What happened to Ceslas Spicq’s The Epistle to the Hebrews!?!?!?

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 76
Ryan Burns | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 1 2015 12:30 PM

Was looking at my community pricing orders and... it disappeared. Apparently, it isn't even on the site anymore: The Epistle to the Hebrews.

Last time I checked, it has reached the level needed to move out of community pricing. I was SUPER excited that translation might actually begin. Now... POOF! Gone.

Anyone know the story?

Helping people find seminary scholarships and church jobs.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2015 12:38 PM

Ryan Burns:
Anyone know the story?

No, but I am very curious as to what is going on.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2015 1:03 PM

Hmmm ... this is weird.

Tongue Tied

Posts 1048
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2015 1:04 PM

I'd like to know as well.

Posts 6154
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2015 1:06 PM

It even disappeared from my pre-pub orders!

DAL

Posts 4744
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2015 1:11 PM

I'm guessing that it is undergoing the same transition/upheaval that this title did...it disappeared, showing the same "it's not here" screen, and then reappeared. Probably just site maintenance.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2015 1:12 PM

DAL:

It even disappeared from my pre-pub orders!

Me too.  Nooooooooooooo!

Posts 159

I want to confirm that Faithlife will not be pursuing this project at this time. We know that many customers were looking forward to this project, and so were we, however due to unforeseen circumstances we made the decision to not continue at this juncture.  

Translation projects are a massive undertaking and we made the decision to put our ressources into other projects. 

We're very sorry, we would have liked to have seen this title come to fruition (I placed an order on pre-pub before I was an employee). 

Posts 8835
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2015 6:23 PM

Thanks for letting us know Joseph. It is disappointing but understandable. Perhaps some day...

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 775
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2015 8:43 PM

I appreciate the explanation, but why not just offer it in French?

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2015 9:02 PM

I hope an email went out to those who had placed an order.

Posts 8835
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 2 2015 2:39 AM

Lew Worthington:

I would suspect it would be a supply and demand issue.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 2 2015 3:54 AM

I'm disappointed to see this resource won't make it into publication, but in fairness to Faithlife, they promoted it well via blog posts, etc., and gave us a long time to get the orders in to make it work. Sadly, as Bruce says, it looks like the demand wasn't there. Sad

Posts 775
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 2 2015 8:45 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Lew Worthington:

I would suspect it would be a supply and demand issue.

Of course. But offering it as a pre-pub will help determine what the demand is. That's what I was getting at. I should have been more specific.

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 2 2015 4:37 PM

I had this on pre-pub too. Darn.  I am guessing its lack of publication is due to some kind of internal resourcing issue which won't get further discussion in public.  However, I do feel that if there were more academics on the site, from a wider range of traditions, Logos could become quite innovative and forward thinking in undertaking translation projects for which there would be more demand.  

(And before somebody jumps at me for complaining about a lack of multi-traditioned academics, I'd like to point out that the current Master journal bundle fails to be broad enough to be of interest to many in mainstream seminaries / universities, which I think is indicative).

Posts 775
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 2 2015 5:33 PM

Rayner:

(And before somebody jumps at me for complaining about a lack of multi-traditioned academics, I'd like to point out that the current Master journal bundle fails to be broad enough...).

I will only jump at the chance to agree with you. Smile

I often feel like my academic perspectives and tastes are so far outside the Logos norm that I end up buying most resources because there's nothing else I can relate to. Ok, I'm exaggerating. But I do agree with you.

Posts 2200
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 2 2015 5:41 PM

Not surprising, given the amount of work. I hope they'll put this on fast track if they renew the project.  

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 4 2015 5:11 PM

So was this the result of the level of effort required on the part of Faithlife or at the request of the publisher?  According to this email that went out today, it was the latter.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Order update: The Epistle to the Hebrews

You are receiving this email because you pre-ordered The Epistle to the Hebrews.

Unfortunately, at the request of the publisher we had to retire this Pre-Pub. Since it may be available again in the future, we are leaving your pre-order on file for you.

You can review and adjust your order here. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Posts 5242
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 4 2015 7:18 PM

THAT almost sounds like the rights holder had an objection to the translator or something.

Sad

-Dan

Posts 26026
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 4 2015 8:52 PM

Lew Worthington:

I often feel like my academic perspectives and tastes are so far outside the Logos norm that I end up buying most resources because there's nothing else I can relate to. Ok, I'm exaggerating. But I do agree with you.

You are not as alone as it seems.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS