AM

George Somsel:
What's on your list?

My outstanding sticking point is the ability to attach a note to multiple passages. I still NEED chart and image capability but I understand why it won't be given priority.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2012 2:42 AM

MJ. Smith:
image capability
and tables and tags and more formatting of the text.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2012 5:05 AM

tom collinge:

MJ. Smith:
image capability
and tables and tags and more formatting of the text.

Construct them in Word then paste them into notes.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2012 6:05 AM

George Somsel:
Construct them in Word then paste them into notes.
Some times it works when I paste a table into a note, and sometimes it doesn't.

I sill use L3 for all of my notes, and then import them into L4.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2012 6:50 AM

Every now and then when someone says L4 notes are much improved, I dutifully make a note (literally) just to see the what's changed. Then delete the note file when done.  I'm impressed deleting all my notes is so easy and convenient too.

I think L4/L5 will always be an interesting programming museum piece until they recode.

Page 4 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS