Word counts?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 25 2010 3:27 PM

I am sure at some point in ver. 4 I was able to see a list of word counts for a selected passage, for all the words in the passage, but now I can't find it. Was I dreaming that or if it's there can someone point me to it?

Thanks!

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 3:59 AM

Does anyone know whether there is a way to get a word count of a passage in a list? I was sure I could do it now I can't find it. Hopefully someone can put me out of my misery  one way or the other Big Smile

Thanks!

Posts 24701
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 4:02 AM

I've been trying! Worst thing is I'm now facing the same dilemma ... I thought it could be done, but ....

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1536
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 6:09 AM

Dave Hooton:

I've been trying! Worst thing is I'm now facing the same dilemma ... I thought it could be done, but ....

Last time I asked, I was directed back to L3. Bob had said they are coming, but I haven't seen them yet.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 7:10 AM

Word lists aren't in Logos just yet. I too look forward to their return. However, there is a workaround using the Analysis function. Construct a search that will catch everything in the verse(s) it could be as simple as "*", but that would take a while. You could do "@N, @V, @B, @C, @I" etc. depending on the morphology. Then limit the analysis to the surface text or to the lemma, whatever, then export to an excel document. The number of rows will be your word count. You can then use the search and find feature to get rid of "lbs/el/" and then you can use the data sorting tools to eliminate duplicate values (if you want) then you will have a vocabulary list. Of course this is a long way to do stuff, I once made a lemma list for the LXX this way!

Posts 24701
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 2:37 PM

Kevin Becker:
Word lists aren't in Logos just yet. I too look forward to their return.

Word Lists with a count, like Vocabulary List, only it works on the surface text...

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 12
Pat Sieler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2011 12:16 PM

How do you limit the analysis to the surface text?

I am trying to generate a word list for the book of Psalms.

1325.word list.tiff

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2011 12:43 PM

Pat,

Do you want your list to be every form or just a list of the lemmas used?

Posts 242
ROGER JIMENEZ | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2011 12:56 PM

Someone, in Logos, told me that words count was only possible "for now" (how manyt things are "for now"... ooops!) in Greek or Hebrew (In L3). That long ago. Looking around, I found this site. It has some interesting tools, including a word counter that can help. Blessings.

http://www.primitivezone.com/primitive-word-counter.html

Posts 12
Pat Sieler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2011 1:00 PM

I think I just want a list of the lemmas.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2011 1:06 PM

Pat Sieler:

I think I just want a list of the lemmas.

Then once you run your search, either drag the Hebrew Lemma header to the sort area, or export the Analysis results to an Excel file, delete all of the extra columns and then use Excel's remove duplicates feature to remove repeats.

Posts 759
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2012 5:21 PM

Hi, Kevin:

The Bible teaches by a broad-band method of repeating the most important commands and words. My goal was to build a word count of all Greek lemmas in the Old- and New Testaments.

1. Opened a Greek New Testament, and a Septuagint (LXX).

2. In the Search pane, clicked Morph.

3. Set the Search command line to "Search All Morph Text in All Passages in All Open Resources with Logos Greek Morph for @N, @V"

4. After grinding awhile, showed many rows of result.

5. Clicked Analysis, which resulted in more grinding.

6. Dragged the Lemma (Greek) header to the left-most column.

After clicking and right-clicking everywhere I can think of, I have two questions to get to the next level of counting:

Q. Is this the sort area? The space just above the column headings says, "Drag a column here to group by that column." Sounds like SQL-speak, which offers to count the number of rows for each lemma. How to launch a sort of all rows?

Q. How to export the Analysis results to an Excel file?

Posts 759
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2012 8:41 PM

Aha!  Figured it out.  In case you are interested, here are the rest of the steps:

7. Launch Excel.

8. Back in Logos, click on the search pane, then press {Ctrl+P} to open the print dialog.

9. In the lower right corner of the dialog, click "Paste into open document: Microsoft Excel"

10. In the Excel spreadsheet, you should see "Lemma" as the left-most column. Delete all other columns.

11. Click Excel's Home tab > "Sort & Filter > Custom Sort...

12. Sort by "Lemma," order "A to Z" > OK

13. Highlight all rows of Column A

14. Click Excel's Data tab > Click Filter > Click Advanced
       (o) Copy to another location
       Check "Unique records only"
       List range:   $A$1:$A$10410           (your range may vary)
       Copy to:        $C$1:$C10410            (the range won't be entirely filled)

15. Click OK
       Your data will be a unique list in column C

16. To get the counts for each unique word, in cell $D$2:   = countif( $A$2:$A$1041, C2 )
       This means: From Column A, count the words that match the word in C2.

17. Click cell $D$2, hold and drag your mouse down to the bottom of the list of words in column C to highlight the empty cells in Column D.  Then press {Ctrl+D} to copy the formula.

18. All the words are counted, in order by word. In order to see which words are used most often:
       Highlight C1:D1432
       Click the Home tab > Sort & Filter > Custom Sort
       Sort by Column D, order Largest to Smallest

19. Words used most often are at the top of the list in Column C, with the count in Column D.

Posts 310
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 15 2012 8:54 PM

You can use a morphological search to do what you are trying to do - Here is a link to a video I did that can show you how - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abKT1DCJZwE

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 7
Ronnie James | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 16 2012 1:32 AM

Michael Hite:

You can use a morphological search to do what you are trying to do - Here is a link to a video I did that can show you how - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abKT1DCJZwE

Excellent video Michael.....I appreciate the time and effort you've put into explaining some of the finer points of a morphological search.

Posts 1
Benjamin Ramey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 7:27 PM

Thanks, Michael!  That was exactly what I was looking for.

Posts 36
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2013 8:37 AM

Excellent video, Michael.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS