What happened to Ceslas Spicq’s The Epistle to the Hebrews!?!?!?

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 789
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 4 2015 9:16 PM

Dan Francis:

THAT almost sounds like the rights holder had an objection to the translator or something.

Sad

-Dan

It might explain why they cannot offer it as a pre-pub in French.

Posts 34
Timothy Drawbaugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 4 2015 10:36 PM

I received the same email. However comparing the email contents with the 'official statement' in this thread by Joseph ["Translation projects are a massive undertaking and we made the decision to put our ressources into other projects.], something doesn't add up. Was it the publisher or Faithlife that halted the work? Also, I tend to agree with the impression that Faithlife/Logos lacks multi-traditional academic titles. Sorry to see the commentary canceled.

On a side note, in the cancelation email where it says "You can review and adjust your order  here..." it is a link to my orders but with no way to review or adjust the pre-pub order, nor was there any trace of the author or title to be found. I guess '...we are leaving your pre-order on file for you." means that Logos has kept a record of the order on some server somewhere??

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 3:47 AM

MJ. Smith:

Lew Worthington:

I often feel like my academic perspectives and tastes are so far outside the Logos norm that I end up buying most resources because there's nothing else I can relate to. Ok, I'm exaggerating. But I do agree with you.

You are not as alone as it seems.

In my view, we're seeing some improvement in terms of volume which is, by nature, translating to improvement in diversity of resource.  eg. the Select Works of Henri de Lubac just entered pre-pub, as has a one volume version of a People's History of Christianity.  Christian Philosophy in the Early Church by Anthony Meredith is solidly academic etc. but I would suggest continuing to email (and add to the Suggestions forum) the works you'd like to see so that we can gauge general interest.

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 7:49 AM

Paul-C:

I'm disappointed to see this resource won't make it into publication, but in fairness to Faithlife, they promoted it well via blog posts, etc., and gave us a long time to get the orders in to make it work. Sadly, as Bruce says, it looks like the demand wasn't there. Sad

Yep. I deleted my order after waiting for a very long time. I could have used it at one point. I can imagine the difficulty of the translation and it is a two volume work. I checked in France and saw it was no longer in print.

Ergatees

Posts 789
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 9:25 AM

Rayner:

In my view, we're seeing some improvement in terms of volume which is, by nature, translating to improvement in diversity of resource.

That seems to be the case. My biggest disappointment is that certain Greek and Latin CP items are getting nowhere. But I applaud FL for putting them out there. (In this case, it just might be because so many of these texts are available in Perseus editions so user incentive is diminished.)

In fact, in general, my feelings of being abnormal (in an academic sense Smile) is more related to what users want rather than what FL is offering. (I was also hoping Beyond New Testament Theology would take off, but it is also languishing. It was originally slightly surprising to me that FL offered it.)

But I digress. I'll not lose hope regarding Spicq, even in French (hint, hint)!

Posts 76
Ryan Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 10:15 AM

Ergatees:

I checked in France and saw it was no longer in print.

You can find it in French at the publisher's website. http://www.gabalda.com/l-epitre-aux-hebreux.html

Helping people find seminary scholarships and church jobs.

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 1:02 PM

Ryan Burns:

Ergatees:

I checked in France and saw it was no longer in print.

You can find it in French at the publisher's website. http://www.gabalda.com/l-epitre-aux-hebreux.html

Umm, thanks. That was interesting. I see the original date as 1977. I suppose I checked out "Le Cerf" at the time and maybe did a search but did not come up with Gabaldi which was new to me; but I should have known about it. I have had a good friend who was a translator for Le Cerf (I think now they are writing "LeCerf". This is a catholic publishing house in Paris. I am committed to spending less money these days for books but thanks, Ryan, for this useful information which may interest other users of the forum.

Ergatees

Posts 76
Ryan Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2015 1:39 PM

I only knew about Gabalda because of Cliff's post.

Helping people find seminary scholarships and church jobs.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS