logos 6 blunder

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 24843
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 22 2015 9:57 PM

Larry Craig:
 I know these forums are helpful, but I was at that page and still needed  help.

I agree, as I could only be sure of the correct Gentium font by copying it from my wife's computer before upgrading to v6.3 i.e. copy from Control Panel >> Fonts.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 23 2015 1:49 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

This page has a list of all the fonts along with links to download them: https://www.logos.com/support/logos6/windows/missing-fonts

I think FaithLife should clarify the above web page particularly with respect to the statement...

"Not previously available for Mac"

because that is misleading/incorrect and basically comes down to the fact that not many people (FaithLife included because of its main history with Windows) understand how Mac OS X applications are made.

An OS X application is a special 'bundle' which is actually made up of operating system folders, to the user browsing their computer though it looks like a file. Any Mac owner can view the 'contents' of the application by selecting the application 'file' then right mouse clicking and choosing 'Show Package Contents'.

For versions of Logos below 6.3 if one showed the package contents and navigated through them they would find in 'Contents/Resources/Fonts' all of the Logos specific fonts.

In the case of Logos 6.3 (and above I assume) FaithLife has (on the Mac) made an application within an application and it is now this...

Logos Bible Software 6/Contents/Frameworks/FaithlifeDesktop.framework/Versions/Current[which is link to actual version]/Helpers/Logos Bible Software 6/Contents/Resources/Fonts

when you get to the second 'Logos Bible Software 6' you have to, again, inspect it and choose 'Show Package Contents' to drill down into it.

I assume FaithLife has changed (made more complicated) the Logos app for purposes of new features they have done with version 6.3.

Anyway... all of the fonts that Logos uses are in that folder, previously Mac users could extract the fonts out and install them in their general OS X fonts so they could be used in other applications. So it is not strictly correct to say that previously they were not available for the Mac.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 244
LogosEmployee
Ryan Gano (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2015 10:24 AM

Patrick S.:
"Not previously available for Mac"

It is correct that you can open the app bundle and install fonts directly from it. In previous versions this was the only way to get fonts. (Which meant you had to have a decent idea of what you were doing).

Now we've included steps and links to help users install fonts on the mac. While not "technically (fully) correct", the wording of the support page is intended to help all mac users get fonts installed. In the past less technically inclined users have not had that ability.

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS