Since when does 86 = 88?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2249
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 29 2015 5:30 PM

If you look in Collector's Edition it says 86 volumes for AYB. The AYB says 88 volumes. If you are paying for Collector's I would think that Faithlife would be considerate enough to include the full set.

My math is bad but not that bad.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 5:34 PM

mab:
If you look in Collector's Edition it says 86 volumes for AYB. The AYB says 88 volumes. If you are paying for Collector's I would think that Faithlife would be considerate enough to include the full set

At least they are upfront about it.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 5:47 PM

Well, I would have said maybe it was a typo, but then I counted all the books in the image that went with it, and there were only 86 in that too:

And there are 88 books in the image on the AYB product description page:

And those book image graphics usually do bear a connection to the actual books in a collection, in that they match up colors and thickness of each volume, etc. In other words, they aren't just auto-generated given the number of volumes in the set. So explaining the 86 as a typo couldn't account for the 86-volume graphic.

EDIT: Ah, I see Randy already figured out the explanation before I'd finished posting.

Posts 56
David Achorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 5:57 PM

Maybe a Common Core math class could get those number to equal.  

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 6:03 PM

David Achorn:

Actually, it's easy to prove that 86 = 88 with some clever mathematical prestidigitation.

Posts 370
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 6:11 PM

This hurts the mathematician in me.

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 6:20 PM

David Achorn:

Thief, you stole my remark.  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2249
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 6:30 PM

I would think they could shoehorn the two newer volumes into the Collector's edition given that there's plenty of stuff that hasn't yet shipped. It's not like an impulse item blister packed on a checkout line. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 6:33 PM

mab:

I would think they could shoehorn the two newer volumes into the Collector's edition given that there's plenty of stuff that hasn't yet shipped. It's not like an impulse item blister packed on a checkout line. 

The EnquirerBig Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2015 6:38 PM

James Chandler:

Namaste: the mathematician in me hurts the mathematician in you. Wink

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 13 2017 7:30 AM

Rosie Perera:

Actually, it's easy to prove that 86 = 88 with some clever mathematical prestidigitation.

Thankful for infinite insight (division by zero).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 199
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 13 2017 4:21 PM

If X=Y then X-Y = 0 ......

and......

You are not allowed to divide by zero....Devil <-- {hey! Where did the BSD guy come from???}

oops... I missed your "insight" remark there Keep Smiling... sorry!

Posts 789
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 13 2017 5:07 PM

When I present this problem to people, instead of "divide by x-y", I say, "cancel (x-y)". People don't always recognize that "canceling" is actually dividing. Smile

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 13 2017 10:31 PM

Call it a postulate, call it a given, call it an assumption...if it isn't actual, it never will be.

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 14 2017 11:55 PM

It's an alternate fact.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 650
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 15 2017 4:10 AM

Rosie Perera:

James Chandler:

Namaste: the mathematician in me hurts the mathematician in you. Wink

The (former) accountant in me feels compelled to point out that all 88 vols. are now accounted for in the current Collector's Edition (Logos 7).

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS