Resources on Transgender

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 906
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 28 2015 10:06 AM

I am a conservative Baptist pastor who sees the Bible as very clear on sexual ethics. However, with the current surge of news about transgenderism, I was looking for biblical scholarship on the issue. I have Collector's Edition and the Chaplain Bundle. Still, a search for the word "Transgender" only turned up 34 resources and 197 results (77 of which are in biblical abstracts, and nearly all of which are passing references). No systematic theology I have comes up, except a footnote in Erickson. Can anyone recommend a resource which engages this issue seriously and with respect to biblical authority?

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 10:30 AM

Sadly there is little to nothing from our perpsective in Logos.  There are several that I would recommend in dead tree.

FWIW, this is one you will want to have on your shelf, it comes from a conference Golden Gate had, Ministry in a New Marriage Culture: http://www.bhpublishinggroup.com/products/ministry-in-the-new-marriage-culture/ 

Posts 619
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 10:40 AM

Everett Headley:

FWIW, this is one you will want to have on your shelf, it comes from a conference Golden Gate had, Ministry in a New Marriage Culture: http://www.bhpublishinggroup.com/products/ministry-in-the-new-marriage-culture/ 

If you don't want to wait for the book you can watch the 5 keynote sessions from the conference at: https://vimeo.com/channels/ggbtsmarriage

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 10:51 AM

Just saw this on vyrso:  Conviction without Compromise

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 10:53 AM

People who get agitated enough to write on this subject usually zero in on what they consider to be what's "right and wrong". They then get red-faced about insisting people conform to this perspective. This isn't the correct way to address this topic. YHWH sets before mankind "a choice"--Deut. 30:15--life or death, blessing or cursing. Christians seem to constantly overlook the "choice" part of this equation (of course, in reality this is an inequality). YHWH sets the parameters, but allows folks to choose their own paths. Most of those paths will end in a denial of the kingdom and eternal life...but the choice is theirs to make. I would suggest looking for resources that frame this issue in this way, spelling out the cost for choosing the path that doesn't lead to blessing and life...and then acknowledging that the chips must be allowed to fall where they may. Pounding on "right or wrong" can't work, because for some people, the right choice--regardless of what you, I, or the Bible says about it--will be to choose their own path and take the reward of death. Does that mean they are choosing "what is right in their own eyes"? Of course, it does! But as long as they are choosing with their eyes wide open to the pitfalls and consequences, it's their call to make. YHWH says so.

Posts 451
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 10:54 AM

The Center for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (I have their journal pre-ordered but I'm not sure if there are a lot of articles on transgender issues) recently put out a very helpful article about transgender issues written by a Christian M.D. and one of the editors that I highly recommend. It discusses medical topics, touches on psychology, and concludes with some excellent Christian response.

Posts 10100
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 11:10 AM

Everett Headley:

Just saw this on vyrso:  Conviction without Compromise

But it reads Compassion without Compromise - Subtitle: How the Gospel Frees Us to Love Our Gay Friends Without Losing the Truth

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 11:12 AM

oops

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 11:31 AM

I do not own this resource but The Complete Christian Guide to Understanding Homosexuality-Joe Dallas , Nancy Heche [Kindle Edition available] has the following endorsement:

"The book that should be on every pastor's desk, every Christian worker and anyone at all who recognizes the need to be better informed about the most crucial cultural challenge facing the church today is The Complete Christian Guide to Understanding Homosexuality."  
--Bob Stith, National Strategist for Gender Issues, Southern Baptist Convention

Leading me to believe it might contain the best information for you. Being available in kindle you can easily download the sample to get a better feel.

-Dan

Posts 494
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 1:07 PM

I'd second Dan on his recommendation. I own the print copy of "The Complete Guide" (and we keep several copies in our resource cabinets of Pastoral Care References at our Church) and have also heard Joe Dallas and Dr Heche speak at a conference on the topic of ministry to those with Same Sex Attractions (SSA).  I've been waiting for it to come to Logos, personally!  Unfortunately, the guide only really has one article specifically detailing Transgender issues, but the issue is enmeshed in the entirety of the SSA and LBTQ lifestyle.  Its a great resource to own.

Searching for SSA and LGBT ministry resources would be a great start.  You may also want to look up resources regarding ministering to people suffering from Gender Dysphoria and Body Dysmorphic Disorder.  This arena of ministry is definitely in great need of study, compassion, and resources!

As a side note, I've really enjoyed listening to a fellow named Sy Rogers share his testimony.  He lived a gay lifestyle, and even as woman in preparation for a gender reassignment surgery until he had a revelation of God's love and plan for his life.  He has overcame the lifestyle, eventually married, has children (and grandchildren) and travels sharing the hope that Christ can recuse people from this lifestyle.  I'm sure you can find him on iTunes.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 2:02 PM

Richard Villanueva:
sharing the hope that Christ can recuse people from this lifestyle.

Interesting word here...whether intentional or not, I suppose it fits.

Posts 494
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 2:11 PM

Indifferent Ha!

I meant rescue, though I do figure both are apt!! Depending on which way you respond to God's call to repentance!

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 26730
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 3:36 PM

For starters - don't confuse transgender issues with issues of homosexuality, bisexuality, marriage equality etc. Think more along the lines of hermaphrodites. You can find a number of resources including bibliographic material at http://www.religioustolerance.org/transsexu.htm

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2073
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 4:06 PM

Best Resource might be the plain old fashioned Bible:  Gen 1:27  

Posts 906
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 4:33 PM

Thanks for all of the help, everyone. It seems like there is not much in Logos. But I guess the issue is relatively new. I think that is made clear by the Transsexuals in history page on ReligiousTolerance, which is mostly a list of transvestites, with exactly 0 cases listed of what we would call transsexuality. I will have to look into the dead tree books and the lecture, but I was really hoping for some kind of a systematic theology which dealt with these kinds of problems as a part of anthropology (and hamartiology), instead of as an island. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

MJ, I understand what you mean. But I am not the one who put them all together (and not hermaphrodites) in the popular acronym.

Posts 26730
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 4:59 PM

Yes, Justin, I know you didn't ... but some of the responses did. I suspect that there are few in history because they were generally not identified as "different" see http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/02/us/musician-s-death-at-74-reveals-he-was-a-woman.html

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 5:39 PM

Justin Gatlin:
I am a conservative Baptist pastor who sees the Bible as very clear on sexual ethics. However, with the current surge of news about transgenderism, I was looking for biblical scholarship on the issue.

I don't think that you are necessarily looking for anything that would contradict your initially stated position, but these are the books I think look the most interesting:

Omnigender: A Trans-Religious approach - Virginia Ramey Mollenkott

Trans/formationsMarcella Althaus-Reid and Lisa Isherwood

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 6:29 PM

One thing to also remember is 1/1000 births are ambiguous sex (can not determine 100% birth sex).... these children are almost always raised female after corrective surgery. Please keep in mind being raised the wrong sex can be extremely confusing and frustrating. I did not recommend items that I suspected would be highly disagreeable with your position. Even for people who are genetically identified properly it is no less upsetting to feel so uncomfortable in one's skin as to be disgusted with it. I am not trying to defend their feelings but hope you can understand how it drives many to despair. 

-Dan

Posts 494
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 8:55 PM

Homosexuality and Transgender issues are definitely two different subjects to tackle (ministering to a lesbian woman and a gay man would benefit from a different approach, as well). It's seems they get lumped together because the community  shares a similar cause, especially in their pursuit of Civil Liberties. Understanding the different terms would probably help hone a search in  Logos (or online and on Amazon, for that matter.)

Ministering to a hermaphrodite/intersex person would differ from someone that is transgender in that a transgender person has or is in the process of reassigning their birth gender by their own choice; whereas a hermaphrodite is born with both or an ambiguous physical sex. But, like Dan mentioned, someone assigned a female gender at birth without having a choice or say in it could deal a person some extreme trauma and identity confusion!  It's something my mind can't grasp. Mercy, patience, and understanding would be necessary, to say the very least.

I appreciate the resources listed above!  If anyone has others, please do share!  With the way our culture's current state of reasoning is going, I think it's a matter of "when", not "if" we come across transgender people entering and seeking ministry in many of our churches.  I'm not thrilled it's a subject we have to talk about, but I am glad that we as a biblical community ARE talking about it and sharing resources.

Posts 26730
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2015 9:56 PM

I don't think someone has to be transitioning or transitioned to be transgendered. I know an individual who by the time they were 3 their playmates were confused as to the individual's gender. It was 30 years later that it occurred to the individual that "transgender" might apply to them.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS