Logos 6.3 (6.3.0.0038) now available

Page 3 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 70 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2015 2:10 PM

I have the blue circle with a "1" in it.  I close out and restart but the blue circle and the "1" remain.

I talked with support this morning, they got on my system, deleted some files, the circle went away.  

I am using Chrome and Windows 7 Pro.

Any thoughts?

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2015 2:14 PM

Forgot to say it starting happening again at support fixed it.

Posts 2769
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2015 2:17 PM

Joe Mayden:

I have the blue circle with a "1" in it.  I close out and restart but the blue circle and the "1" remain.

I talked with support this morning, they got on my system, deleted some files, the circle went away.  

I am using Chrome and Windows 7 Pro.

Any thoughts?

Please start a new thread with this information and attach your log files.

There is currently one known situation with this notification not going away, which should be cleared up soon with an upcoming resource update.
https://community.logos.com/forums/t/104895.aspx

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 3747
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2015 2:50 PM

Dave Hooton:

An alternative, easier method is:

1. Open File Explorer to the place where the Logos folder is e.g. %LOCALAPPDATA%\Logos
  2. Create a copy of the 6.3.0.0038 folder and rename it as System e.g. copy 6.3.0.0038, paste it and rename it.

If Smart Tags worked before they will work now you have a System folder.

I already had a System folder & wasn't sure what to do with it; your method implied that it wasn't needed any more, so (in order not to lose anything else that might be needed in the existing system folder) I copied/pasted the contents of the6.3.0.0038 folder into my existing System folder. All appears to be working correctly.....

THANKS, Dave!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 147
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2015 6:43 PM

Randy W. Sims:

Pete De Bonte:
Any more ideas if Update now fails? 

See Alabama's post above for instruction on logging. Enable logging, open Verbum and run the "update now" command,…

Thanks Randy!  I additionally deleted the logs before reproducing the problem (to reduce log bulk/clutter), and when I examined Verbum.log (searched for "Update now" and then started reading), that clarified the problem enough for me.

Kudos to the Faithlife devs! : )

Posts 27049
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2015 8:14 PM

BillS:
I already had a System folder & wasn't sure what to do with it; your method implied that it wasn't needed any more,

Faithlife decided to do away with the \Logos\System folder in order to facilitate background installation of Logos/Verbum. An installation of v6.3 should therefore have removed the System folder and replaced it with a version-specific folder i.e. 6.3.0.0038. The previous one is retained e.g. 6.3.0.0037 and any other is removed (so there are only two version-specific folders).

BillS:
I copied/pasted the contents of the6.3.0.0038 folder into my existing System folder.

And that gave you the backwards compatibility for existing Smart Tags

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 173
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2015 9:11 AM

Thanks for the link, Mark. But why remove user-installed fonts in the first place?! The SIL fonts are fonts I and a number of SIL colleagues had installed independently of Logos. It's a bit of a pain to have to do that again...

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2015 9:33 AM

Paul Unger:

Thanks for the link, Mark. But why remove user-installed fonts in the first place?! The SIL fonts are fonts I and a number of SIL colleagues had installed independently of Logos. It's a bit of a pain to have to do that again...

I guess the installer didn't recognise that you'd installed them manually, and assumed the previous installer had done it. I accept it's a pain, but it won't happen again.

Posts 244
LogosEmployee
Ryan Gano (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2015 9:40 AM

Paul Unger:

Unfortunately, we don't know whether a font was installed by our install process or a user. This means we cannot make a decision to keep user installed fonts but remove fonts installed by an earlier version of Logos.

We understand that this will cause pain for some users during the 6.3 update and have tried to mitigate that pain with our support document which helps users find and install the fonts they need to have access to in other applications. It's worth noting that we've recently included a link to the support page in the 6.3 release notes.

I'm sorry that you need to re-install fonts you had already manually installed. We do not expect this to be an issue in future updates to the software.

Posts 173
Paul Unger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2015 9:54 AM

Thanks for the explanation. I'll pass it along.

Posts 1333
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2015 6:03 PM

I just want to say that so far, this update is working great! I've added resources twice without having to restart and nary a hitch.

I was having a problem with updates before--something is a little off with my Windows BITS, and I'd have to reboot multiple times before I could get Logos to download anything. This update fixed that problem.

Good job!

Posts 13
David Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2015 1:42 AM

any idea when the sr is coming out to fix the smart tag problem?

Posts 3205
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2015 2:26 AM

Great Work! Thank you Logos.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 27049
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2015 3:52 AM

David Grace:

See the earlier post from Dylan.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2015 7:48 AM

David Grace:

Dave linked to the wrong post. This is the correct post (which says "this week"): https://community.logos.com/forums/p/105057/727661.aspx#727661 

Posts 28
Steven White | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2015 8:10 AM

Mark, 

Can the installer be modified so it gives a warning message listing the fonts it wants to uninstall, and permit the user to choose to keep them?

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/105295/728428.aspx#728428

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2015 8:59 AM

Steven White:
Can the installer be modified so it gives a warning message listing the fonts it wants to uninstall, and permit the user to choose to keep them?

Only Faithlife can answer that, but I would think it's probably too late now. The problem only affects people who were using a version of Logos prior to 6.3 who then upgrade to 6.3. I would suspect that by the time the installer script could be rewritten and tested, the vast majority of people who were going to upgrade will have done so.

It's a shame the issue never arose in beta testing, as that would have given Faithlife more time to work on a solution. I was on the beta program, and a few days after I installed 6.3 beta I did notice that my Gentium fonts had disappeared. Unfortunately, I didn't connect the event to installing Logos, but assumed it was because of some Windows problems I'd been having.

Posts 12106
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2015 11:49 AM

Mark Barnes:

It's a shame the issue never arose in beta testing, as that would have given Faithlife more time to work on a solution. I was on the beta program, and a few days after I installed 6.3 beta I did notice that my Gentium fonts had disappeared. Unfortunately, I didn't connect the event to installing Logos, but assumed it was because of some Windows problems I'd been having.

But it didn't come up in the beta release notes either. I remember people asking for information about the changes in the prerequisites and some issues that related to the deinstall of an older runtime module. No idea why they thought to keep this secret until it shipped to stable. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 21 2015 1:20 PM

Mark Barnes:

David Grace:

Dave linked to the wrong post. This is the correct post (which says "this week"): https://community.logos.com/forums/p/105057/727661.aspx#727661 

Sorry for the trouble, but we've changed the timeline and are pushing back the SR to get some additional testing on it. 

I don't often give release dates, so I apologize for the delay. Embarrassed The release will be more stable for the wait, however!

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 28
Steven White | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 5:52 PM

Faithlife people,

can you confirm this statement of Mark Barnes, that uninstalling fonts only happens when a user upgrades from Logos 6.0 to 6.2 to 6.3? If a user has some of these fonts installed, and installs Logos 6.3 as a new Logos user, will the fonts be uninstalled?

Page 3 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS