Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2015 9:49 PM

alabama24:
That isnt really how iOS works. I know when I say this, someone jumps up and gives some obscure exception... iOS apps aren't designed (and apple does a good job of preventing) side loading of external data.

I disagree... Drop Box for one is an example... Accordance for another example allows one you to Sync personal books and even install modules to save on downloading them.

-Dan

Posts 78
Aaron W | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 4:04 AM

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks that this is really a no-brainer for Logos.

I would think that this would be a HUGE way for Logos to garner new customers.  For a while, I didn't know that I had the ability to convert my books to PBB and use in Logos. 

I wonder how many people shy away from using the Logos platform because they've already purchased so many Kindle/iBooks and hesitate because they don't think they can have all their digital purchases in one place.

I am always telling my pastor friends about Logos, but I wonder if I'd be more inclined to share, even with folks who might not need the functionality of a full-fledged theological library, if they could seamlessly connect their already purchased digital goods into Logos.  Seems like a huge win-win for Logos, to me.

But for a huge majority of that population, they're not doing their reading on their desktop/laptops...they're using their ipads, kindles, etc. 

Come on, Logos, don't let us down.

Posts 27542
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 5:02 AM

Drop Box? huh? That's a cloud based app!

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2392
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 5:36 AM

alabama24:

David Ames:
My idea / suggestion was for FL to supply us with the tools on our computers to move the PBB resources to our own mobiles.

That isnt really how iOS works. I know when I say this, someone jumps up and gives some obscure exception... iOS apps aren't designed (and apple does a good job of preventing) side loading of external data.

Am NOT an Apps programmer.  That said can an app on iOS import a file that is on the device but not in its sandbox into its sandbox?

[Define side loading as where a file just shows up in the space of an app.  Apps are designed to only accept files from their producer such as FL.  Define Sandbox - where an App can 'play' in its sandbox and no where else - the rest of the world is prevented from playing in the Apps sandbox - space] 

[[I wonder if FL can import PBB files into some mobiles but not others and is not releasing until they figure out how to import into all?]]

Posts 2392
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 5:47 AM

Denise:

Obscure ... iTunes?

Question: Are not Apps like iTunes and text file editors and PDF readers designed to look in some designated folders on the device.  The files used by  an editor or PDF reader are not in the Apps sandbox but they are where the program App expects them to be [in a common folder like Documents or Downloads].  Those files [txt, doc, pdf] have no effect on how the App runs - just on what the App does.  And it 'appears' that the FL Apps import the files into their sandbox rather then read them from a common folder like Documents or Downloads.  

Posts 27542
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 6:18 AM

Dan Francis:
Accordance for another example

Question: Is Accordance a "signed" Mac app? 

EDIT - I just checked and Accordance is in the Mac App store... I think that would make a big difference. Does the handoff work from within Accordance when the phone is physically connected to the computer?

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 12:48 PM

I do not own the mac store edition. Handoff, as I understand this feature,  is not an accordance feature at this time. The process for syncing is pushing a sync button on your app and then one in your accordance app. letting you choose the items you wish to install from your desktop install and your device (both devices must be on the same wifi network or the device connected to the computer via a cable). If Logos implemented such a process they could allow users to install Personal Books onto their devices.

-Dan

Posts 27542
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 1:39 PM

Dan Francis:
Handoff, as I understand this feature,  is not an accordance feature at this time.

Sorry, I shouldn't have used "handoff," as I didn't mean the Apple OS X feature. I just meant syncing of resources. Do you know if Accordance is digitally signed?

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 3:12 PM

Obviously every APP store APP is digitally signed but as for the version I am using this is a question I cannot answer that in the Get info window I compared the Accordance (non-store) and Olivetree (mac store)... From the get info window i could see no difference. If you know of a way for me to tell if Accordance is signed I will check.

-Dan

Posts 27542
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 3:21 PM

Dan Francis:
If you know of a way for me to tell if Accordance is signed I will check.

I don't know, sorry. I assume that it is since they have the app in the Mac App Store. 

My theory/question (which we won't be able to answer): Is Accordance able to sync directly between desktop and mobile BECAUSE it is signed? I know that Apple is very concerned about sandboxing apps, especially on mobile... so I assume there is some sort of system where the two apps get the "you're good" from Apple.

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 3:31 PM

I have asked on the Accordance forums if it is... If it is I know it still works with their Windows version EDIT:(WiFi sync with Accordance for iOS is labeled as not yet implemented, but is ;labeled as planned), so if it was something Faithlife wished to do theoretically it should be possible. I am 90% sure FL has a plan for PBB on mobile devices... but when and how is the big question but seeing no one is saying anything here I am guess it is not even a close to beta testing thing (although I would really like to be wrong about that).

-Dan

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 3:44 PM

Dan Francis:
seeing no one is saying anything here

Dave posted on PBB two weeks ago - https://community.logos.com/forums/p/104935/725730.aspx#725730 .

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 3:53 PM

Thanks Kevin... I had missed that... and so I see nothing is yet planned :( I had thought things might be very different with the desktop syncing of PBB.

-Dan

Posts 27542
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 5:55 PM

Dan Francis:
WiFi sync with Accordance for iOS is labeled as not yet implemented, but is ;labeled as planned

Wait, so you are telling me that they can't do this yet? I thought you were doing this yourself?

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 6:57 PM

WINDOWS Accordance can not do it yet... Mac Accordance does.

-Dan

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 7:39 PM

Dan Francis:

Thanks Kevin... I had missed that... and so I see nothing is yet planned :( I had thought things might be very different with the desktop syncing of PBB.

-Dan

If any statements made by Faithlife might have misled you about the current state of syncing Personal Books to mobile, I apologize.  As a rule we don't make forward-looking statements or give timelines regarding features that may or may not come to fruition.  The reason is simple; features, schedules and priorities can (and often do) change - and no promise at all is much better than a broken one.

Posts 5248
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 27 2015 8:16 PM

Kevin Byford:
If any statements made by Faithlife might have misled you about the current state of syncing Personal Books to mobile, I apologize.

I do not feel mislead (I misREAD the announcement that syncing was coming to Logos 6 for PBBs). I just wish I could have my personal books on my iPad..although maybe it is only a dream.

-Dan

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 1:32 AM

Dan Francis:

I just wish I could have my personal books on my iPad..although maybe it is only a dream.

-Dan

That's understandable, Dan. You're not alone, many have the same dream you have. After all, it is the #2 most requested feature of them all (scroll down a little bit after you click the link):

https://logosmobile.uservoice.com/forums/190765-logos-mobile-apps/filters/top

Feel free to cast in your vote for that feature too if you haven't already, although I can't guarantee it'll change much at this point lol.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 1:41 AM

alabama24:

Dan Francis:
WiFi sync with Accordance for iOS is labeled as not yet implemented, but is ;labeled as planned

Wait, so you are telling me that they can't do this yet? I thought you were doing this yourself?

Accordance for Mac (I can't speak about the Windows version) supports WiFi cloud sync through Dropbox, the cloud storage service. I have used that before and it does work pretty good, although I still prefer the Logos server syncing of highlights and notes system by far.

Accordance for Mac also seems to support some type of sync via USB cable, but I have not tried it out personally so I cannot vouch for how effective it is or how it compares to the DropBox sync.

Posts 27542
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 28 2015 8:25 AM

Tim Taylor:
Accordance for Mac (I can't speak about the Windows version) supports WiFi cloud sync through Dropbox, the cloud storage service.

So as of yet, we still don't have any verification of syncing between desktop and mobile. Accordance is syncing with a cloud service! That is quite different than what was suggested earlier.

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS